Bartending as a Female Expat

Does anyone have any experience working as an expat bartender in CR? I have 20 years experience behind the bar stateside and am looking to retire from life here and begin a new journey. I have been to CR previously, but I suppose I am wondering what the earning potential is in CR, is it a liveable wage (covering housing, utilities, food, etc), are there issues with getting a job behind a bar being a female (some countries and even cities in the US have the mentality that women don't belong behind the bar)? Thanks in advance!

Working in Costa Rica

I want to work in Costa Rica

Technically you would not be legally hired as a bartender in Costa Rica.
However I imagine that if you could find some larger gringo-owned hotel bars or gringo owned bars they might hire you "under the table". It'd be hard to find something I imagine unless you just got lucky... but maybe possible.

I have seen a few gringa bartenders over the years. But don't ask where, I don't remember.

You should check out the visa requirements. You would not be able to legally work in CR until you have residency, which can take a few years.  If you work on your tourist visa and are discovered (or turned in by a Tica who wants the job you took) you will be deported.  Re-entry after visa violations is rare.

BlueRidgeBoy wrote:

You should check out the visa requirements. You would not be able to legally work in CR until you have residency, which can take a few years.  If you work on your tourist visa and are discovered (or turned in by a Tica who wants the job you took) you will be deported.  Re-entry after visa violations is rare.

I would agree that there is some risk in working illegally here.
However I am curious:
Have you ever personally known or even have a friend of a friend who's been deported for working illegally?

I've been coming here for over 20 years, have met many who work here illegally, yet have never known one person to be deported. I heard about someone who was deported once but supposedly they were real jerks and all their Tico neighbors hated them. That's the only case I've ever heard of and for all I know it might be a myth.

People also say you can't be a "perpetual tourist" leaving every 90 days for years... yet I've personally known at least 3 people who have done that for 10-20 years with nary a problem.

What I've noted about Costa Rica in my years of visiting and living here is that there are many laws... but few people who enforce those laws. Often you will wish they would enforce the law and they will find reasons not to, often due to a lack of personnel or laziness.

If you love the country you would not want to jeopardize your ability to live there. So if I were you I'd follow the rules. Not trying to be an ass but just offering the wisdom of my experience.