Trujillo vs Arequipa

Is there anyone living in Trujillo or Arequipa that could give me pros and cons on living in those cities ?
I am considering moving to Peru and looking at these two places in particular. Types of apartments available (new? modern? and cost?) Large or small Expat community ? Easy to meet English speaking Expats or natives there ? Modern Malls? Choice of American and Peruvian restaurants etc. Healthcare System ??? Cost of living (apartments) and just every day life

Your info would really be very much appreciated .
Thank you

karmsun wrote:

Trujillo or Arequipa....
I am considering moving to Peru and looking at these two places in particular. Types of apartments available (new? modern? and cost?) Large or small Expat community ? Easy to meet English speaking Expats or natives there ? Modern Malls? Choice of American and Peruvian restaurants etc.? Healthcare System ??? Cost of living (apartments) and just every day life

It is two weeks later and no folks have stepped up to answer nine questions about each of these two cities.  Not too surprising if you do the math -- 18 questions in all.  That's a lot to throw at Expats in an opening post.

This subsequent lack of posting could indicate a visit to both ciudades by the OP.  Since they are 1,565 km apart, about 24 hours by car, I'd say a plane flight would be indicated. 

Alternatively, presuming arrival in Peru via Lima, a bus trip to Trujillo (closer to the capital) and a subsequent flight to Arequipa .. might be a plan.

cccmedia in Lima

Did you make it to Arequipa and Trujillo? I've visited both places. I am a native of Peru and my husband and I plan to move Arequipa this summer. We much prefer Arequipa, although we like Trujillo also.

Dear Wypeck,,

If you post here again (it's been a few months),

please tell us why y'all prefer Arequipa over

Trujillo?

Is it because Arequipa is a little larger and has

more of what you like?

Is it because Arequipa at over 7000' elevation

has milder weather than Trujillo, which is closer

to the equator, 112' elevation ..  and gets warmer

in some months?  (Still only 79 F. average highs

in Feb-March historically, per Wikipedia).

Is it because you are mesmerized by the

white sillar buildings of Arequipa a.k.a.

the White City .. appearing to shimmer

in the light at certain times of day?

cccmedia

We feel the safest when we are at the hotel and we don't go very far," Canadian tourist Jennifer Korver told The National from Arequipa, a hotbed of unrest in the country's south.              --CBC

I wonder how @wypeck2 is liking Arequipa and whether bananas are getting through.

Not sure if the last post relates to the unrest this December 2022.

Regarding Peru, there has been unrest following the ex-President trying to dissolve congress to gain full control but didnt get the support of the military - so the reverse happened and he now is in jail for 18 months whilst investigations happen. The vice president has taken his place until elections in a year.

Regarding Arequipa: I arrived on the 8th in Lima and flew immediately to Arq. with no problems. Then the next day there was some targeted rioting in many/most cities. Arequipa airport and Cusco  airports amongst others were put out of action. There have been a few (peaceful) protest marches here and some vandalism at night. To counteract this Peru is under a State of Emergency and most large towns have a curfew 8pm to 4am and a larger police presence is noticeable.

We have been Xmas shopping a few times in the city in the last 10 days without problem. 

A good friend in Trujillo has confirmed similar. As of today Arequipa airport is flying morning flights for the next week whilst repairs take place. Cusco has a large backlog of tourists trying to go back to Lima which will take a week or so.  Road travel was impacted by impromptu road blocking on the PanAmerican Highway and is not recommended for a couple of weeks. there may be some shortage of fuel and foodstuff whilst things are put back to normal ....... travel costs will also rise short term!!

Arequipa vs Trujillo in normal times: Arq is temperate and high altitude, Truj is coastal and hot.Normally Truj has slightly more crime due to gangs and illegal immigration. Peru would be a place to test the waters with a long holiday before jumping into living there - then carefully chose the spot.

For tourists / impending tourists. There is likely to be disruption for a number of weeks including Macchu Piccu.

