Anything new on 1 year visas for people from the EU?

I have lived here last 3 years.

We all know that Vietnam has suspended 1 year visas, but they have not introduced anything to support people who work from here for a company outside of Vietnam.

I am spending 2000USD monthly and I am not welcomed unfortunately. I dont mind leaving every quarter, what I do mind is the fact I cannot get my driving license, I cannot get a bank account, nothing. For all this I need 1 year visas.

Does anyone know if there is some light at the end of the tunnel?

If nothing changes soon, I am gonna move to Thailand, where there is retirement visa for people like me, where I am welcomed to stay.

Why do they hate us, for spending money here, bringing the good part of western culture?

francoa22 wrote:

Why do they hate us, for spending money here, bringing the good part of western culture?

Not really disagreeing, but are you sure that the money is the "good part of western culture"?  :unsure

Like you, I've lived here for 4 years, and i as SURE AS HELL would not be spending 2,000 USD on monthly living costs in ANY nation, not even my home city ( New York ).

The US 1 year "tourist" visa was a pilot program a few years ago, and it remains because Americans are the smallest number of tourist visiting VN.

Their problem with other nationals isn't their nationality but their constant seeking to find "loopholes" even naively.

There has never been a 1 Year "tourist" visa for anyone other than US citizens. There are however 6 month, & 1 year BUSINESS visas for just about every nationality. You simply have to qualify.

There have been a lot of Visa Agencies that have been issuing visas fraudulently for the past several years, and have been getting busted regularly for the last 14 months. Why would you assume that Vietnam is to blame for the illegal activities of visa agencies?

If your solution is to throw money at a nation to obtain a retirement location ... there are a multitude of nations that you can purchase citizenship. Try one of them!

I can not recall where I said that money is western culture. You are mixing two things

I dont know, but, are you talking to me? Go and open your own topic, about fraudulant visas or whatever is your issue.

I am saying that I live here, have a job abroad and I would love to legalize the whole thing. Most countries in SE Asia have different retirement visas of this kind.

Buddy, fraudulant activities are all over the world, no wonder they are in Vietnam as well.

But that is not my concern really. I do not do any illegal activities.

Third largest foreign community in my own country is Vietnamese..I surely dont bash them for staying there!

I don't have a dog in this pissing match but the Philippines do have a retirement visa and the requirements haven't changed in many years.

your text states 1 year visa. which is obviously not what is from the embassy text .... which i posted. It also does not state a guarantee time period ... you can APPLY for any time period, but ultimately you will get whatever term they want to give you, regardless of the amount you pay ( again, similar to VN long term residency permits ).

clearly you are not reading the words "Not to Exceed 10 years".... The reality is what you find "on the ground" in Thailand .... Rarely will you find a person that has been approved for longer than 5, and most often it is 1 year. ( by that definition i am a "retiree" in Vietnam. ) I sooooooo wish it were true!!!

So what is the difference between Thailand & Vietnam? ( Please do not mention the Girls! I would hands down agree that Thai Hookers are sooooo much better than Viet hookers ). However, in terms of "finances" there simply is no real difference.

Retirement is supposed to be about "stability". "Change" is the OPPOSITE of "STABLE".

So if you are foolish enough to camp your arse in a location that can effectively pull the rug out from under your "stable retirement" the ONLY result is you losing whatever you SPENT.

your claim of "I pay, so i should get what i want" is simply invalid .... In fact, most immigration visas are based on ACTION. Which is why you can't get what you want in VN, because you don't "DO" anything.

To get a long term visa in VN, you have to DO something to EARN it. If "marriage" is not your cup of tea, than Open a Business .... VN Business Licenses are relatively easy ( albeit actually finding resources for business is a living nightmare in any field ).

Or you can just sit around and claim you have money and demand that the locals give you what you want ( It sure doesn't seem to be working for the Chinese, but maybe you will have better luck - but after 3 years you are still complaining ).

zincity wrote:

I don't have a dog in this pissing match but the Philippines do have a retirement visa and the requirements haven't changed in many years.

I did not say they DID NOT HAVE ONE .... i said it has gone.

The "investment amount" was allowed to be used after X period ( 1 year? ) .... That changed, which basically means that the investor had to store their money in a PH bank, untouched .... touching it was grounds for visa removal that was "selectively" enforced. PH was basically using it as a means to collect foreign interest. It would have been a good idea, except there were a lot of SSI ( disability retires (Army Vets I am guessing?)) that were forced to decide between their medical treatment and their residency permit. Which is why it is no longer a "top retiree destination" for Americans any longer.... But it was a damn good place for over a decade prior to that.

