Accommodation and Prices

I find it amusing how,  on this forum platform and many others, agents in particular seem to think all expats are loaded. (yes I know it's common) Not all all of us, in fact many of us can not afford $600 to $1000 a month rent!!  So instead of being greedy (another common problem) and just catering for the well off foreigners so you can get your high commission, why not advertise apartments that people can actually afford!!  You would be helping a lot more people. The prices are ridiculous.
Having said that, does anyone know of any cheap apartments in BK2? Toul Kouk or surrounding areas please. I would very much appreciate it if you could message me. But not with stupud, ridiculous monthly rents. Thanks.

As an agent (Sales & Marketing Manager) if you take a look at Ocean Delight's website you will see a range of accommodation to suit varying budgets, the bottom line is you pay for what you get. If its of interest, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks joolsd for your honesty. Must admit I too was taken aback by the rental property rates from the 2 agents linked to this site. Where I come from, the dollar is quite expensive and by the looks of things, Cambodia operates in dollars. Makes me think twice before I make decisions!

And thanks for your reply, Naim. Could you please supply a link to the Ocean's Delight site? Do they cover Sihanoukville as well?

Hi Joolsd,

I agree with you that the prices can be very high. Not all agencies over-inflate the rental fee though, and in Siem Reap there is a real range of options available. From 2 bedroom houses at $250 to luxury apartments over $1000. It can certainly seem expensive, but in most towns, if a new resident stays long enough to really search around the market, they can find somewhere to suit their requirements most of the time. I hope the reputation of real estate agents gets better here in the future, as there are many good ones, who are ethical, professional and honest.

Warm wishes,

Gemma

Hi Alex,

No we focus on Phnom Penh at the moment. I cannot put the website address as Expat.com don't like me or any other agent directly promoting, however, we are in their business directory and you can find us on Facebook as well.

Thanks for this topic, this is my third year here, every year I find a cheaper nicer place in a better area, so I'm tired of these prices , that don't reflect the real price, for 200-350 you should be able to find a nice place, just walking around the neighborhood you want to live in, you will find plenty of for rent signs, the longer you stay, and the more money you have up front the better price you can negotiate, even a little ways out of town you can find a house for under 150 even below 100$ so forget the 700-1000 nobody is renting those , great topic!

Great topic. Thanks all for sharing.

Might I suggest we create a new thread that allows newbies to jointly work together to identify rental opportunities as they find them? Obviously, if you take the property, you don't publish it. However, if you find one that is reasonable but not your preference, post the details and contact.

Just a thought...

Hi, Expat.Com will want you to put it in the housing section on the website

hello.. I am visiting phnom penh next march 2018.  I was wondering if anyone could assist me in finding a one bedroom..air condition..balcony... furnished apartment for around $350 a month...will be long lease as I plan living in phnom penh..have rented previously an apartment and know phnom penh a little..any advice would be accepted..l did live in street 118..within  3 km would be great..looking forward to anyone sending me a reply..thank you..my name is ian...catchy..

Hello,
1007 st sobensensok , at Sensok, pp. One large bed , balcony,  wetroom, aircon and fan cable t.v sink and work tops all new , maid service daily, security,  for $295 pm.
Owned by ex General and run by his son Michael  So you are protected from badness, he even shows you round the school's for work and the area has good coffee shops and end of 1007 st western supermarket.  Etc.loads of space around the area not like riverside where it's all cramped.  0 mins by Turk Turk to river side, the reception manager will do anything for his guests,  laundry,  get u taxi, food, etc
Hope this is help full

William

The above offer sounds great , I also live by royal palace , the owner is a highup official also , and they are so kind, but if you can't find anything , message me I can find a nice one easy, ha I to lived on 118 loved it , good luck, once again I can't express how much having three months rent or more up front, it puts you in a fantastic bargaining position, so many rentals in pp it's your market, look around you will find something very nice for 350$ let me know if you having trouble, I'm a USA retired man I've been in pp 3 years now , I know the rental market very well

