New members of the England forum, introduce yourselves here - 2019

Hi all,

Newbie on the England forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in England if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi,my name is Frank,thanks for the add,i have posted a question on Visitors Visa can someone please help me,thanks Frank.

Hi Frank, welcome to Expat.Com  :)

I have moved your query to the Manila forum : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=831883

It is more active and members there have probably been through the process, you will get more chances of somebody having the info.

All the best,
Bhavna

Hi,

It's Sana here, born in Pakistan and raised in England.
Love to travel around the world and read about the travel stories.

Hi, name is Kharol.
Planning to go for a short course in England. Looking foward to meeting new people

Hello my name is Kelsey :) I'll be moving to England next year to get married. Was looking to make some friends and chat, add me if you feel like it!

Hi Kelsey and welcome to the Forum.

You'll see a bit of a difference between California and Southampton, but I'm sure you'll have a great time here in the UK.

If you or your intended have any specific questions about living here, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Rose Shelley.  Moved to England last June.  Am a travelepreneur  which simply means an a entrepreneur in the travel space.  I am self employed and looking to start my business here in England.  Looking to connect with people that would like to make champagne trips on a beer budget,  or who would love to have meet and talk travel.

Hi All. Planning to move to the UK very soon. Looking for employment opportunities enabling me to immigrate. Hopefully somebody here could connect , chat and assist me with some tips and guidance on how to get employment quickly. Perhaps some tips on which agencies to use. I am a practising lawyer. Thank you

Cajar wrote:

Hi All. Planning to move to the UK very soon. Looking for employment opportunities enabling me to immigrate. Hopefully somebody here could connect , chat and assist me with some tips and guidance on how to get employment quickly. Perhaps some tips on which agencies to use. I am a practising lawyer. Thank you

Hi and welcome to the Forum.  This link may help you.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you. Appreciate your help.

hi, hope your move goes well.  I moved to England a year ago and work was not easy to find.  have you thought of going into business for yourself?  there are many opportunities that can give you flexibility and also generate a decent income.  let me know if you are interested in knowing more.

Hi Dear, I am Zeyad from Egypt, & I plan to study MSc in finance in Sep. semester of 2019 ^^
I'd like to build some friendships and get some answers about life & cost of living there.
Thanks

Hi Rose, yes sure I have thought about business. Please pass on that information. Would appreciate that. Thank you

Thanks Julian

Hi .I probably waited a bit long to join, as I've lived in england nearly twenty years now lol.  But hello again. lol. If I can help anyone with advice, great. x

danicali wrote:

Hi .I probably waited a bit long to join, as I've lived in england nearly twenty years now lol.  But hello again. lol. If I can help anyone with advice, great. x

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Thanks for your postings, all very relevant and informative.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello everybody, nice to be here , it's an honor and privilege to be here.
I am Moore, I am  working as a freelancer Architectural Engineer for the past years, I am just new here and don't really know how it's works.
Any help will be acceptable.

Hello Moore,

I don't think I can be of any help as I'm new here too, sorry, but I see you do freelance work. Do you mind me asking what was your visa process like? I'm in the midst of it and am a bit overwhelmed, any bit of information may help.

thank you and good day!
Sylvie

Hey I'm James(JD),

Pretty interested in living abroad for a time once I'm done getting my bachelors in a year or so.I'm awkward with these introductions but I've already started saving though it's not much yet.Anyways nice to meet everyone.

Hello! I'm Ami, born in Indonesia and grew up in Singapore. I moved to London about a few months ago for a job in banking. Would love to make friends so if anyone wants to hang out over coffee/explore the city or something hit me up! :)

Now may not be the best time to emigrate to the UK.  Given the results of the last week's  european elections (which includes the government's failure to allow european immigrants to enjoy their legal right to vote) plus the success of the Brexit (racist?) party - it may not be the easiest time.  Not simply because overt racists seem to be given carte blanche for rather nasty acts, but also because the ruling party (Conservative) now  seeking a new leader, is obliged to pander to the very right-wing.  That's not to say there aren't really lovely people who embrace any and everyone. 
It does suggest that "foreigners" might find rather more barriers to legal integration, than previously.  Of course one speaks in generalties.  Scotland is not England.  It's colder, but the people are warmer.  And, much as it pains me to say, one's skin colour makes a difference.  Not that much maybe, given that eastern europeans enjoy more than a fair share of discrimination. 
Yes it's a shame.  The UK, having exported their whites to all parts of the world, and having imported Indians to areas where they needed cheap labour (Fiji, Malaysia, Mauritius for example) there seems to be a resurgance in the UK of that ideal for using coloureds to do the shit jobs.  And the white, wrinkly in homes for the old still rely on the underpaid immigrants to wipe their asses. 
Yes of course, my own opinion is just mine.

