Healthy eating

I live by Dick Gregory's mantra - you are what you eat. Plus our son has g6pd. What we feed him has restrictions. Needless to say, we are on the wrong side of a culture that seems to care less about what is consumed as long as it turns a profit. Ma arte, is a description I live with here and wear proudly. And now that I have children, I am worse.

Any suggestions of places to shop, especially in Davao, where I can find: whole grain breads, milk that has not been reconstituted (organic whole milk would be wonderful), Greek or whole fat yogurt (Face, Ciobani, etc) - not the chemicalized stuff they sell in SR), fruits and veggies that have not been chemicalized

I would travel to other cities if it means providing us with healthier foods.

Thanks
Wayne

ElGatoNegron wrote:

I live by Dick Gregory's mantra - you are what you eat.

I eat a lot of fat, ugly food, always hot (uncool).

It's kind of difficult to find healthy food, especially fresh produce that is appealing. Certainly not like what we get at home in the US. But having said that, here in Cebu I can get whole wheat bread, steel cut oats, plenty of fish and chicken, and veggies from farmers market. Fresh tropical fruit is available everywhere of course. Dried beans, pasta, cheese, coffee from Rustans supermarket.

Fred wrote:
ElGatoNegron wrote:

I live by Dick Gregory's mantra - you are what you eat.

I eat a lot of fat, ugly food, always hot (uncool).

Agreed!

pnwcyclist wrote:

It's kind of difficult to find healthy food, especially fresh produce that is appealing. Certainly not like what we get at home in the US. But having said that, here in Cebu I can get whole wheat bread, steel cut oats, plenty of fish and chicken, and veggies from farmers market. Fresh tropical fruit is available everywhere of course. Dried beans, pasta, cheese, coffee from Rustans supermarket.

Where is the farmers market, please. I am in Cebu about once a month.

Thanks in advance

good day
Would like to try to retire in Cebu but dont know where.if you can suggest another area then Cebu ?
looking somewhere safe not expensive in a cool city so we dont use air condition a lot to save on electricity we will cook at home shop locally .
what is the cost of living renting food shopping and electricity internet .....
your help is much appreciated

thks

ElGatoNegron wrote:
pnwcyclist wrote:

Where is the farmers market, please. I am in Cebu about once a month.

Thanks in advance

Hi Wayne, the Carbon Market is what I was referring to. It's the big one here in Cebu, and the oldest..  not far from the pier where the ferries depart. Tons of fresh veggies, fruits, flowers from the mountain, handicrafts, etc. Just be cautious there.

freeperson wrote:

good day
Would like to try to retire in Cebu but dont know where.if you can suggest another area then Cebu ?
looking somewhere safe not expensive in a cool city so we dont use air condition a lot to save on electricity we will cook at home shop locally .
what is the cost of living renting food shopping and electricity internet .....
your help is much appreciated

thks

Best would be to come here and visit first to see if you like it. The culture is very different than Western countries. There are 7000 islands - hard to make a recommendation. If you want cooler then stay up on the mountain. Keep in mind that when you are outside of a major city in the Philippines it is hard to find many of the things we are accustomed to like whole grain bread, decent cheese, good coffee, tortillas, etc. There will be no Western style restaurants, just Filipino. This might be fine with you but does not work for me. I live a somewhat Western lifestyle in Cebu City so my family (including my GF) can attend good schools but as a result it costs me over $2000/mo for 4 people.. we do have a car, live in a gated condo on the outskirts of town and eat out a few times a week. If not for the schools I would not be in Cebu City as it is so congested and polluted. I would probably go to Panglao,  Moalboal or Dumaguete. Valencia, above Dumaguate is cooler.

There are some threads on Cost of Living here just search for them.