Buying a vehicle in Inner Mongolia

Hello!

I am planning on a big adventure, which starts and ends in China. I will travel up through Mongolia, Russia, then down through Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan, and back into China.

I wish to buy a vehicle in China, but want to know a few things. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated!

Firstly, I am looking to buy a Vehicle in Inner Mongolia, as I will travel north. I've read that purchasing vehicles in Beijing is difficult, so I had an idea of going straight to Inner Mongolia. Does anyone know if the rules change for Vehicle Registration and number plate lotteries in an autonomous region?

Also, if I am successful in buying a car in Inner Mongolia, will there be issues reentering China in Xinjiang?

Any help is much appreciated,

Ben

Sounds like a great plan.

Do you already have a Chinese driver license? Without license, a car will be of no use. International license is not valid in China.

I'm not sure about the process to buy a car in Inner Mongolia, but I suppose that it's similar to where I live. The easiest way is to find a car dealer, and he will take care of all the paper work.

Good luck with your trip!

Thanks for the reply.

I've been informed in other forums that it's really hard, if not impossible, to buy (register,plate,insure) a car in China.

So option B (buying a car in Mongolia) has turned into option A...

in 2011 I purchased a car in Zhuhai... very simple matter ... many cities its easy to buy a car....and yes the dealer will take care of all the paperwork...I didn't have a current Chinese Drivers License at the time... but it didn't matter...
I obtained a Chinese license soon after....at the time it was very easy....
now things have changed very much and to obtain a drivers license is much more difficult... many expat friends gave tried... and most have failed....
I then organised a driving trip
China to Vietnam... then into southern Cambodia...then up north into Thailand... then back into china....
The Process to be able to take the car out of China and into other countries..then back into China is a bloody nightmare... and it took me more than 6 months to organise...
The trip took me 4 months.... and it was worth all the trouble...
good luck with trying to get a Chinese Drivers License...

genuineaussie wrote:

to obtain a drivers license is much more difficult...

If you mean to buy a license without passing a test, yes this got a lot more difficult in past years. But for everybody who wants to get it on the legal way It's not that difficult to get the driver license. You will need the right visa, and you have to pass a written exam. The exam is available in many languages, and was very similar to the exam I took back in Europe.

I'm not sure which Visas allow you to get a drivers license, you'd need to check that.

my License was obtained Legally by sitting a Theory Test.... and presenting my own Valid Australian Driving License....and paying to have it Translated to English 150 yuan... also registering a Chinese Name for myself 100 yuan.....

A Chinese Drivers License can now only be issued to a Chinese Name....

However for foreigners to pass the current written Test... is difficult... very difficult... there are 100 questions...and the translation from Chinese to English is just a machine translation.... and for foreigners to Pass they must have a 98/100 correct answers....Chinese nationals need only 90/100 to pass...

to buy a vehicle... you need a visa that allows you to stay in China continuously for 6 months....

I faced the exact same procedure. I passed with 92/100, about 3 years ago. That was already the new test. At that time 90% of chinese nationals didn't pass the test. But you could try as many times as you wanted. I never heared that a foreigner needs 98/100, must be new, or specific to your place.
I agree that the translation is bad, some questions you can only guess what it could mean...

The regulations regarding Foreigners came into force all over China 1 September 2014