The Age limit changed ( down to 35 now ( I think its 35 on the SRRV )), which is why you see Americans getting arrested in crazy numbers over the past year ... Too many pedophiles. ( If that is what you call 30 year olds banging 16 year old hookers ).

Then you have (Daesh / I.S.I.S ) Island .... which isnt really "New" but the US Military Involvement made it publicly known and killed off what is left of the "desperate" retirees.

Oddly enough ... "Central America" is the new "Retiree Hotspot" for westerners ... God... I HATED Panama....

your claim of "I pay, so i should get what i want" is simply invalid .... In fact, most immigration visas are based on ACTION. Which is why you can't get what you want in VN, because you don't "DO" anything.

Can you at least stop lying man?  I was simply asking whether someone knows something about future of long term visas, nothing else. If I would want to buy my longterm visas with money, I just open LLC here and Ill have it.

You keep mentioning the money all over again...why are you so interested in that, does money mean so much to you? For me , money doesnt mean anything, I can live without them the same way I live with them.

Btw, I was pretty frequently visiting Vietnam already 10 yrs before I decided to stay here. I just love the country and chose to be here. I also give money monthly to the charity here, to support vietnamese kids in schools in the countryside etc.

Most of the time I buy things from very local SMB people where I always give something on top, same as to grab drivers, and anyone I deal with. Because I can afford it and I feel that giving away is a nice thing to do.

I am very sorry for my interest in change in visa rules here, please, dont feel ofended by it, it has nothing to do with you, it really does not. Even tho, you are the only foreigner in Vietnam with legal retirement visa :)

Hi everyone,

Some posts have been removed from this topic. Can you please stop arguing and concentrate on the initial topic and give useful information that can help other expats?

Thank you,
Christine

francoa22 wrote:

Can you at least stop lying man?  I was simply asking whether someone knows something about future of long term visas, nothing else. If I would want to buy my longterm visas with money, I just open LLC here and Ill have it.

You keep mentioning the money all over again...why are you so interested in that, does money mean so much to you? For me , money doesnt mean anything, I can live without them the same way I live with them.

Btw, I was pretty frequently visiting Vietnam already 10 yrs before I decided to stay here. I just love the country and chose to be here. I also give money monthly to the charity here, to support vietnamese kids in schools in the countryside etc.

Most of the time I buy things from very local SMB people where I always give something on top, same as to grab drivers, and anyone I deal with. Because I can afford it and I feel that giving away is a nice thing to do.

I am very sorry for my interest in change in visa rules here, please, dont feel ofended by it, it has nothing to do with you, it really does not. Even tho, you are the only foreigner in Vietnam with legal retirement visa :)

Does someone know what the "FUTURE" will bring? ..... SURE.... let us bring out our crystal ball!!! ....

razzle dazzle .... My crystal says "NO RETIREMENT VISA"

I mention "Money" because it was used as a justification by you for entitlement of a long term visa.

There are countless "NGO" "charities" in VN ..... and nearly ALL of them are scammy as hell ... I am so glad you contributed. But again, you did not "DO" anything to "EARN" a long term visa ( or retirement visa ) in Vietnam.

There is NO STABLE RETIREMENT plan in South East Asia..... If you need verification of such claim, look at the locals to see what THEY do as a retirement plan ( They have lots of babies in hopes that one of them will be smart enough to afford / take care of them in their older age )..... You have no interest in Marriage, thus THAT option wont work for you either.

So i repeat it again .... NO RETIREMENT for you!!! You can TRY Thailand, and i honestly wish you would! Just so you can repeat the same mistakes they ones previously to you did.

Think LONG and HARD about what you believe life would be like at 70+ years old in VN with ANY type of medical problems. God forbid it would result in your death if it was a SERIOUS medical problem.

Hi everyone,

Some posts have been removed from this topic. Can you please stop arguing and concentrate on the initial topic and give useful information that can help other expats?

