Seriously thinking of moving to Malta

My name is Irene. My husband Wolfgang. Wolfgang is German and I'm Greek and I are considering moving to Malta.
We are semi retired. I'm a Life Coach and we both are Reliv distributors. Reliv is a very high quality supplement company.
We've lived in 14 countries in the ME, Africa, Latin America and Europe. Presently, we live in Dayton Ohio.
We want to escape the cold winters and enjoy Europe and most importantly cut down on expenses.
We love the beach, good food, we are very social, enjoy hiking , walking and good company.
We are looking to move by March 2020
We will come visit as we are debating between Malta and Athens, Greece
I'm open to suggestions and input from people that are already experiencing Malta.
Thank you

Best Island in Malta is GOZO. Can recomend https://www.devinkestates.com/relocation/ btw because property market in Malta is bit typical (agents operating for both owners/sellers and tenants/buyers.

As a German living in Gozo myself I have to warn you about winter over here. It is not so much the temperature, but the poor insulation of houses that will spoil your electricity bill during the cold season from December to April. Whilst my normal electricity bill is about €100.00 a month, during the winter season it goes up to €300.00 a month. This means whenever, you rent or obtain a property make sure the building is insulated. If this is not applicable you need plenty blankets to enjoy the winter season over here. Of course there is an alternative. During winter just go to Australia or South Africa. Even in Germany it is warmer than in Malta. Of course not outside, but inside because houses over there have proper insulation.

We use air con for heating and our bills are no where as expensive as that.

GozoMo wrote:

I use air con for heating too.The overall consumption depends on the size of the flat. As I have 115 sqm my bill in February and in March 2018 reached about €300.00. I do not expect to pay less this year. However, people who use a gas heater spend less. At the other hand gas is  dangerous. I still remember pensioner Derek of Gozo. May he rest in peace.

hanselmar wrote:
GozoMo wrote:

I use air con for heating too.The overall consumption depends on the size of the flat. As I have 115 sqm my bill in February and in March 2018 reached about €300.00. I do not expect to pay less this year. However, people who use a gas heater spend less. At the other hand gas is  dangerous. I still remember pensioner Derek of Gozo. May he rest in peace.

Are you on the cheaper rate?   We don't have gas heaters, the only other heating is an oiled fired radiator which has not been used very much this year.   We have lived here six years and this has been the worse winter.
We were in Germany last month and it was very cold and snowed but our son has under floor heating in his house which was lovely.

My winter bill 2018 was 1312 units. There are 3 price categories over here. 0.1365kw/h is the lowest. Unfortunately my highest consumption was  at the medium rate which is 0.1673kw/h. The highest rate over here is 0.2023kw/h. In Germany electricity is more expensive. However, the most of the people do not use electricity for heating. They use their central heating system which is often oil or gas. This means the price is less than half of what they would have to pay for electricity which is at least 0.2380kw/h in Germany. An underfloor heating is a lovely system. Recently I have seen it being advertised in Malta too.

hanselmar wrote:

My winter bill 2018 was 1312 units. There are 3 price categories over here. 0.1365kw/h is the lowest. Unfortunately my highest consumption was  at the medium rate which is 0.1673kw/h. The highest rate over here is 0.2023kw/h. In Germany electricity is more expensive. However, the most of the people do not use electricity for heating. They use their central heating system which is often oil or gas. This means the price is less than half of what they would have to pay for electricity which is at least 0.2380kw/h in Germany. An underfloor heating is a lovely system. Recently I have seen it being advertised in Malta too.

You are on the Domestic tariff if those are your rates, you should be on the  Residential tariff which is 10.4 cents per unit up to 2000 units (band 1) and 12.98 cents per unit (band 2) from 2000 - 6000 units pa.
Our electricity for 4 months from October 27th to February 26th was just €140 with all electric heating using Aircon units.

Hi All,

I am looking for Job in Malta

let me know if someone wants to Hire me :) It want be your bad decision

F0xgl0ve wrote:
hanselmar wrote:

You are on the Domestic tariff if those are your rates, you should be on the  Residential tariff which is 10.4 cents per unit up to 2000 units (band 1) and 12.98 cents per unit (band 2) from 2000 - 6000 units pa.
Our electricity for 4 months from October 27th to February 26th was just €140 with all electric heating using Aircon units.

Thank you for your advice. Up to now I did not notice there are several tariffs.