If it were my first trip I would definitely postpone until next year. Otherwise expect your itenary to change. Some people like Lima but dont accept it as an alternative holiday to elsewhere in the country due to current problems. Safety on tourist routes is not usually an issue but obviously keep wits about you, and be prepared for changes at short notice.

I've visited for 40 years and it is always "interesting" - sometimes more than others.

Arequipa 2023 has a cool climate most of the year and the rains are very infrequent. It is a city with sunny and warm days in which the temperature varies between 20 °C and 25 °C, which can be considered a good range of thermal sensation.

At night, temperatures usually drop to 9 °C or 8 °C, and can reach lows of 6 °C, especially in winter. In a few words, Arequipa is favored with a pleasant, sunny, very stable climate and without extreme temperatures throughout the year.

Now if you want to make an small trip, I recommend to read this article *****

Moderated by Mickael last year
Reason : No advertising on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I will be visiting both again in April.  Any comments from people there now or having been there recently?  Seems like everything has calmed down again.

Hoping to get there soon, too

Be there in a week!  Guess I will find out.  Looking forward to being back in Peru.  I should hit Lima, Arequipa, Chimbote, and maybe Mancora.

Trujillo temperature facts.

The so-called warm season in Trujillo ends

during the first week in April, based on

historical norms.

The hottest month of the typical year is

February, when the average high in Fahrenheit

is in the 70s.

Trujillo's cool season lasts for four months,

from July 6 to November 6, during which time

the high temperature normally does not

exceed 70 degrees F.

Source... weatherspark.com

Just returned to Arequipa from Cusco. Arequipa has been unusually wet this year and despite reaching the dry season, still has some black clouds circling. April is forecast to receive some unseasonal rain from the LaNina effect. Much worse rainfall and flooding has affected coastal regions Lima to the North and into Ecuador in the last week. Build in some extra travel time and pack a brolly. All will be OK.

For those heading to Cusco and the Sacred Valley - it was very quiet. Almost no foreign tourists. The pandemic and more recent political troubles have dealt a serious blow. Even the tourist office(s) were closed. Not that prices have come down though. Weather typically changeable but pleasant. Take a brolly to beat back the art sellers who have just spotted a foreigner!!!

¨Take a brolly to beat back the

art sellers who have just spotted

a foreigner...¨

---

Brolly is the British term for

umbrella, the word's origin being

university English slang according

to my research.

Americans (USA) have long since

jettisoned their ´belle époque' term

for the rain-shielding device.

Here in South America we use the

noun 'el paraguas' (pah-RAH-gwahss).

cccmedia at the international airport's

Juan Valdez coffee shop in

Rio Negro, Colombia

University slang? Not sure what that is. Brolly just comes from a shortening of Umbrella to Brelly then corrupted by accent to Brolly in UK.

In coastal peru they usually get called Sombrillas   ie. sun brollies  ..... until this year.

Now get me started with Wellies and Bumbershoots!

I was planning on hittiing Mancora in 2 weeks, but not sure now.. heard it got demolished in the rains!  I will be in Arequipa for 5 days, a beach north of Lima for two,  then Trujillo and  Chimbote. Lastly,  if not the beach Mancora, then maybe I will visit the snow in Huaraz! 

Yes there has been flooding up the northern coast and into Ecuador.

Some pictures of motorhomes on the news floating along the road in Mancora yesterday!

They were predicting at least another week of rain after that depends on the LaNina event.

On the plus side there are some webcams dotted about Peru with a couple at Mancora. Looked to be a pleasant evening at the beach with people walking by a small surf shack. The heavy rain is inland though.

Arequipa should be fairly dry & sunny as will the southern beaches. Lima's northern beaches probably OK. Trujillo and northwards still have poor forecasts - and Piura district the worst.

Keep an eye on the weather forecast!  Note there was a Dengue fever alert for 90 days from the end of February due to the increased likelihood of mosquitos in recently flooded areas with high temperatures.

So repellent, bottled water/ beer for sweaty areas and avoid rivers.

Havent heard of any major problems for Huaraz (like Cusco there are localised thunderstorms). There has been some reinstatement of Inca trails going on there.