Do not use xxxx Cambodia

Dear all,

I take this opportunity to advise you to not use xxxxxx Cambodia housing services.

Following a series of problems with my apartment leased through xxxxxon street 398 - including leakages in the second floor bathroom that resulted in xxxxxxx putting a big hole in the wall that was never fixed, and sewage water spilling up from the rims of the toilet (also not fixed during the last part of my lease despite requests) -  I gave my 30 days notice in late December, indicating that I would move out on February 1, and would not pay any rent until the problems had been solved. I suggested that the two months deposit be used to cover the (one month) rent for January.

After I had given my notice, xxxxxx staff started neglecting the apartment to fix things, even when the toilet started overflooding again last week and sewage was covering the bathroom floor every time I tried to use it. It was like living in a pigstie. They the guts to tell me that he would fix it after I moved out.

The national staff has been begging me for money and rent quite anxiously as apparently under xxxxx rules the national staff (who only make 250 USD monthly salary - a fraction of that of the international staff) will have to "cover" any expenses that the tenant does not. Such rules are against both international and domestic labour laws.

On January 31, I received a text message saying that the locks on my door had been changed and I could only get my belongings - including vital medication for my type 1 Diabetes, my credit cards and my personal belongings. I could only get in once I agreed to pay 500 USD (a small discount was provided once the Australian manager realized the state of my apartment, which the national staff had not informed him of). The conduct of your staff to change the locks was not only inappropriate - it is also the contract, which says that the lesser can only have access to the property after 24 hours of advance notice and Cambodian law, notably the Penal Code and the 2001 Land Law

Tove Holmstrom

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Removal company name to avoid any possible issues related to defamation. You may exchange the details through the private messaging system
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Tove,

Truly an inexcusably horrible experience.  Thank you for the heads-up warning.  No one should have to undergo such thoughtless and amateurish treatment, especially in a business run by foreigners for foreigners.  I hope that others with similar problems will be encouraged by your post to out other unscrupulous business practices.  Since there is so little legal recourse, if any at all outing the vultures is all we can do. I hope your next dwelling brings you peace and happiness.

Removing the name of the offending agency completely negates the value of OP's post.  I think the mods are being too cautious.  Or maybe they're afraid of loving the multitude of real estate agents who post here.  Whatever the case may be all posters should be aware that "offers of friendship" are made not out of altruistic motivation, but are made for a commission.  Or look at it this way:

Gee Toto, I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

I guess advertisement Dollar wins over free press.

"I guess advertisement Dollar wins over free press."

Yep, looks like that.  But this forum and its retarded ideas has nearly reached my sxxt threshold.  I spent a lot of time recommending a good doctor in Phnom Penh.  It was geared for a poster who asked the question.  It was suggested by some mod that it could be confused as advertising.  Since the post was deleted it is impossible to show it to you.  But in any case the person I wrote it for has lost out as have other potential readers.  This forum strikes me as being for tourists not expats and pablum.for the brain is preferred over genuine informed contributions.

Tasbarangse, yes you are right this is basically sensorship, I mean you and I have had are different views , but these moderators act like god with a bottle of white out , how are we supposed to know experiences of are fellow ex pats if they censor everything , can we agree this is corruption considering we have thrown that word around a bit , xxxxx doesn't help anyone , maybe xxxxx has a excuse and a reason why this happened , I agree the advertising $ is more important than information

This isn't a case of trigger happy mods playing god or advertising cash being grabbed.
It is a case of posters not realising the forum gets threats of legal action against it if such posts are allowed.

As such threats have happened, and still do, any potential defamation is removed the moment it's seen.

I hope that clears it up for you.

I once wrote in another post, "This is however a forum for many non-Cambodians who have a right to be forewarned about prevailing conditions to help them make an informed decision about moving here."

After your deletion of the real estate company name, it is  clear to me that I was being horribly idealistic about the aims of this forum.  I found Mr. Holstrom's account to be lucid and informative and devoid of malicious intent.  Highly credible in a word. 

I find your policies and legal fears stifle the necessary dissemination of facts that give rise to badly needed improvements in this country. You are just another cheering section for youthful exuberance and adventure.  You have sacrificed a chance to be a top notch forum and for what?
By the way you should go to xxxxx; they're having a party.

What facts?

All we have is an opinion and a story told from one side, none having the slightest proof attached so it could be a pack of lies made up to get back at a perfectly reasonable company she fell out with for whatever reason.

