Should I go for it?

Hi everyone. I heard this forum gives good advice so I thought I'd post.

My husband and I (both Americans) are pretty young and have spent the 1.5 years traveling after getting married. Now we're looking into where to settle down.

When I visited England last year, I fell in love with the country. Particularly with London, but also with the country's fascinating history and beautiful landscapes. I have English ancestry, and something about the country calls to me in a way I know doesn't make actual practical sense. Somehow it didn't feel like I was a tourist, but like I was where I belonged!

I am an EU citizen and what with Brexit and all, if I ever want to live in England my most realistic chance is before the end of 2020. Part of me feels like I can't miss this opportunity, but other parts know there are more practical considerations I may be failing to acknowledge. And that's why I'm posting!

All you experienced people, please tell me what you think! Is this just a romantic dream best left a fantasy? Or can living in England really be as cool as it sounds? Do you like living there or would you rather have stayed in the US?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

First thing to say is that everything is up in the air at the moment and is subject to change (nothing is set in law at the moment).

At the top of the page is a link to our Discover section, within which is a link to our England Guide; I'd recommend you read it before you go any further.  To try and answer your questions:

Under the current rules, as an EU citizen, you have up until 31 December 2020 before the new UK points system is implemented for everybody; it is possible that unskilled EU labour will be permitted until 2025.

Anything else related to Brexit at the moment is speculation.  We currently live in the UK, but will be leaving in the not too far distant future; neither myself, or my wife see anything attractive in staying here, our eldest daughter has already left.

Romantic dreams are not really good reasons to do anything (even getting married)!  You need to consider the reality of the situation, not how nice the Tower of London looks in the autumn sunshine.  You need to consider whether you will earn enough to enjoy the lifestyle you aspire to; I can tell you from experience that it's really no fun being broke in a place where you don't know anybody.  So, if you have the relevant qualifications and skills and can get work, then why not.  You haven't said what you do, but it's worthwhile remembering that being unskilled in the US will almost certainly mean the same anywhere else, with the same problems.

Some practical points.  You will arrive with no UK credit rating, so will need to have the cash behind you to rent something.  If you arrive without a job, landlords will want a substantial rental deposit (12 months is not unusual).  London is very expensive and rental accommodation in very short supply; newly qualified nurses and teachers even if they can find something, discover that they cannot afford London prices.  The Numbeo website offers information related to costs of living; this link will take you there.

If you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I hadn't realized there was a guide, so I'll definitely check that out. My husband is an engineer, and I'm making a career change into programming, so we're not unskilled, but obviously it's important to do more research into the financial realities.

I'm sorry to hear your family is moving—even if it's the right decision for you, such changes are difficult. I hope it goes well for you. If you'd like to share more about what you now find so unattractive, I'd be interested to hear more.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Visiting and living are 2 different things. I left the UK over 10 years ago, when I come to visit friends and family I can't wait to leave. I have seen a big change in the country since the referendum.

I find a lot of places smelly and dirty. I prefer Wales a lot more.

Flummox wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I hadn't realized there was a guide, so I'll definitely check that out. My husband is an engineer, and I'm making a career change into programming, so we're not unskilled, but obviously it's important to do more research into the financial realities.

I'm sorry to hear your family is moving—even if it's the right decision for you, such changes are difficult. I hope it goes well for you. If you'd like to share more about what you now find so unattractive, I'd be interested to hear more.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Hi again.

Regarding your careers, you need to make sure that your qualifications are recognised in the country where you intend to live.  In particular, if there is any part of your job that is regulated, that your diploma would be recognised.  Experience is important; you can best summarise job hunting as it requiring 4 key elements:

- Relevant qualifications (essential in Regulated work)
- Relevant experience (if the job says "experience required", it means just that)
- Speak the local language
- Luck

Only you know how many of those you can tick off.

A recent survey of Expats in the UK revealed:

- Only 3% of respondents rate the weather as very good.
- The UK has a high cost of living and less than ideal childcare costs.
- The local population is particularly unfriendly, according to expats.
- A fifth of expats do not feel at home and doubt they ever will.

Our reason for leaving is that we don't like the way the country treats its old people; as a group they are a political football that keeps getting kicked about depending on which political party is in power.  Care for the elderly who need it is very much dependent on how much money you have and where you live.  You could find yourself all alone in a strange place.  We're moving back to Holland where they have a much more balanced view of family life (in our opinion of course).

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

I really don't think it makes a huge difference. Even after Brexit is completed, you will still be able to come and live or work in the UK as long as your follow the regulations. It won;t suddenly be closed to you forever.