Importing a car to Malta

Hi guys,

I am thinking about buying a car in the UK and doing a Eurotrip with it. Final destination will be Malta where I plan to live and work. Can you please help me with the following info:

1) I am an Italian citizen, will it be possible to buy a car in the UK as a non resident post brexit?

2) How much will the import duties on the car be in Malta considering that I will have owned the car for less than 2 years? An estimate would be ok.... is it a percentage of the car's value in Malta or UK?

3) Will the whole process be do-able? Or is it more hassle than it's worth?

Many thanks!
Enzo

Have you read all the previous post about importing cars?  If you look on search you may find the
answers you require, good luck.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I'm not a Maltese expert, I'll leave that side to GozoMo.  But I can comment on buying a car in the UK.  You may well struggle to buy a car in the UK if you're not resident there, at least from a dealership.  The reason is that UK law requires the dealership not to release the car to you until you have proved to have the appropriate Car Insurance.  If you don't have a UK address, then you won't have Insurance.

A private buy will be doable, but you're still left with the problem of getting insurance for your journey as a non-resident.

With regards to Customs treatment; this link will take you to the Maltese Customs website that has all the details.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Importing a car to Malta is a bad idea. Unlike many other European countries, Malta is still charging duty on the import of foreign vehicles. If you want a car here in Malta buy either a new car right over here or a Japanese second hand car. I have the impression Malta made a sweetheart contract with Japan because    the license fee of an original Japanese car ist less than the fee for the same car from the UK. I say license fee because this the the name they use over here for taxation. For example the annual license fee for my car over here is € 761.00, whilst the the annaul tax in Germany is €121.00  As far as I remember the tax is  210.00 GBP in the UK. In other words if you want to save money forget about your idea