Help for moving in to Maldives

We were contemplating to move in to Maldives by September this year with 2 kids ( one in 9th std and the other in 2nd std). Pls help us with the following info.

1) Is there any Income tax in this country ? Or is there any minimum amount of money which need to be compulsarily spend locally ?

2) How is the schooling(English medium pref International school)- Admission times, good schools,. Is there any compulsion of local language ? How is the quality of education ?

3)My office is based in Male. We would prefer a 3 Bedroom fully furnished villa/apartment in/around Male. How is the availability and costing?

4)How is the expat life ? What are the available entertainments ?

Pls reply

Hi and welcome on board nishad!

I hope other members will help you with some advices soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hi Nishad,

just saw your posting, i am from the Maldives and glad to be helping you on your concerns.

1) Is there any Income tax in this country ? Or is there any minimum amount of money which need to be compulsarily spend locally ?
at the moment we do not have any income tax, but it will be implemented in the next few months or years.
and you are free to save all you earn, not compulsory to spend x amount locally.

2) How is the schooling(English medium pref International school)- Admission times, good schools,. Is there any compulsion of local language ? How is the quality of education ?
we do have a few international schools, namely bilabong international school is located in male it self.
quality of education is exceptional at these schools.
i am not too sure of the admission times, but it shoudnt be a worry for you as male is so small you can reach anyplace in 15mins even if you walk... by a taxi it will take about 5-10mins... best is to get a motobike, you can buy a good condition second hand bike for about $1200 which you can always sell when you are leaving the country. this will also save you a lot of money.

and its not compulsory to learn local language.

3)My office is based in Male. We would prefer a 3 Bedroom fully furnished villa/apartment in/around Male. How is the availability and costing?
this depends, a very good accomodation for a 3 bedroom fuly furnished apartment will go for $1500-$2500 if in male. i will recommend that you stay in male.

4)How is the expat life ? What are the available entertainments ?
not much entertainment is available, once you get in a circle of friends, you will adopt to the new ways of getting entertained. mostly groups they go for dinner or coffees...

hope this helps.