Expat interest in politics in Malaysia

Hello everyone,

As an expat, your day-to-day life in Malaysia is impacted by decision-making at the political level in your host country as well as in your country of origin. We would like to know how involved you think expats should be in the political day-to-day of either their host or home country?

Can expats vote during elections which take place in their country of origin? Can you do so online or through embassies/consulates in Malaysia?

What is the administrative process which has been set up in Malaysia to enable expats to vote in their country of origin?

To which extent should political life in Malaysia include expats and their concerns? Should they be more active as a community to make their voices heard?

Are there any precautionary measures to observe during election period in your host country? Any local prohibitions?

Do you keep up with politics in Malaysia?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

Throughout most of my life I have stayed well away from both politics and religion and most of my adult life has been as an expat working and living in several different countries. In certain countries it is not advisable to get involved or even be seen as being vocal in politics. These include Singapore, Indonesia and very much Malaysia. In fact, when I got my MM2H one of the rules was that we do not partake in anything political.

Of course, expats need to be very aware of what is happening politically, now and in the future. This can affect stability in the country, property prices, currency fluctuations and whether you may or may not be kicked out of a country.

As for the politics back home, I have my own personal thoughts and hopes for Brexit, but there is absolutely no point to discuss it here because people tend to get very worked up about it. And in the end, whatever happens happens.

I have voted once in my life when I was a student in London. Unless I return to England to live I probably won't vote again.

I'm an American and remain quite involved with following the events in my homeland. I'm registered to vote abroad, although my understanding is that US citizens abroad can only vote for State and Federal level offices in the State they were last resident within. Once one is registered one has to renew their registration annually. That's a bit of a hassle.

Different States have different rules for qualifying. Some allow one to fax or even use internet to submit the ballot, others require a mail in ballot which requires one the submit the ballot quite a bit before the election. Or one can drop of the ballot at an embassy/consulate and they will take it by diplomatic pouch to the US and put it in the public mail from there. You have to have the correct US postage or obtain a postage paid envelope from the FVAP website

https://www.fvap.gov/eo/overview/materials/formshttps://travel.state.gov/content/travel … oting.html

As to the philosophy "whatever happens, happens"...my view is that if one doesn't participate then one is allowing others (sometimes very poorly informed) to make the decision for you that will affect your life and others. I'm 68 and only have failed to vote twice in my life...both due to the difficulty of getting registered after a move.

The votes of USA citizen expats are already watered down immensely...there are 9 million taxpaying US expats living abroad...the equivalence of New Jersey in population...but we don't have any Senators or Congresspersons devoted for issues that relate to us (taxation, Medicare, foreign service representation). New Jersey has two Senators and 12 Congresspersons, by comparison. And most of us come from gerrymandered districts structured to get the incumbents or the highest number of the majority party in the state elected. Still there were some very close races in 2016 and 2018...a few hundred or thousand voters in a state can make a difference. That's why I vote.

As to local Malaysian politics...stay away from being in demos, political rallies, getting involved in political parties, etc. I even faced n accusation and hassle with Immigration because someone charge me with making an "aspersion on the character of the State Minister". I hadn't, and wouldn't (I sort of like the Minister actually...it was the other person who had insulted the SM - and PM- actually). Since the conversation was in private and there were no witnesses there was no real case. But it WAS a hassle and I still wonder if the false claim sits in my file. Almost everyone says "that's coffee shop talk".

But there you go...you can even try to avoid politics and someone with a grudge or personal issue can use that as a cudgel in a state where there are laws against freedom of political discourse. Ditto with blasphemy or the lése majesté laws (not insulting the the royal family) law in Thailand. People can simply accuse one of violating these laws and that can be sufficient for creating huge issues.

My MM2H letter states "You are strictly forbidden from participating in activities sensitive to local people, politics, missionary (sic) and activities that are provocative, instigative in nature, and sensitive that could be a threat to the security of the country."

Now a legal scholar would point out that most of those words are extremely vague..."participating in activities sensitive to local people". Two local people could complain you have a pet dog in a well fenced area where starts run around the kampong at will. But they don't like you keeping a dog.

Or they could find out you are a Johnson or Trump supporter...or conversely Obama or Corbin. They don't like a particular version of US or UK politics and discussing your views at a bar with fellow expats.

Activities that are "provocative in nature"...arguing that you've been overcharged for a bill? "Instigative in nature"...you should have known that demanding a refund would have instigated a fight.

Is a discussion about Christianity in a group that happens to contain a Muslim or Hindu "missionary" in nature? Or an atheist or agnostic saying (after being asked) why they don't believe in god? Neither is asking people to sign up for their faith or lack of it) but it could be "provocative" in terms of getting the person to think and compare religions. One could say education and knowledge is provocative by its very nature.

"Why do you believe in evolution?" Provocative?

Now a really good lawyer would note that all of those restrictions lack an  "OR" cause and are terminated by "AND sensitive that could be a threat to the security of the country."

So the prosecution would have to establish that the act or instigation or provocation was a real threat to the survival and security of Malaysia. Make sure anyone that threatens you with expulsion is aware of that last clause and that they will have to prove you are a threat to the existence of Malaysia. And that you will sue them for the costs of the legal assistance you need and recommend they are liable to the costs for the wasting the Courts time.