Peru Cuts Tourist Time By 50%

When I flew into Lima last night, Inmigración asked me if I was coming to stay as a tourist.

Last year, when I also visited Lima as a tourist, I asked for and got the traditional 180 days on a tourist stamp.

However, the Inmigración officer told me that as of this year (2019), nobody gets more than 90 days on a tourist stamp.

He told me I could go to an Inmigración office and extend my time by another 90 days if I decide to stay.

---

Historically, Peru has charged only a dollar a day for tourists who have overstayed their stamps and then are leaving La República.

It will be important for future overstayers to know if the dollar-a-day charge remains in effect (or has been increased) .. or if they should consider doing the paperwork for a legitimate próroga.

cccmedia

The US state department still lists the 183 days as a maximum (as of 8/19/19). They only state that there are fines involved if you over stay your visa. I was also told that going out of the country and returning wasn't an option anymore, and that it still was. Another traveller reported that he tried to re-enter the country at one place, was told he couldn't, then went to another entry where he got in with no trouble. Possibly it just depends on where you go...