Hi Guys,

As I told earlier, I want to move to siem Reap in 2018, and gathering as much information as I can.
I have a Khmer girlfriend and we would like to rent a nice, small house (preferably) or apartment in SR with pool. I will be semi retired and start small project from the place I live in. Only need my computer and small storage of ca 1m3. As I dont know how my project will work out, I want to save money at start and rent rather cheap (budget 250-400)

I have seen many gorcious apartments and houses in our price range:
http://www.siemreapproperties.com/prope … siem-reap/
or
http://www.camboproperty.com/property/4 … ool-1.html

These are just some examples I found. My question (and it was already discussion on this forum):
It is all negotiable. So when that is in an add, I never pay the asking price. How much lower could I go to offer? I could easy pay 6 months rent upfront. Can 450 for the wooden house become 300-350? Or is it insulting to make such an offer?
Please give me your thoughts and advise.

Yes It can be negotiable, and if you have six months rent , I usually have 6 months rent also , 100 off per month is not unheard of , and you have the right idea with money upfront , you should have no problem

Hi there James1963 ,

It's a good question regarding how much lower you can go. It all depends on a number of factors, such as; how long the property has been on the market? how quickly the landlords would like to rent it out? Also, your lease length? Alot of landlords will do a good discount if you sign a one year lease. Everything is negotiable, but it also needs to be fair for both the landlord and tenant.

Best of luck,

Gemma

My personal experience is that a 2-year contract plus a 6 month-prepayment gets you 20 - 25% off the asking price and deletes the need for a deposit.

Do not forget to register the (bilingual) contract at the Sangkat office, without that the contract is useless (and the landlord can kick you out any time ;) )

Joe

James, did you find a place yet?  Move here yet.?  You should definitely let you khmer girlfriend do a lot of the calling and talking. Rent goes down then.  Also, dont plan on renting from this site or cambo.  Best to go to local agents office and tell him $300 mth, no more and give priorities.  Stay in a cheap hotel a week first, dont rent until you see some.  You be surprised whit is out there if they think you dont have a lot of money.

Khmer24 has better agents who not as greedy .  But definitely walk around and walk into agents offices if they have one.  Also, better to stay in a non expat area.  Not near the bars or attractions.  If you are friendly with nieghbors , they will look out for you. I found one place by having coffee in coffee shop, talked to local and expat who were chatting and they told me about a great place. Unfortunately, not the area i needed, it was 2 br flat near orussey market. Great for the girlfriend.  Only 250 a month.  I even found a place by talking to a convenience store owner.  All business owners seem to have rental properties, and it is a renters market now. Online they ask a lot, but if they know you, it is 50% .  Just tell them you are local, never leaving. 

Talk to people you see  everywhere, that is the key . Everyone wants to practice their english. Then segway into whether they know nice affordable place.

Finally, dont aoutomatically look for aircon , kithcen appliances, and fully furnished.  That doubles the rent sometimes. In the long run, if you buy a small portable cooler unit and a couple fans, and go to the japanese recycle shop in town for kitchen; it will make the difference in rent over 3 months and you will pwn the stuff for next flat.

I rent in toul kork for 190$. 60sq mtrs.  I run ac two hours a day at most. Security and near local market.  Superfast internet here. Let me know if you still looking. I give you name of agent or of a place renting.

Lanshane you are 100% right , go with this idea and forget the 600-1000$ they are not real , and contrary to what some realtors say , who comes to this third world country and rents a 1000$ a month apartment, idiots or nobody, rentals in these high rise expensive places are about 25% occupied  at best , there are way to many places to rent in pp and not enough renters , my buddy just rented a 800$ a month place , near aeon 1 very very nice he just told them I have 2500$  for 6 months , of course he took it and signed the lease , I told him he could have got it even cheaper but he's happy beautiful place , just talked to the manager , not the realtor, there is one realtor I use on this site that knows the rental market, and works for his clients not the landlord , I use him and recommend him , he got my place advertised at 600 he just told them he will sign and pay a year up front , but no deposit and 400$ per month , she said no , he said ok thank you and we proceeded to look at others , she stopped us took my money and I love my place by royal palace riverside bkk1 all close , realtors are looking for newbies , once you have been here for a month or two you realize you could almost rent the royal palace for 1000 $ a month, if they are quoting you 600-1000$ a month walk they are dishonest , and the asking price for anything in cambodia, is negotiable, starting at half of what they are asking , 800-1000 unless it's a nice three bedroom villa , then they are trying to cheat you , period .

