New members of the Maldives forum, introduce yourselves here - 2019

Hi all,

Newbie on the Maldives forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Maldives if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi Julien, I'm a filipino who got a job opportunity in Maldives and I am already excited to work there in the next few months, I hope some can give me the idea how's life living there...By the ways, my salary is not as big as I can get to other country but I choose Maldives asy first destination as an overseas worker, boring provincial life is not an issue to me as long as I have the internet qnd I wish I can get along with the Filipino community there...if you can share me some tips I gladly appreciate it.

Hello, I'm a Maldivian living in Malé the capital city of Maldives. If you guys have any questions please ask and I'll try to help as much as I can. Thanks.

From the Sunny side of life

Hi Mr.Samster,

I am Ransi sri lankan citizen. I got offered March 3rd 2019 form Maldives company as Operations Manager.Till now i didnt got my work permit.As per company information they keep telling visa still on process, it can be happen? Now already 2 month gone. What can i do?

Thanks in advance
ransi

We actually have the same case. The last time I talk to them that my wp is almost done and is about to release. I submitted it last March 19th but I still don't have it on hand but told me to be able to fly to Maldives this May

Hi my name Is Keith I am currently Chief Engineer for Baglioni Resort Maldives

Hi! My name is Rohit. I'm a hotelier and work for one of the hotel chain in Maldives.

Sorry got held up by work and food. Regarding work permits, current wait time for companies (or registered businesses) is approx. a week. However, if you're applying for business visa its a different case. This may or may not be the case for bulk work permit submissions for such as resorts, etc. as it may take longer for bulk wp submissions.

It's best to contact the HR dept. or your manager regarding such case, don't reflect your case directly in these comments, as this is only meant as a helpful guide into the Immigrations admin time as of current dates. It's always good to research yourself as well by checking from the Maldivian Immigration department. Hope this helps :)

Hi there All,

Newbie here ! Hoping for some help :)

Recently returned from a holiday to the Maldives and thought to myself, yeah I would like to spend some more time here, love the tropical weather, the surf, the water temps !!

Im wanting to explore a business opportunity in the Maldives. My business has over the past 5-6 years developed a highly productive and commercially viable indoor (ie artificially lit, vertical) fresh produce grow system which Id like to place and service in resorts directly. Loosely, thinking of spending 3 months to execute a pilot model to investigate and assess viability.

Due to the production systems very small footprint, just a few square metres (very scale able, up or down), and relatively low energy input, it could squeeze into most resorts and as such eliminate the need to freight in at least some portion of fresh produce directly. Id envisage living in Male or some place close by and travel by boat (my own, or perhaps hire one or partner with local who has one) to service each resort on a regular basis, with the view to training up a local Maldivian/s to perform the required day to day tasks. Im a qualified boat skipper but my expertise is mainly as a specialized farmer. View to setting up several satellite type replications of the business model throughout the Maldives due to relatively long transit times between atolls, if initial pilot model gets traction.

Would love to connect with a person/person who could help out with some of the practicalities of making this happen, some one who perhaps has a good understanding of the resorts, perhaps even partner in the business.

For me, I could execute the business successfully in almost any location - but its not all about money - I choose the Maldives because I'd love to spend time there. Currently living in the beautiful region of Margaret River, Western Australia but our business operation is setup the capital city of Perth.

Much appreciated any help or insights - thank you !

Cheers, Adam

Hi my name is Renny , and few months from now ill be work in feydhoo maldives..
I'm gonna ask if $400 is enough salary for waiter?
Free food
Free accommodation
Tips
Commission
Free vacation ticket
OT
Your response will be appreciated. Thank you!

Hello . It's okay  just take they offer you will be surprised to find the service charge is more than salary. All the best

Hello everyone,
Can anyone tell me that is there any problem for Indians to get employment approval because I am waiting for last one month.
And my friends are telling that Maldives is not giving employment approval or work permits to Indians. Also I have resigned from my current job and I am waiting for employment approval for last month.
Please help me to know the right and correct things about my case so I can move forward with the same job.

Thanks & Regards
Rada

Hi Mr Rohit.
Can you tell me how much time it will take to get my employment approval . Because I am waiting for last one month.

Also please let me know that for Indian Citi is there any problem in employment approval.

hello from England and just arrived for a few years - anyone fancy a coffee - lunch - dinner  let me know. If you have ideas how we can entertain ourselves at weekend then ideas very welcome.

Hello. I'm Sean O'Connor, a South African. I have just arrived in The Maldives. Very excited to be here! I have a 2 year, renewable contract, working for the new local airline called Manta Air.
I like to get to know people, join social groups, get involved in beach and ocean cleanups, etc. I would also like to meet up with other surfers and freedivers to find out about the best local spots.

Hi Everybody at Hulumale for last 5 Months :)

Hi, im sama from  India, I recently got the job offer of teacher and the package they said is Salary: INR 70 - 80k PM (1100 u.s.d approx)  (Tax Free with a saving potential of 40 - 50k PM) + Medical insurance.

Is it good offer to take ?? Would I able to save some money as they say?

Hi, my name is Anamika and I am looking for a relocation consultant in maldives.
Brgds
Anamika

hello from Sri Lanka and just arrived for a few years ago.  Anyone expat here  fancy a coffee - lunch - dinner or beer chill n talk  let me know.

If you have ideas how we can entertain ourselves at weekend then ideas very welcome.

Thank u

Hi
Im Sanjeevani, hoping to move to Maldives in January as a teacher.
Can one of u explain me a little about life
there please
Thanks

It's depends on the island. Male' the capital is very congested and housing and living is very expressive. Other islands it's very simple, living cost is low and most of the people's are friendly.

Hi Sanjeevani,
Welcome, it's a nice place to live. Male is very dence and is known as concrete jungle. Hulhumale is better one moreover other islands too are very beautiful to stay. Don't worry you will surely find the place happening and tranquil.
Best of luct

Hi Sana,
Yes it's good opportunity and you would probably be able to save alot required you r given free accomodation. If yes you can be fine with spending not more then 100-150 usd per month. Accomodation is very expensive else things r fine. Fir a single person it's not an expensive country moreover natives of Maldives are very good and accepts expats.
Wish you all the best

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=880473

Thanks!

Closed