Thank you,
Christine

Thanks for that Christine, but I am done. I came for help and I havent had such a acid conversation in a long time. Ill just delete my registration here. I never thought that expat forum can look like this.

you must not have seen internations .... they are MUCH worse!

francoa22 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thank you,
Christine

Thanks for that Christine, but I am done. I came for help and I havent had such a acid conversation in a long time. Ill just delete my registration here. I never thought that expat forum can look like this.

You're leaving so soon?

I understand the pain in rear end this is. I work in HCM 1 week every month, rest of the time i am working in China and HK. since they stopped the 1 year business visa my passport is filling up fast with 3 month business visa's which then means a new passport and gives me all sorts of headaches renewing all my epasses in asia every time! having to do my TRC as the only way around it

understand the pain in rear end this is. I work in HCM 1 week every month, rest of the time i am working in China and HK. since they stopped the 1 year business visa my passport is filling up fast with 3 month business visa's which then means a new passport and gives me all sorts of headaches renewing all my epasses in asia every time! having to do my TRC as the only way around it

Not sure if this info is of any use to make your life easier, but did you know that in your circumstances the UK will allow you have 2 active passports?

I am eligible for a TRC ... i just have not gotten around to dealing with it since i have so much time left on my visa. Im sure the moment i begin that process i will have to deal with some type of ungodly paperwork nightmare.

moscowmetro wrote:

understand the pain in rear end this is. I work in HCM 1 week every month, rest of the time i am working in China and HK. since they stopped the 1 year business visa my passport is filling up fast with 3 month business visa's which then means a new passport and gives me all sorts of headaches renewing all my epasses in asia every time! having to do my TRC as the only way around it

Not sure if this info is of any use to make your life easier, but did you know that in your circumstances the UK will allow you have 2 active passports?

Do you know about the "qoute" function?

Instead of copying and pasting, click the three little dots next to the word "reply".

Then you can qoute (and edit what you are quoting).

It's also the place for reporting a post (helpful if you ever want to delete one of your own posts totally, just report yourself with a note to admin to delete).

Also, within 60 minutes of posting, an option will be available to edit your own post.

francoa22 wrote:

I have lived here last 3 years.

We all know that Vietnam has suspended 1 year visas,

I know the title of your thread specifies "EU".

Just noting for the casual reader that 1 Year Business Visas are still available for U.S. citizens.

francoa22 wrote:

but they have not introduced anything to support people who work from here for a company outside of Vietnam.

I'm trying to read this in a way that makes sense for the government of Vietnam; to "support" someone living here while the benefits of commerce generated by your "work" only accrue to another nation.

Here I'm talking about the work to which you allude, not the money you spend.

The "company outside Vietnam" is not willing to invest here in any tangible and committed manner.

It's simply you living here.

That's all the government sees.

If you were to formally establish your own business (or a branch of your foreign business) here in Vietnam, then I can see where the government might have an interest in supporting your business enterprises, which in fact, they do.

That's one path to obtaining a Temporary Residence Card.

Or, if you would commit yourself to investing in a Vietnamese business, beyond the money you might be spending for a hotel and meals and beer and routine tourist services, then your extended presence here would be deemed worthy of the government's "support", as described in this forum thread:

Steps to obtain an Investor TRC (Temporary Residence Card) in Vietnam

francoa22 wrote:

I am spending 2000USD monthly and I am not welcomed unfortunately.

Seriously, this argument is specious, at best.

It assumes that you know what is important and worthwhile to the communist government of Vietnam.

Just because Panama and Thailand and some other countries have decided to develop programs favoring retirees doesn't mean that the Vietnamese government considers us (yes, me too) as worthy of special support in return for us living and spending money here.

francoa22 wrote:

I dont mind leaving every quarter, what I do mind is the fact I cannot get my driving license, I cannot get a bank account, nothing. For all this I need 1 year visas.

This is factually incorrect.

Please follow the links posted in this sticky thread describing current regulations for foreigners obtaining a new bank account

If your "3 years" here has been continuous for the past 9 months, and you are currently here on an additional 3 months tourist visa, then a bank CAN open an account for you.

You don't need a 1 year visa to meet the legal requirements.

You only need proof at least 1 year of approved presence in Vietnam.

However, a bank is not REQUIRED to open an account for you, so you have to shop around for a bank that wants your business.

It's helpful to have a Vietnamese citizen go along with you to help with introductions and explaining your unique situation.

TIMO Bank will almost certainly open an account for you.

ACB Bank will likely do so as well.

Keep in mind that you may choose a bank that misinterprets the current regulations just as you have.

