Colonoscopy

Hi, has anyone done colonoscopy in HCM? Which hospital and costs please? Thanks

I can help!!!

One thing about doing this in VN is that they dont knock you out when doing it at many local hospitals.. I would contact a few of the higher end hospitals like FV, Colombia and City Hospital to see what they do.

I recently had a full knockout colonoscopy.  My doctor did tell me that they often do a routine with younger patients that has the patient very groggy but not fully unconscious.   Apparently it is an acceptable method, maybe even the latest most up to date method, but it is age dependent.  Remember that any time you go under with a total anesthetic, there is a chance, slim but still real, that you will never wake up.   :sleep

Hi
Care to share where you did the screening and if it included diagnostic/ theurapuetic procedures? What is the cost n where? Many thanks

Assuming your question was addressed to me, I had it done in the US, specifically Hawaii.  I made the comment to expand on the comment about colonoscopies being given without total anesthetic and that it was apparently medically OK.  I do concur with suggestion by the appropriately named  :cool: colinoscapee that you should probably stick to the big name hospitals.  Besides being able to do the procedure properly, the big names should also have the better oncology labs to take a proper look at whatever they cut out.

For what it is worth I have had only one and it was in the US but I elected to not be knocked out and it wasn't uncomfortable or anything and I avoided the wake up grogginess. so I wouldn't consider a hospital that doesn't knock you out to be  a show stopper.  I would do it the same way again.  It was interesting to lay there and watch the big screen while it was done.  The funny thing was when a nurse walked in and I said hi.  She was not anticipating that. The doc said he did it that way so I did it.  He also said while it is everywhere in the US many other countries don't knock you out.

SteinNebraska wrote:

For what it is worth I have had only one and it was in the US but I elected to not be knocked out and it wasn't uncomfortable or anything and I avoided the wake up grogginess. so I wouldn't consider a hospital that doesn't knock you out to be  a show stopper.  I would do it the same way again.  It was interesting to lay there and watch the big screen while it was done.  The funny thing was when a nurse walked in and I said hi.  She was not anticipating that. The doc said he did it that way so I did it.  He also said while it is everywhere in the US many other countries don't knock you out.

So you had no sedative at all?

colinoscapee wrote:

So you had no sedative at all?

Nothing whatsoever.  It was truly a non-event.

My query clearly stated 'colonoscopy done in HCM'. I wanted some input for local resource. If your experience is elsewhere, its clearly irrelevant please do not confuse the issue, tks.

LSP123 wrote:

My query clearly stated 'colonoscopy done in HCM'. I wanted some input for local resource. If your experience is elsewhere, its clearly irrelevant please do not confuse the issue, tks.

Its an open forum, get used to subjects going off track.

LSP123 wrote:

The discussion that you object to was about whether a colonoscopy without the traditional total anesthetic is an acceptable method.  You got suggestions for three locations.  Beyond that, I guess when it comes to free medical advice, you get what you pay for.

I was not asking for free medical advice. I know what a colonoscopy entails. Just wonder if any expat has done it here whether public or private, and whether a quote for close to usd 900 is justifiable. Well, I suppose if the insurance is paying, who cares! The point is to ascertain whether such surgery here is up to International standards. Or one just goes to Bangkok or Malaysia?

LSP123 wrote:

The point is to ascertain whether such surgery here is up to International standards.

That is exactly what the discussion on the use or non-use of general anesthetic was all about.  Yet you failed to see it that way.  You'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.   :cheers: as my Mum used to say.  You should try it some day.

Well nobody said they did the op here and those that responded did theirs in US. And well, of course i fail to see your logic n point. For safest measure, I shall head over to Singapore..

LSP123 wrote:

Well nobody said they did the op here and those that responded did theirs in US. And well, of course i fail to see your logic n point. For safest measure, I shall head over to Singapore..

which was EXACTLY the point!

I could not help but laugh through this entire thread!!!!

ALL of you are so much more brave than myself .... I managed to cry and scream rape after a prostate exam .... I can't even imagine a colonoscopy! Is this something "REQUIRED" as we get older? What can i do now to avoid getting a hose stuck up my bum?!?!

Yes it is.  Grin and Bear it (whatever the method, wherever the location, ) and get it done as a precaution.

a "precaution" is a "recommendation" , not a "requirement".... I am not former military, i don't "Grin & Bear" anything that can be avoided.

How in hell are you people so damn copacetic about having a tube/camera shoved up your arse? ( and conscious to boot! )

AND WHY IN HELL are those words "Grin & Bear" it haunting me now! You RUINED my unicorn and rainbows!

Do it as a precaution. We will hardly regularly examine whether there is blood seen in stools and any change in bowel habits will be put to changes in diet. And there maybe odd instances of constipation/diarhoea which we tend to ignore. Better to be safe than sorry.

A relative had it done at Victoria Healthcare (District 1) last month. The procedure costs $4,400,000 VND, medication is $163,000 VND.

Came in at 7:30 am, given a pill to go under, all done and out of there around 11:00 am.

avhexpat wrote:

A relative had it done at Victoria Healthcare (District 1) last month. The procedure costs $4,400,000 VND, medication is $163,000 VND.

Came in at 7:30 am, given a pill to go under, all done and out of there around 11:00 am.

I've had a little surgery there before. It wasn't cheap, but otherwise I was very satisfied.

Was the surgery performed on your relative with partial anesthesia or how is it usually done?

AkaMaverick wrote:

I've had a little surgery there before. It wasn't cheap, but otherwise I was very satisfied.

Was the surgery performed on your relative with partial anesthesia or how is it usually done?

In my relative's case, she lost consciousness during the surgery.