Australian looking for work in Ship Building/Repair, Survey, Paint

Hi - I'm Paul. 48-yo, ex-Royal Australian Navy 23 years (Marine Engineering).
Living in Sydney currently, although looking to move to Vietnam mid to late 2019.

Looking for work in Marine Survey, Shipyard, Ship Build, Repair, NDT, Paint inspector etc. I have skills and experience in many areas. Have managed teams up to 40 people, in a high tempo environment.

Would also be open to volunteer work with animals or disadvantaged kids.
i.e. I don't NEED full time work.

Getting put off by seeing not much other than teaching English advertised - which I have no qualification in.

Any ideas or feedback appreciated.

Cheers, Paul

Twodogs100 wrote:

Getting put off by seeing not much other than teaching English advertised - which I have no qualification in.

Any ideas or feedback appreciated.

Cheers, Paul

Paul,

Sorry to say there really isn't much option for you.  The problem is the Vietnamese government does everything possible to protect the VN people and jobs.  Basically if a position can be filled by a VN person they won't give it to an outsider.  That's why teaching works.  Native English speaking people are sought after to teach and having native English speakers do this serves Vietnam's needs, not the other way around.

Ok thanks (Late Reply).

What about Volunteering?
Is Volunteering considered work like I hear about Thailand?

To make matters worse for you, shipbuilding in Vietnam is pretty much state owned enterprises, making it even less likely that they will be hiring foreigners.

Strategic Marine has an office in Vung Tau.

Strategi Marine

Thanks, they look good, and I will be in Vung Tau June-2020.