Is Landlord Peeping

How the landlord knows who has left fan and AC on all day?
The Landlord has a full time office job. He lives in the same building with with his family. It's a Khmer style 5 stories apartment complex with simi-private entrance. Each unit located on its own floor and is extremely large.  How does he know that no one is home while AC or fan is left running? He sent out a broadcast energy warning.

The electricity meter spins faster.

Fred is right.  If nobody there and all appliances off the meter does not run.

If nobody there and AC on the meter runs so the landlord knows you left it on and spill energy.

Utilities Meters are only accessible by tenants.

Both water and electric meters are inside the apartments. He is sent pictures of the reading to calculate monthly bills.

Fred wrote:

Ask the landlord simple

Paul123 wrote:

Both water and electric meters are inside the apartments. He is sent pictures of the reading to calculate monthly bills.

Fred wrote:

The readings tell the landlord how much power you've used - if it isn't much, the readings will be low. If you leave the AC on all day, the reading will be higher - a lot higher.
Then I walked down my path to the kitchen door, greeted by the sight of drips from the air conditioner's  condensation drain pipe - it doesn't drip when it isn't turned on so all he has to do is see if it drips when you're out.

Not a lot to suggest your landlord is sneaking into your place as yet, or has cameras in your bedroom and bathroom so he can sell videos on the dark web.

I have a wild, out of the box, crazy idea - Turn the thing off when you go out.

Just turn it off would help I suppose, Cheers Dave, any more issues LOL

He might just be trying to help keep your bill down....