You may also encounter one of those banking employees with an attitude who will answer every question with a 'no'.

That's not unique to Vietnam.

Again, shop around.

francoa22 wrote:

Does anyone know if there is some light at the end of the tunnel?

If nothing changes soon, I am gonna move to Thailand, where there is retirement visa for people like me, where I am welcomed to stay.

As you have described your individual situation, Thailand may very well be your best option.

Of course, you will need to deposit a very large sum of money in one of their Banks, or, you will need to be able to prove a certain level of monthly income.

The Thailand forum has much better info on that than I could give you.

But if you look at the trends for the last 5 Years, it's getting increasingly expensive to live in Thailand, while Vietnam continues to be a much more affordable option.

If you've got enough money to meet the requirements for moving to Thailand for a long term, you probably have enough money to invest in a business here.

francoa22 wrote:

I'm guessing you must be serious, so I won't disrespect you by laughing at this incredible statement.

Do some people here hate us?

Sure.

There are people everywhere in the world who hate others who are different from them.

But the premise is narcissistic at best.

It presumes that we should be loved because we are spending money.

As for us bringing "the good part of Western culture", you must have blinders on when in the company of other foreigners, and you must be totally uninformed about the schemes and illicit  enterprises which foreigners perpetrate here on a daily basis.

Yes, there are some good foreigners here.

But there are also a lot of drunks.

There are a lot of whoremongers.

There are a lot of mean-spirited people who want to live here because it's cheaper, while despising the people of this country.

There are drug addicts.

Money laundering is a huge problem.

So is smuggling.

Also, it's been my experience that the majority of foreigners I've met here have very little respect for the cultural values of this society.

So if there is hatred, it's not because you spend money, unless of course, you are spending money to support an illicit or illegal enterprise.

And just be aware that your deep pockets don't make you appear any different then a Chinese or Portuguese or French or Japanese invader to many people here.

I highly recommend this book:

The Ugly American

to understand why some Vietnamese people might not feel like rolling out the welcome mat for more foreigners bearing gifts.

hahahaha very good post that from Oceanbeach. You have made some good points & some good advice on bank accounts there.

BUT as a retiree here too I have to disagree with some parts regarding the retiree,s value to the Vietnamese economy. I have lived here 12 years & I live a pretty quiet life here & try to blend in & contribute my little bit. I have bought my own Moto & have it regularly serviced at the shop I bought it from & pay average 400kvnd every month aprox. I pay electric bills, apartment maint bills, buy food, have holidays at Da Lat, Vinh Long, Ho Tram etc etc aprox 3 days ever month. I take care of my GF 2 kids financially, I have built 2 houses, 1 hotel & paid for 3 apartments here, so I think the Vietnamese government do owe me something & I owe them for the pleasure of living here on the cheap for sure, but the least they could do is help by not having a 68 year old having to fly out & come back every 3 months (fighting my way through the visa on arrival procedure at airport when 4 or 5 international flights have come in all at once)
Another thing I find really strange to be honest & a bit blunt ( maybe you can explain) is why only Americans get a 1 year Visa when historicaly after what you did here the Vietmamese government & people have good reason to dislike you.

moscowmetro wrote:

Another thing I find really strange to be honest & a bit blunt ( maybe you can explain) is why only Americans get a 1 year Visa when historicaly after what you did here the Vietmamese government & people have good reason to dislike you.

The 1 year business visa originally was a reciprocity matter as part of the TPP.  The US gives 1 yr business visas to Vietnamese so the Vietnamese had to give the same.  When Trump pulled out of TPP, they may have simply decided to keep it and see how it went.  The 1 year tourist visa, which is really 4 back to back 90 day visas is a little more difficult to explain.

With respect to the war,  the US is now ironically Vietnam's potential protector in the East Sea, unless our current president asks them to "pay up" as he has demanded of NATO.  That Coast Guard vessel in Da Nang harbor was a gift from the US.  The other thing is that at over 2 million, the overseas Vietnamese population in the US is 8-10 times greater than that of any other country.  The government has an interest in keeping these people returning and spending.

[Post under review]

well .... that is sort of a "half truth". The US has no real interest in VN, but it does have a military interest in China .... The old Proverb: "The Enemy of my Enemy is my friend" comes to mind. The US has been trying to pick small proxy fights with China for the last 6 years, and it can't very well fire the first shot. BUT it can get all buddy buddy with its neighbors claiming to "defend" their sovereignty attempting to look like "good guys".

