Payment methods in Greece

Hello everyone,

Once you're settled in Greece, you will need to make some basic purchases, like groceries or pay bills. Hence, it is essential to know the payment methods available in your host country.

Which are the most common payment methods in Greece? Why would you prefer some forms over others?

Does the amount of money or the type of paid services (groceries, bills, rent, etc.) determine the choice of payment methods?

Are there any apps at your disposal which make the payment process easier in Greece?

Can certain foreign currencies be used to make payments?

Have your habits in terms of payment methods changed since moving to Greece?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

It's easy to use Visa and Mastercard in most (physical) shops in Greece.

But I've had a lot of problems making payments online. My credit and debit cards (which are not Greek yet) have always been rejected by Greek internet sellers.

The only way around - notably to top up my Vodafone account - has been to use PayPal. It works :-)

As far as shopping online, I went to Piraeus Bank, where I have an account, and got a prepaid Mastercard.  I would put however much I wanted on it so I could make online purchases.

I imagine it could be used to buy stuff from anywhere in the world, but I mostly made my purchases on Amazon and bought products mainly from Germany or the U.K.

I had no problem having my things shipped to me in Greece in a timely manner.

The most common and accepted  way of payment is cash. You can use also cards preferably  VISA or Mastercard ones. You can  pay some bills at ATM's , if you have an account in a Greek bank. Do not use the Post office to pay your bills. You can choose to pay utility bills with Internet banking at convenient pricing or you can order your bank to pay them automatically. If you prefer to do that, please check constantly  your bills in order to avoid excessive charges without prior notice.

You can also get a  Prepaid card from a Greek bank.