Malta cars life expectancy...

Hi,

I want to buy a used car, but before I wish to know what's the
average life expectancy (in mileage & years) for cars in Malta?

Perhaps it's 10 years or about 150,000 KM, but I'm not sure...

Thanks

karlsultana8 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

In Malta the average car drives about 5000km per annum. In 20 years such a car has reached a mileage of 100 000 km. As you know cars often reach a mileage of 200 000 with one engine, some cars are 40 years old and still roadworthy.
In general I think cars in Malta reach an age of 30 years. That is no problem with annual service twice a year and also rust protection.
When I spoke about this topic to a maltese lady who works as a hotel receptionist she said:"We have two cars, a new car which is 4 years old and an old car which is 25 years old."
Therefore just expect a car will last 30 years in Malta.
A life expectancy of 10 years and 150,000 km is applicable in Germany or the Netherlands, but Malta is different.
Do not forget about 40% of cars in Malta are used cars from Japan. These cars are often 3-5 years old when they come to Malta. Over here people often keep them another 10 years and after that they will be sold as second hand car. This means the foreign ownership in Japan does not count.

karlsultana8 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

If you are a Maltese citizen living in Malta you must know.

Just ask your maltese relatives, if they agree to the opinion of the foreigners. Also car insurance agents should be able to give you a proper answer. I was driving in Malta last year for 9 months and I drove to Rome and Germany for 3 months. Altogether I was driving only 9000 km, but consider the distance between Malta and Germany and return is 5000 km, I was only driving 4000 km in Malta last year.