Timo Bank doesnt open account for anyone without 12 months visas, please, do your research. No bank will do...maybe a year ago, not now

And I am not ugly american, I am not american. I am kind a nice person and my post refers to the fact that other nations around have some rwtirement/long visas for people who have money in bank or certain income. It is always good for the economy of the country and locals.

Vietnam makes things harder and harder.

No bank accoutn, cracking more on foreigners without driving license - which is fair..but, you cant get one without 12months visas etc.

jefJones wrote:

The US has no real interest in VN, but it does have a military interest in China ....

I find myself in agreement with you for once.  :joking:

francoa22 wrote:

Timo Bank doesnt open account for anyone without 12 months visas, please, do your research.

And I am not ugly american, I am not american. I am kind a nice person and my post refers to the fact that other nations around have some rwtirement/long visas for people who have money in bank or certain income. It is always good for the economy of the country and locals.

READ THE WORDS ....

TIMO opens accounts for persons proving a previous residency history ... IF they can not manage to prove history, THEN 12 month Visa is required.

How YOU measure economy is not the same as how a Government Measures Economy!

And what nation claims it to be their job to "MAKE PEOPLES LIVES EASY" ???

READ THE WORDS ....

TIMO opens accounts for persons proving a previous residency history ... IF they can not manage to prove history, THEN 12 month Visa is required.

Reading that its pretty clear then I think!

jefJones wrote:
francoa22 wrote:

Timo Bank doesnt open account for anyone without 12 months visas, please, do your research.

READ THE WORDS ....

How YOU measure economy is not the same as how a Government Measures Economy!

And what nation claims it to be their job to "MAKE PEOPLES LIVES EASY" ???

No, Timo has changed conditions in July. Stop giving advices before you resesearch the actual state of things

To be correct, this is the new thing from aprox 24.June, not a Timo think, but central bank rule. And yes, before that, you could get Timo account with your 3 month visa only

We would like to inform you of amended circulars pertaining to foreigners, issued by the State Bank of Vietnam, with regard to opening of accounts, debit cards, savings accounts and term deposit accounts.

1/ REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO OPEN A BANK ACCOUNT

As stated in Circular Nos. 19/2016/TT-NHNN and 26/2017/TT-NHNN, a foreigner is considered eligible to open a bank account and use bank cards if he/she is permitted to stay in Vietnam for 12 months or longer.

As per Circular 19/2016/TT-NHNN and 26/2017/TT-NHNN issued by the State Bank of Vietnam, foreigners who are able to provide documents confirming their residential status in Vietnam for at least 12 months will be eligible to open bank accounts. The required list of documents are as follows:

Valid Passport as per law, in an acceptable condition that is clearly readable and identifiable (picture and text) for verification; AND
One of the following valid documents with at least 12 months validity*:
+ Vietnam visa,  OR

+ Temporary resident card, OR

+ Permanent resident card

No, Timo has changed conditions in July. Stop giving advices before you resesearch the actual state of things

FFS guys, lets get this right, its got major implications for a lot of us living & banking here!

Go back and READ what he stated ..... you seem to be missing something. He stated exactly what the "exceptions" are..

They have changed the Term Deposit account as well

Term Deposit Accounts

From 5 July 2019, foreigners with a valid document proving residential status in Vietnam with at least 6 months validity will be eligible to open Term Deposit Accounts with a Term NOT greater than the remaining of its validity.
Existing Term Deposits opened before 5 July 2019 will be continued until its maturity.
In the event that you do not satisfy the requirements above and have not updated your Valid Visa or Resident Card details with us, please visit your nearest Timo Hangout to update them and to continue enjoying an uninterrupted banking experience.

you do realize that he posted all of this information over a month ago right? Do you think you are providing "new" information?

Anyone who doubts what I am saying..just call them okay;)

When you call the line, the first thing you hear “ If you are calling in regards of new regulation for foreigners....”

So, for the last time, newly, you have to have valid 12 monts visas, or residency card etc

i repeat, He already posted all of this a LONG TIME AGO.... YOU are the "new" one to the information, not us.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=859279

moscowmetro wrote:

hahahaha very good post that from Oceanbeach. You have made some good points & some good advice on bank accounts there.

