Negotiating purchase of house in SMA

My husband and I feel like we have found a great house to purchase for our future retirement and move from the US.  We have bought and sold many houses in our 20+ years together so we have a lot of experience in the US market. Not sure if this experience helps us in SMA.

Since there is no way of researching comps online, we are at the mercy of our realtor, it seems. Also, our instinct is to offer less then the what our agent says we should.

Is the real estate culture very different in SMA than in the US when it comes to negotiating price?  It looks to us like there might be some downturn to home prices in SMA.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Following right behind in your footsteps on this one. Can't wait to see what others suggest! Thank you!

Hi Lilybellsoup! I will talk with my realtor today- I'll keep you posted if I find any good info.

I haven't tried to buy, but from what the realtors say, there's a glut of houses for sale right now, and more being built every day.  BUT:  I was also told that that doesn't mean the sellers will come down on the price.  At least they're not yet reducing the price, but then that situation (according to the realtor) has been around only a little over a year.  I imagine the longer it lasts, the hungrier they'll get.  Rentals have been quite reasonable, though.

Hi, I believe that almost everything in life is negotiable but for sure it is true in the business of buying and selling real estate. In Mexico, like everywhere else in the world, a seller marks up the price hoping to settle on a middle ground acceptable sale to the buyer and of course the seller.

Go ahead and make a reasonable lower offer the same way you would do in the States. All anyone can say is no or yes and then the process begins.

No different than anywhere .

Good luck .