Anything new on 1 year visas for people from the EU?

moscowmetro wrote:

But you can get a Viet driving licence based on your countries driving licence......right?
I just got a Viet car & bike licence up to 175cc based on my UK driving licence.

Only licenses from certain countries are honored, or so I've heard.

moscowmetro wrote:

But you can get a Viet driving licence based on your countries driving licence......right?
I just got a Viet car & bike licence up to 175cc based on my UK driving licence.

We have only 50cc by default coming with our car license. So, I dont have bigger in my country anyway.

But, I am still not sure, I mean, if you want to obtain VN version of the license, you might still need to provide that visa. Dont know how different is the process but it is the same paperwork, except you dont do the tests??

I have visited few places and they said, without 12m visa, they cannot issue my VN license.

moscowmetro wrote:

The problem is that it only lasts as long as your visa.

moscowmetro wrote:

But the converted driver's license is only valid as long as the visa or TRC is valid.
After that you have to apply for a new driver's license.
If at all possible, that would be too cumbersome for me with a 3-monars visa.

Oh but my Viet driving licence lasts as long as my UK one & both expire Nov 2020. I had to go with my uk licence to some gov place, hand over uk licence, get a photo taken, pay the fee & got it 1 week later. My lawyer organised it for me & his assistant came & guided me through the process.

moscowmetro wrote:

Oh but my Viet driving licence lasts as long as my UK one & both expire Nov 2020. I had to go with my uk licence to some gov place, hand over uk licence, get a photo taken, pay the fee & got it 1 week later. My lawyer organised it for me & his assistant came & guided me through the process.

With me the same, but the expiration date on the driving license is the same as the expiration date of the TRC.

you are so lucky, I wish I could get a 6 months visa, let alone a TRC! Is there any way legally I can get a TRC? I dont work, dint have expertise in anything important, not married to a Viet, dont own a business & dont have the cash to invest in a stock company!

moscowmetro wrote:

Coffee money was exchanged. License by law only lasts as long as your visa. Maybe you did yours before it came into effect. I have a bike license that doesnt expire.

How much did you pay?

moscowmetro wrote:

you are so lucky, I wish I could get a 6 months visa, let alone a TRC! Is there any way legally I can get a TRC? I dont work, dint have expertise in anything important, not married to a Viet, dont own a business & dont have the cash to invest in a stock company!

Does the company for investment have to be a stock company?

I saw an article about a major new rule regarding home businesses, in that all home businesses/family businesses will now be taxed the same as other businesses.

This got me wondering if investment in such a small business would now qualify a foreigner for a TRC?

If so, a significant other here could start her own business and the foreigner partner could invest in her business and then qualify for the TRC.

At least, in my dreams...

150usd

at 70 all uk driving licences expire & you have to re apply, therefor thats why the Viet expires at exactly same time as UK

moscowmetro wrote:

150usd

at 70 all uk driving licences expire & you have to re apply, therefor thats why the Viet expires at exactly same time as UK

I paid 300k vnd, you see that the extra you paid was to grease the wheel.

This got me wondering if investment in such a small business would now qualify a foreigner for a TRC?

If so, a significant other here could start her own business and the foreigner partner could invest in her business and then qualify for the TRC.

Hey that sounds like a good plan, in my apartment block there are all sorts of small business working out of the apartments. On my level there is a ladies hair & nail place, level 11 there is a massage place (happy endings included) , there are at least 3 food delivery places & one English school. All working out of like family apartments!
Now you got me thinking!!

moscowmetro wrote:

Hey that sounds like a good plan, in my apartment block there are all sorts of small business working out of the apartments. On my level there is a ladies hair & nail place, level 11 there is a massage place (happy endings included) , there are at least 3 food delivery places & one English school. All working out of like family apartments!

It's the thinking that gets a lot of us in trouble.

We need to find out if those kind of business is really do qualify now.

It's pure conjecture on my part

money well spent thats all I can say

I believe any investment must be 10k USD minimumm, if anyone want to use that option.

It's the thinking that gets a lot of us in trouble.

We need to find out if those kind of business is really do qualify now.

It's pure conjecture on my part

Too much time on our hands, thats the problem for retire's, talking of which I am spending too much time on this forum these days. I got movies to watch, coffee to drink & young Viet(not too young mind) crumpet to eye up!!

believe any investment must be 10k USD minimumm, if anyone want to use that option.

Francoa, can you elaborate on that option please?
Like is it just anything like a coffee shop for example or has it to be some kind of important factory or industrial kind of stuff?

And also, if anyone want to get residency card as a employee of any company, that company has to pay 1000USD yearly for that head account.

So, I am  sure there are people who would do that, but, it is like 500USD for the Visas, 1000USD is the fee for the company, yearly, and on top, they must make some money on the deal. So I think, any kind of agency offering similar option will be asking for 3000USD at minimum

moscowmetro wrote:

The difference would be that they are VN and you are not. Two sets of rules here.

moscowmetro wrote:

believe any investment must be 10k USD minimumm, if anyone want to use that option.

Francoa, can you elaborate on that option please?
Like is it just anything like a coffee shop for example or has it to be some kind of important factory or industrial kind of stuff?