I have to be honest, someone that works where she does should have a better take on what she says, but maybe she thought she would be anonymous on an internet forum.

The whole point is, the forum could be held responsible, or at least have to take a load of flak for what a one post wonder comes up with, and we have no idea if it's a load of old pig swill or the truth.

One should not forget that here in SE Asia defamation cases are a threat to everyone. If you defame a company, government, any department it is often the case that YOU have to face court on a defamation case. No matter if your blame was correct or not.

Something else is numbers. If someone has a bad experience with a shop, company, hospital, it does not mean that that shop, company, hospital is bad. Mistakes and mishaps happen and if your case is the only one in a number of thousands then you are the bad luck exception.

If someone wants to complain the best way is to collect similar experiences, to proof that the case is not a lone case, but a repeated wrong treatment.

My apologies to MS.Holstrom whom I referred to as "Mr." in my last post.

Good point as always Jo  quess you would run into legal problems never thought of that angle!

twinsguy20 wrote:

Good point as always Jo  quess you would run into legal problems never thought of that angle!

Don't know exactly about the situation here, but in Thailand it's terrible.

One example:
A teenage girl was sentenced for defamation of a gold mine, that was proven to poison the environment where she and her villagers live. It was proven she was right, but she should have not mentioned the name of the gold mine...... Unbelievable but a fact here in SE Asia.

So always keep that in mind when posting names on the net.

Having lived in Cambodia for over 20 years I am indeed aware of legal ramifications.  However even the pussycat forum of trip advisor.com carries posts by travelers disgruntled with substandard services provided by NAMED  bus companies, hotels, restaurants, and other travel related service industries.  To hold that particular website up as a standard of excellence is sad indeed.  And there are two fairly responsible expat forums that do likewise.  This forum doesn't want my input and I likewise refuse to participate.  To ensure your happy stay in the Kingdom of Wonder please be certain to say only kind words about the intolerable.

However even the pussycat forum of trip advisor.com carries posts by travelers disgruntled with substandard services provided

Hi,

please give me 1% of the income of trip advisor and we'll surely have enough money to finance a legal team.

Last time a major company got defamed by a "1 post only member", we almost had to "thank" a part of the team I employ to pay lawyers. Sorry I can't afford that situation.

Let me remind you our terms and conditions :

The following is strictly forbidden:

Defamation, abuse, harassment, threat, heinous or discriminatory propaganda against human rights, including homophobic or racist propaganda, as well as any other violation of human legal rights, including privacy rights.

BTW the OP comes from nowhere, directly defames a company... and never comes back.

"please give me 1% of the income of trip advisor and we'll surely have enough money to finance a legal team."

If. I had that 1% I most assuredly would not donate it to this forum.  It's too polite to be of any practical use to an expat for reasons stated more times than enough already.

Julien owns the forum and he knows more about the everyday running of it than the rest of us put together.
I do know lawyers sometimes try to blame the forum for posts made my members, so that means such posts have to be removed as soon as they're seen.

For a one post wonder to open an account with the intention of defaming a company that might very well have no case to answer, save has upset someone who holds a grudge is no good to the forum or its members.

I've got a pretty good idea how much work has gone into making the forum and I would hate to see all that wasted because one new poster types a load of very dodgy stuff as truth.

You might also note the same post was placed on another forum, but that was deleted and the poster removed totally by their team - a good move in my view.

This forum is useless to my needs and doesn't allow to properly advise those who are considering a move to Cambodia.   While I can voluntarily withdraw I respectfully request that my name be erased so that I might harbour the illusion that I never considered participating in the first place.

Use "Contact us" at the bottom of this page.

taabarangse wrote:

This forum is useless to my needs and doesn't allow to properly advise those who are considering a move to Cambodia.   While I can voluntarily withdraw I respectfully request that my name be erased so that I might harbour the illusion that I never considered participating in the first place.

As Fred has stated, go to the bottom of this page, click on 'contact us', fill out the details you can leave this forum.

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Insults, rude comment,disrespectful
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello everyone,

Closing this thread on the spot as the OP has not given any further feedback on this topic to clear the doubts of members.

I invite you to contact the OP via the private messaging system if you need any information regarding the service provider mentioned in post #1.

All the best,
Bhavna

[Topic Closed]

Closed