ATM withdrawl and Over The Limit ?!!!

Hi,

I've been using my Schwab debit card to withdraw cash for a couple of years now without any issues until last few days … I could only withdraw $6mil vnd and the next attempt failed due to "You have reached your limit for the day on this card" when I only withdrew $6mil vnd for the day. I thought no big deal, wait for the next day and try again.  Next day first attempt same error.  And the next day same error.

I called and talked to Schwab service rep and was informed that my card has a daily limit of $1000 usd, and there was no sign of request attempts from VN side, and denied on the US side.  I tried 4 different banks, and got the same message … Your card has reached the daily limit.

Anyone has experienced the same issue?   Thanks in advance for the input.

Most of the banks now have 2 or 3 million limits (its an atm limit not an account limit. Most of them will then allow you to make another withdrawal (with another fee) its just another exapmle of banks stealing money

Our cards were fine.  Withdrew a total of 69.5M over Fri, Sat, and Sun last week with no problem at all.  Of course we had to make 8 transactions each time, but it has been the same way for years.  We've always used Sacombank ATMs.  Every time we used other banks, some slight hiccup happened so we've learned our lesson.

It seems like you should be able to go into a bank, talk to the staff and withdraw funds that way.

I have a VISA credit card for which the ATM operator fees were previously refunded. But a few years ago the bank stopped doing that.

I think I remember reading that time, that these credit cards were not anymore accepted at some ATMs.

Maybe it's the same with the Schwab card now.

I don't know how Schwab finances the refund.  Maybe they have an agreement with the ATM operators.
And perhaps the ATM operators no longer want to participate.

johnross23 wrote:

It seems like you should be able to go into a bank, talk to the staff and withdraw funds that way.

That's how it works for me.  Are you saying you can't just make a withdrawal?  I just this weekend went to my bank and withdrew 200,000,000 with no questions asked.   Just my passport, two signatures and get the cash.  Anytime I need over 30,000,000 which is my ATM limit I just go to the branch.  No fees, no hassle, no problems.  Ocean Bank for what it is worth.  They also said I can increase my ATM limit if I want to.  I keep forgetting to do it when I am at a branch.

Yoda0807 wrote:

Hi,

I've been using my Schwab debit card to withdraw cash for a couple of years now without any issues until last few days … I could only withdraw $6mil vnd and the next attempt failed due to "You have reached your limit for the day on this card" when I only withdrew $6mil vnd for the day. I thought no big deal, wait for the next day and try again.  Next day first attempt same error.  And the next day same error.

I called and talked to Schwab service rep and was informed that my card has a daily limit of $1000 usd, and there was no sign of request attempts from VN side, and denied on the US side.  I tried 4 different banks, and got the same message … Your card has reached the daily limit.

Anyone has experienced the same issue?   Thanks in advance for the input.

I had a problem today, but it might be because I recently (two weeks ago) received a replacement card.

I forgot to check and see if my limit was reset again.

Somehow my daily limit had been reduced to $500.00 last month.

When I called Schwab, they reset it to $1,000.00

Then I got my replacement card.

Today I was limited to $500

I'm calling them in a while to have them check the limit.

Just to follow up ... went to Citibank in D1 this morning and was told new policy from Citibank that foreign debit cards can now only withdraw 6mil daily and 12mil total monthly max!!!  Banker wasn't sure about other banks' policy, however, I went to other banks and tried again at the ATM and got the same message of reaching the limit.  I am guessing that this is new central bank policy newly implemented last week throughout VN.

Would be interested in hearing if anyone was successfully in withdrawing more than $12m vnd last few days using international debit cards.

Yoda0807 wrote:

Would be interested in hearing if anyone was successfully in withdrawing more than $12m vnd last few days using international debit cards.

We were.  Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, for a total of 69.5M (a few dollars short of US$3000) from the same Sacombank machine we always use and Schwab cards (2 cards of different names but the same account).

Thanks Ciambella!  I am now stumped. 🤔

Your card, I think the problem is, yoda. 

Thinking this could be serious and make paying my rent complicated, I just went to my local HSBC (Nguyễn Văn Cừ D1)  and inserted Schwab, chose Current Account, and 8.000.000. It gave me 3 options as usual, 7.0M, 7.1M, 7.2 M,
and I greedily took 7.200.000. (Years ago 8M was the HSBC transaction limit.)

Anything different about your Schwab account?
Is it a recent card with chip, or an old card?
Are you being flagged as a risk?
Do they know you are in Vietnam? I never have to report foreign travel anymore.
Do you have a second debit checking account?
Did your dog chew the card? Check for slime.

Gobot,

"Happen to every guy sometimes this does."

I've been using this same chip card for the last year.  In fact, I had 2 successful withdrawals  about 7 days ago.  Yes, schwab is aware I'm in VN, and cleared with fraud department with no outstanding issues. I do have a second debit card as backup but with charges.  No, Shadow didn't chew it but the fleas and ticks may have bugged the chip.  And I've been labeled as a risk all my life ;-)

Will have schwab fedex a new card.  In the meantime, just opened a new usd account and will go with the wire transfer route in case problem persists with new card.

Yoda0807 wrote:

Yes, schwab is aware I'm in VN, and cleared with fraud department with no outstanding issues

Even though Schwab knows I'm here too, I also use the travel notice in the app, specifically for the CARD.

I list a 90 day period of travel, then update again two months later.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Yoda0807 wrote:

Yes, schwab is aware I'm in VN, and cleared with fraud department with no outstanding issues

Even though Schwab knows I'm here too, I also use the travel notice in the app, specifically for the CARD.

I list a 90 day period of travel, then update again two months later.

Yeah I did online or phone travel notices for a few years. After I got chip cards, CapitalOne said don't bother with travel notices anymore. I even went to Australia, which is an unusual travel pattern for me. So I haven't bothered for 2 years since.

Banks, in principle, are evil, anywhere you live. Hence all the transaction fees for them letting you use your money you lend them.