I have found yesterday really nice website where there were all necessary information...for the love of god, cannot find it anymore, looking for it.

But I think, that at this moment, the best option for someone who really needs residency card will be opening one member limited liability company

The difference would be that they are VN and you are not. Two sets of rules here.

Yea but I could invest 10k in a massage place running out of my apartment ran by my GF & claim a TRC on it.....
.right?

moscowmetro wrote:

Yea but I could invest 10k in a massage place running out of my apartment ran by my GF & claim a TRC on it.....
.right?

Maybe it will need to be a stock company only....ive seen the information yesterday, trying hard to get back to it haha.

moscowmetro wrote:

.right?

That is a question for a lawyer. Me, I think its much cheaper to get married, total cost of about 200usd.

moscowmetro wrote:

.right?

You forgot the 3rd set of rules, coffee money :))

colinoscapee wrote:
moscowmetro wrote:

.right?

That is a question for a lawyer. Me, I think its much cheaper to get married, total cost of about 200usd.

A cheap price to complete the process, for it is said that a man is incomplete until he is married, then he is finished...

total cost of about 200usd.

Yea ......right hmmmmmmm

moscowmetro wrote:

total cost of about 200usd.

Yea ......right hmmmmmmm

Thats what it cost me.

I belive you but 200usd dont cover the years to come!!

moscowmetro wrote:

That depends if you stay here or take her back to your home country.

Dont forget, you open a company you have tax forms that have to be lodged each year, if the company doesnt do any trading do you seriously think they will let the business continue.

moscowmetro wrote:

I was always looking forward having a child here, it is cheap...until I realized, that such a child should visit expat schools etc...and that is where it gets more expensive than raising that little one in europe haha

colinoscapee wrote:
moscowmetro wrote:

That depends if you stay here or take her back to your home country.

Dont forget, you open a company you have tax forms that have to be lodged each year, if the company doesnt do any trading do you seriously think they will let the business continue.

It depends, not every company has to make profit or deals.

For example, I will be opening in upcoming months little support center, so I will just hire few viets to do something on computer, but I will never sell anything here, nor I will generate any profit

moscowmetro wrote:

Don't you have a Vietnamese Child? That is grounds for a TRC ( Its a family sponsor )

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I am Australian and I have lived in HCMC for 5 years. I recall there used to be a 12 month visa for Australians too; but was removed a while ago. I have not found a 12 month business visa, I can only get a 3 month Business visa. I spend in excess of USD15,000 here per month (business costs, living expenses, investments). Someone told me once that if you opened a Vietnam company and deposited USD5,000 into the company bank account you could get a 5 year visa. Am I correct?

sprogger wrote:

I am Australian and I have lived in HCMC for 5 years. I recall there used to be a 12 month visa for Australians too; but was removed a while ago. I have not found a 12 month business visa, I can only get a 3 month Business visa. I spend in excess of USD15,000 here per month (business costs, living expenses, investments). Someone told me once that if you opened a Vietnam company and deposited USD5,000 into the company bank account you could get a 5 year visa. Am I correct?

If you are spending that sort of money, opening your own business is the way to go. Im surprised nobody has suggested this before.

sprogger wrote:

Someone told me once that if you opened a Vietnam company and deposited USD5,000 into the company bank account you could get a 5 year visa. Am I correct?

No, it is not nearly that simple.

It is significantly more difficult, with many more steps, more lawyers and more documents filed with the government and requires more money than that.  Think about it, if it were that easy everyone would have done it already instead of battling with three, six and one year visas.

sprogger wrote:

I spend in excess of USD15,000 here per month (business costs, living expenses, investments).

If you are doing that you should consider setting up a business.  Taxes are another big issue, both filing as well as paying.  You may have a tax treaty with Vietnam to prevent double taxation so you need to check into that.  Bear in mind that Vietnam will tax your WORLDWIDE income in Vietnam.  If you reside here 183 days per hear you are considered a resident for income tax purposes and are taxed at the following rate on worldwide income:

Taxable Income per year (VND)       Tax rate

VND 0 - 60,000,000                          5%
VND 60,000,000 - 120,000,000          10%
VND 120,000,000 - 216,000,000        15%
VND 216,000,000 - 384,000,000        20%
VND 384,000,000 - 624,000,000        25%
VND 624,000,000 - 960,000,000        30%
Above VND 960,000,000                   35%

Rough outline was that I started the business with a Viet 51% shareholder which made it a lot easier.

He had filed the paperwork previously for the business but never used it.  Cost a couple thousand USD.

He then sold me 49%.  Charter capital was 1billion VND, split 490,000,000 and 510,000,000.  Charter capital MUST remain in the business for a period of three years.  Cost about 1,000 USD

After that I applied for a work permit exemption.  Lawyers did everything and cost a few hundred USD.  I can now take profits from the company without a work permit.  Exemption is good for two years.

thanks

***  For a country making an average monthly salary under $150...yeah that is the best part of the western culture!  Money is not a motivator for me and millions of others in the world, but there is no denying the poverty in Vietnam.  So yes money definitely helps everyone, it's called a win/win for nay sayers like yourself!

Reason : Disrespectful

What an ***!

Reason : Disrespectful