Thanks, TwinsGuy, must meet for a beer sometime. Maybe when my woman is visiting from kamphong chnnang.  Also, i have only been here 8 months , but never paid more than one month deposit. Even had agreement that if i moved out due to job offer, with enough notice, i get deposit back.  I am waiting out for the right teaching job now, tutoring premed students, free or for 5$ a session.  Living a meager life now.  I love the kids.  Only thing about PP is they like young girls and guys with no experience to teach over an old fogie like me. Lol. Had same issue in thailand, but once hired, begged me to stay.

Living small now, by myself, but have wife and  kids moving here soon.  So my adventure in renting will continue, i will be looking for a larger two bedroom in PP in november, hmmm. Of course bigger 2 br here is not what most americans call big, better to just have what you need and no more.    I will be looking more khmer breezy style with some western ameneties.  Probably will pay about the same for 2 br as i do for western large studio now.  Actually saw 70-80 sm places for 250$, just need to make sure area market  is good.  I love toul kork, but larger places hard to find here. I plan to stay here as long as the good diet keeps my healthy and alive. Does not hurt having a wife that cries when i cant see her in province every two weeks.  And her family only wants her happy.

Hey, at 75 cents, i buy the beer, haha.  I tell my disabled friends in vegas about the price of beer and whiskey, and they are ready to move here.  Only three have visited, the rest still scared of that term THIRD WORLD COUNTRY,,,

Iamshane41 wrote:

Hey, at 75 cents, i buy the beer, haha.  I tell my disabled friends in vegas about the price of beer and whiskey, and they are ready to move here.  Only three have visited, the rest still scared of that term THIRD WORLD COUNTRY,,,

I'll help you. You can get 50 cents beer during the day.....

On top look for apartments in Tuol Tompoung, great area.

Cheers.

Joe

Hey I did finally talk one of my buddies into coming , because he's on about 700$ a month social security, never really paid into it, we found him a small place on some land he grows vegetables, and he's about 15k out of Phnom Penh, 75$ a month , he found a nice province girl and they are happy as hell , she got to quit the garment factory, and they grow and sell vegetables, h takes about 1-200$ out of a savings account, and goes to Vietnam the coast all on less than 1000$ a month ,

Jo is right you could get a nicer two bedroom in the Russian market area, it has everything and has nicer cheaper apartments, but great area

Hey Joe Khmer, and Twinsguy.  My wife (or future) in town for a week. Wednesday 26th to the 3rd october. Since you two are like the experts, can i meet one or both of of you and buy you beer. If you know of reasonable fair rental agents or rental websites in Tum Pun or any area that you consider good, that  deal with locals, my wife. Can we meet and i rack your brains.  I dont really care for 100% western amenities, just some like hot water shower and decent electric.   I figure dealing with her will bring down price.  Most important to me is not being busy downtown with daughters and having a local market around for everyday food. 

Been here a while but now have to change gears and spend less on rent per sm, and more on food and the kids schools.

I normally have no problem helping others find a place but i can always learn. Especially since i dont speak khmer.  And this time i am looking for more a mix khmer/western style something i never looked at before. Most important wife is happy. Happy wife, happy life? Haha. Since my wife reads khmer and thai, will be easier for her to decipher addresses and ads online. 

Let me know if you have time to meet. 

You can add me as a contact here.  I am off work that whole 7 days, so,i am always available. Then i can give my line to you for privacy. .  If the price is right on an apartment, might just rent immediately.

Shane.

Send you PM.

Cheers.

Joe

Hey jo is going to  the same information I got from jo  , except the good realtor, I knew him first , jo has some great insights into the country being here so many years , good luck