Children integration in a new school in Australia

Hello everyone,

Moving abroad can be particularly hard on children. For any parent planning a move to Australia, it is of utmost importance to make sure they do everything in their power to make sure their children's transition is as smooth as possible. Would you be able to give a few tips to parents planning to move to Australia by answering the following questions on children integration?

What does one need to factor in when choosing a new school for their children in Australia?

How does one prepare their children for the transition into a new school in Australia?

How does one help their children integrate into their new school? Any tips to help a child transitioning into a completely different new program or curriculum?

Is there an age period during which a child really should change schools?

What are the signs that a child is having trouble transitioning into their new school?

Tell us how it went for your child in Australia.

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

Hi Bhavna
Great question and there is no one answer to this.
Firstly when you move into a new country, the most important thing is to engage in the local community. Not only with Australians of Indian descent but with all Australians. They are very friendly. There is no one upship. It's all about being grateful for what we have. There are also some not so nice people too but they're not majority. You engaging in the community will make it easier for your children to be inclusive, as children always learn from you. However it is the most easy thing for children - to start a conversion with other children.

What does one need to factor in when choosing a new school for their children in Australia?
Attend the community events (festivals) at the school prior to choosing a school where you'll get to meet parents, teachers, etc to get a feel of the school. You'll know whether you'll fit in. Have a tour of the school, see facilities, amenities, etc. Find out what is the ratio of Indians in the school, it is important to know. Some schools are known for academics, some sports, some arts,etc.

How does one prepare their children for the transition into a new school in Australia?
Have a conversation with your child one to one to know  what they're feeling and accordingly help them through. Every child will have different inhibitions.
To any school, a child should arrive early- atleast 20 mins before so he/she can play with other children prior to lessons.

How does one help their children integrate into their new school? Any tips to help a child transitioning into a completely different new program or curriculum?
The curriculum is easier than in India. It's more understanding based rather than textbook based.
Having a structure/ timetable for meal times, study times at home helps. Play dates with fellow classmates also helps. As once they form friendships they have someone to guide them or be guided by your child. Who knows!

Is there an age period during which a child really should change schools?
Not really. You as a parent will know when your child is not happy. There is no rule that your child has to suffer because you've changed too many schools already.

What are the signs that a child is having trouble transitioning into their new school?
You as a parent need to be very close to your child. A friend so he/she can confide in you. Sometimes some children confide in their siblings. As a parent you will always know when something isn't right.

Tell us how it went for your child in Australia.
Hahaha
My children were born in India. I actually went to Bombay  to have my children just cause our families are there and there is a lot of help available with a new born baby. That was most important to us as a couple.
My children travel annually if not once very two years to India so that they are aware of their culture and know where they come from.
We've changed a few schools for reasons of moving to another suburb, child not happy at school (too many Caucasians - I wouldn't say racism but not inclusive would be the right term), too many Indians (being bullied by desis, yes that also happens),etc
However it is important to have some inclusion within your cultural community because there are a few key different things that Indian parents do for their children and vice versa which is very different to Caucasian parenting.

All in all I have learnt from personal experiences that once you've chosen a school it doesn't mean that it will be suited forever. Things can change and we as parents need to adapt and make a change when it is required. Every experience taught us something and we grew.