BUT as a retiree here too I have to disagree with some parts regarding the retiree's value to the Vietnamese economy. I have lived here 12 years & I live a pretty quiet life here & try to blend in & contribute my little bit. I have bought my own Moto & have it regularly serviced at the shop I bought it from & pay average 400kvnd every month aprox. I pay electric bills, apartment maint bills, buy food, have holidays at Da Lat, Vinh Long, Ho Tram etc etc aprox 3 days ever month. I take care of my GF 2 kids financially, I have built 2 houses, 1 hotel & paid for 3 apartments here, so I think the Vietnamese government do owe me something & I owe them for the pleasure of living here on the cheap for sure, but the least they could do is help by not having a 68 year old having to fly out & come back every 3 months (fighting my way through the visa on arrival procedure at airport when 4 or 5 international flights have come in all at once)

I really appreciate the friendly tone of your reply 😎👍

When you talk about "building", what do you mean?

Was this legal contracting work?

Are you what the Vietnamese would consider to be an 'expert' in the building trades?

Or were you investing in a legal building project?

If so, on topic for the OP, you probably could have qualified for a TRC.

But I suspect you mean you've helped someone else--maybe your GF--build something, either through giving money or through personal labor, maybe keeping from having to pay a Vietnamese citizen to do the job?

Otherwise, your other activities/expenditures are probably not even rising to the level of a highly desirable tourist staying at 3 and 4 star hotels at a monthly rate, dining out in restaurants, using tourist agencies, taking taxi rides and shopping for personal goods and souvenirs to take back to your home country.

So in the eyes of the government, you aren't even as good for the economy as a good tourist.

So your ability to get multiple tourist visas is something else to be appreciated, since in other countries and in the EU, a person cannot receive that many visas in a year to allow themselves to live continuously, let alone for 12 years.

And since you have been gently blunt allow me to be so also:

You and I and others are are being helpful to girlfriends with children and are happy to see some positive results of that help.

But in the eyes of the government, I'm sure it seems we have simply found a prostitute who gives us a good monthly rate.

I mean, if you were not in a relationship, and you were giving your money to a prostitute a few times a week, she would be using the money to help support any children she has, so you and I calling our women girlfriends doesn't really change the situation as far as the government is probably concerned.

Now, if in your 12 years here you had decided to make the relationship legal through marriage, then (on topic with the OP) you would definitely be able to have a much better Visa situation, as you would qualify for a Temporary Residence Certificate.

There is a very old fashioned saying in America, when talking about a man marrying his girlfriend.

It is said he is making an honest woman out of her.

I think it's the position of the government here that they are waiting for your girlfriend to make an honest man out of you.

As for the question of only US citizens being able to get a one year business Visa, I and others here in the forum are guessing it has something to do with the presence of US military vessels in the South China Sea in the face of Chinese warships, and a US President who chose to hold an international summit meeting in the capital of this country.

I'm truly just guessing on that.

I hope I haven't written anything you find offensive.

francoa22 wrote:

Anyone who doubts what I am saying..just call them okay;)

When you call the line, the first thing you hear “ If you are calling in regards of new regulation for foreigners....”

So, for the last time, newly, you have to have valid 12 monts visas, or residency card etc

Actually, I think you are correct and I was incorrect.

I just looked at the TIMO Bank blog link I posted in the sticky thread.

It's the same blog, but it appears it has been edited.

The current wording of the explanation does support your view that a 12-month Visa is required.

jefJones wrote:

Go back and READ what he stated ..... you seem to be missing something. He stated exactly what the "exceptions" are..

READ THE WORDS ....

Again, you are wrong. It seems this information is new for you as well..before you were sure anybody with previous presence here can open Timo account.

You are welcomed ;)

Actually, I think you are correct and I was incorrect.

I just looked at the TIMO Bank blog link I posted in the sticky thread.

It's the same blog, but it appears it has been edited.

The current wording of the explanation does support your view that a 12-month Visa is required.

Yea, I guess so.

The only thing they mention is, that you can be, lets say, in the last month of your 12 month visa, and it wil still work. You dont need to have visa for upcoming 12 months.

But this is like, not such a issue for me. What is more important for me os that I cannot legalize driving bike without that visa..well, wxcept I want to ride 50cc :)

But you can get a Viet driving licence based on your countries driving licence......right?
I just got a Viet car & bike licence up to 175cc based on my UK driving licence.