Get a driver's license in the Philippines as a foreigner

Hi guys,

I'm a 23 y.o. French and I'd like to get a driver's license just in case... but in France, it's really expensive and it takes forever to get it, same in Japan, so I'm thinking about getting one in the Philippines, I've heard that it's not a long and expensive process there, and there even are some people who claim they got theirs while on a tourist visa...

I'm wondering if there are foreigners here got their drivers license in the Philippines, how much it cost, where they went and how long it took to get it.

Thank you,
Loïc

chesspsps :

Hi guys,

I'm a 23 y.o. French and I'd like to get a driver's license just in case... but in France, it's really expensive and it takes forever to get it, same in Japan, so I'm thinking about getting one in the Philippines, I've heard that it's not a long and expensive process there, and there even are some people who claim they got theirs while on a tourist visa...

I'm wondering if there are foreigners here got their drivers license in the Philippines, how much it cost, where they went and how long it took to get it.

Thank you,
Loïc

Last time I asked a driving school here, they said one of the requirement for foreigners to get a Philippines driving license is that they must have visa that is valid for 1 year or above, counts from the date of applying. Converting a foreign driving license to Philippines driving license, on the other hand, is much more fast and easy.

The same visa requirement applies to converting a foreign license.

Thanks for the replies! And do you have any idea what could be the price? and also if we can take it in English? Thanks!

You can take it in English and it should cost less than $20.00 US dollars. Get to the LTO early and be patient. It may take you several hours depending on the branch and queue line. If you want to save time and money, download the medical form and take to any doctor to have signed before going to the LTO.

Thanks! it sounds really cheap

If you find the right person, you can get it without having to do anything but pay money--no learner's permit, no test, no waiting, no visa requirements, just showing my CA drivers license and passport. But that's probably not through legal channels.

bizwizard
you can use your UK dricing license only for 90 days - to drive legaly in philippines over this 90 day you MUST apply for the orrect philippines driving license ...Respectfuly ....

regards

Zyrena: Where did you see anything about a UK drivers license? I'm not a Brit.

I obtained a legitimate Philippine driver's license.

bizwizard

Sir that is true
I only expressing what i had found out for the use of my UK driving license
respect Sir

regards

Sorry for any misunderstanding, Zyrena.

I've had a pinoy 'driver's license' for car and motor now for about 11 years, and it's so easy because there's no real testing. Just patiently pay the many fees from window to window, and presto, you've what represents a DL. No need for a fixer or any other dodgy practices. Only true requirement is patience and some money... Hope this helps?

Thanks guys, it seems pretty easy from what I can see, compared to France where they like to milk all your money by adding more driving hours....

You do need to get a medical before applying for your license. It used to be that you had to use the LTO doctor but now you can download the form and have any licensed doctor sign it. I had a doctor sign mine when I went in for a new bp prescription. No exam, just signed it.
Like others have said, stay away from fixers. If you  ever get stopped and they check your license validity you are screwed!

Good afternoon everyone.
I’m from Canada and spend 8 to 9 months every year  in Iloilo City. I’ve recently bought a car. And now reading that I can only use my Canada license for 3 months I’m wondering can I have both, a Canadian and Philippine license?
Thanks for any information
Réal D

Dreal1

You can have both.

As for getting a license on a tourist visa(which doesn't meet the 1 year visa requirement) it can be done, & not by a fixer. I won't go into the details & you didn't hear it from me, but let's just say money talks. Especially at the more remote LTO offices out in the provinces

Dreal1 :

Good afternoon everyone.
I’m from Canada and spend 8 to 9 months every year  in Iloilo City. I’ve recently bought a car. And now reading that I can only use my Canada license for 3 months I’m wondering can I have both, a Canadian and Philippine license?
Thanks for any information
Réal D

Absolutely, you don't need to surrender your Canadian license to get a philippine license.