Driving in China

Hello everyone,

I am aware that as a foreigner, you can provide your original driver's licence and (after some bureaucracy) get a Chinese driver's licence. However, in my case, I do not have a driver's licence in my home country. Is it possible to pass the Chinese test and get a Chinese licence (without ever having a licence in your home country)?

Thank you very much!

simple answer..."YES"...

Would you be able to direct me towards any essential information? That would be super helpful. Thanks for your answer!

Yes. 

Since you have never driven in china before, I would respectively urge you to obtain education at a professional driving school. They are everywhere. Not only will they teach you, but will hold your hand (so to speak) and make sure that you get the license.

https://tse1-mm.cn.bing.net/th?id=OIP.gc_-Iuy87aPK4Bd0ZJNG6wHaFi&pid=Api&dpr=1

The written test is easy. You can study for it online, in English no less! I studied it, that way before I obtained my license. I would devote about two hours a day for around two months and stopped studying when I routinely got a score of 96 out of 100.

Ask a Chinese friend to help you find a school and, if need be, help translate for you during the process. Reward them with a meal and some fun (drinking and shaokao) and make a lifetime friend in the process.

The cost will vary, but will be under 3000 RMB, unless you are in a first tier city downtown. Then, it might be higher. Shop around.  Best of luck.

That's handy information, thanks a lot :)

Thank you so much for your helpful information!

So you mentioned a written exam. I imagine there is also a driving test. Is there anything particular that I need to know about that?

@darcybellcamp

About the driving test, no there isn't anything strange between say... taking a test in America and one in China. Except, the laws, and the rules in China are very, very different from the states. And, as strange as it seems, the testing regulations and procedures are far stricter than the USA. I mean, how can this be the case? I've seen some pretty bad drivers in China, I'll tell you what.

Yes- they administer the test in English but you have to study carefully because you need a 90% or better grade to pass.  Not having a valid driver's lisc from your home country just means you also need to pass their driving exam as well as the std computer exam.  Easiest option is to GET a driver's lisc in your home country and then bring it over and just take the computer exam here in English - not sure how they would administer the driving exam to a non-Chinese....

I have done the written exam..it took three tries but I did pass it and I had to study. 

I think this link may still work:  http://www.chinese-driving-test.com/test/

It is the ONLY site I found that had practice tests....there is NO BOOK to study and some of the questions are tricky.  It took me a month of practice tests and then I was ready to take the real exam. 

Here are some tips...if you already have a DL from your home country then the process is easy...you will take a health exam (they check your eyesight mostly and hearing) then you pay a fee and then you take the written exam.  You have two tries at it and must pass with a 90% (my first and second attempt I got 88%) on the third pass I had 92%...

You will spend about 600 RMB on this process or maybe a little more, that pays for all the fees and processing.

You can NOT be over the age of 60, people over 60 can not get a DL here.  If you have one prior to that age you can keep it and get it renewed. 

If you must take the driving test then by all means you will need to pay for a school to teach you and be prepared to have some issues if you do not speak ANY Chinese...I do not know of any schools in my area that have bi-lingual instructors.  The driving test is three parts and it can take several months.  You have two driving parts and the written exam.  Also when you first get your license you are not permitted to drive on the highway by yourself for the first year. 

Finally you will need insurance for you and the car...having a car is expensive...so while I do have my license I do not own a car.  I can drive and it's fun to show off my DL but I don't drive here for many reasons...I did this more to prove I could than for any other reason.

Good luck to you.

I think the information above is pretty good, I'd just add one experience.

You have to sit the test in the same administration area as you are resident. Some less developed areas do not have the theory test in English - this may be a difficulty

Also although just about  everyone drives an automatic it is mandatory to sit the test in a manual - this may also slow you down if you are in a hurry to get your license.

To add: There is a practice book for the written test and you can buy this book in English as well as other languages (Russian, Arabic, French etc as long as I can remember). This book contains ALL the questions and answers. What the computer does is to randomly choose these questions on different sections and you answer them. No two candidates have 100% the same test questions but all of them are from the same practice book. If you can memorize about 1000 questions and answers, you are good to go. Pass mark is starting from a score of 90 out of 100 questions. The longer you prepare the better are the chances of passing. When doing the test (computerized) you can also choose which language you want to take the exam from a choice of about 5 (not very sure since it has been a long time ago - 10 years plus). The book can be bought from the Traffic Administration offices or you might find it on Taobao website.