Visa at the airport Denpasar

Being from South Africa we are allowed a visa free entry into Indonesia for 30 days. At the Airport of entrance one can apply for a further 30 day stay for IDR500,000.  I did that, paid and was given a receipt etc. However I was told to go to Immigration the next day to have it approved, which I did. I had to pay another IDR500,000. I just wanted to find out whether this is correct? I did enquire but was told it is IDR 500,000 per month.

A free VOA, unless things have changed over the last year, is not extendable (Legally)

That's right...thus Supervan was charged 500K for the first 30 days, and an additional 500K for the second 30 days.

US$35 = Rp500,000

That would be right but, to clarify, can a tourist enter on a free VOA, then immediately and legally convert to a paid, extendable VOA?

To answer your question...yes.  What happens is that the initial free 30 VOA becomes a standard (paid) 30 day VOA which is extendable. 

This can be done all during the duration of the 30 day free VOA at the immigration office (post arrival) and the full fee of 1 million will be payable. 

As you said earlier Fred, the free 30 day VOA is not extendable, but it can be changed to a payable 30 day visit visa at any time (at arrival) or later during the 30 day visit.

Thanks. It makes sense now.