Hi guys ,
I'm Doris , born in Hong Kong. Raised in Florida , ( and no I do not have a southern accent ;))
Have been living and traveled to many places , I have decided to see the ‘ old Hong Kong ‘ and learn the history of London !

I just moved here to London for 2 years , looking forward for any adventures here !

Cheers ,
Doris

Thank you for adding me. I'm Marci from the Bahamas. Considering  working in London. I'm a clinical nurse of 21 years and I'm presently working with TB control. I'm in London for two more days. Could have used some links. Any hospital suggestions?

Sybo wrote:

Thank you for adding me. I'm Marci from the Bahamas. Considering  working in London. I'm a clinical nurse of 21 years and I'm presently working with TB control. I'm in London for two more days. Could have used some links. Any hospital suggestions?

You will need to have your nursing qualifications validated; this link will take you through the process.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you! When I get back in the Bahamas  I will submit them.

Hi I live in London I am British i was born in London. I am looking for advice getting married in Morocco to a Moroccan woman. I have read up as much as I can find online but if anyone can help me with updated advice or a good well connected person in Rabat that would be great.
I must add I am Muslim.

I am new in this forum.  I moved here 2002 from Kenya. I have lived and worked as a nurse in many cities. I retired few years ago. I feel it is now time to go back to Kenya. I would like to start a charity work in Malindi which is in the coast. I would like to visit the villages and help with various needs in the community. I do not know how I will raise money for this work.

maituwakws wrote:

I am new in this forum.  I moved here 2002 from Kenya. I have lived and worked as a nurse in many cities. I retired few years ago. I feel it is now time to go back to Kenya. I would like to start a charity work in Malindi which is in the coast. I would like to visit the villages and help with various needs in the community. I do not know how I will raise money for this work.

Let me be the first to welcome you and thank you for joining the Expat.com maituwakws

You have a few options, starting a Crowdfund or something similar, getting involved with a charity may be a local church. All the best of luck.

SimCityAT
Expat Ream

Thank you for warm welcome. Thanks too for your information.

Hi again and welcome to the Forum.

I've heard about an organisation called "The Giving Machine"; I have no idea if it is good, bad or indifferent and as with all things on the Internet, be very careful here.  I do know that Amazon is part of it, which does give me some reassurance.

This link will take you to their website.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi everyone! Me and my fiancee are moving to England, Leeds this October. We'd love to hear more about the experience from other expats. What was the moving process like? How did you find a job and a place to rent? Furthermore just looking to make new friends!!

Mar13k3 wrote:

Hi everyone! Me and my fiancee are moving to England, Leeds this October. We'd love to hear more about the experience from other expats. What was the moving process like? How did you find a job and a place to rent? Furthermore just looking to make new friends!!

Hoi, en hartelijk welkom vanuit Leeds.

(I'll switch to English now - Forum rules).  We live on the outskirts of Leeds, been here for over 20 years now.  I'm a Brit, my wife is Dutch (from Enschede).  When we moved here from Holland, we got the removal company in (my new boss paid for it), they packed everything and loaded it on their truck and it turned up at our new house 2 days later.  When I unpacked it, we noticed that they had also loaded our Dutch vuilniston from Gemeente Enschede which was a bit of a pain to get back.

I had a job to go to; my wife was a ziekenverzorgster in Holland and decided to try something else when she got here (truth is, she took one look at the English hospitals and decided that perhaps nursing in the UK wasn't for her).  That said, after a couple of years she got a job as a practice nurse at our local doctors and has worked for the NHS here ever since.

Getting work very much depends on what you're looking for, what qualifications you have and where you want to work; it isn't hard to find a job here.  Housing is not so easy; rental accommodation is always in short supply everywhere; I always advise people that if they have no friends or family to go to, then to try out AirBnb for a couple of weeks while you search for something permanent; there's a company called Rightmove who are pretty reputable; this link will take you to their website where I created a search for around where we live.

We've almost come to the end of our time in the UK; I'm now retired and my wife's NHS pension pays out in 18 months, then we'll be going back to Enschede; our eldest daughter has already moved back to Almelo and our twins will stay in Yorkshire with their own families.  The message there is that the UK is OK, but we prefer Holland and have always said that our coming here was never forever.

Anyway; if you have any specific questions, please come back and ask.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi friends! New to the forum. I'm an American girl with an English boyfriend and we're ready to get married and grow our family. Just sorting through everything and trying to figure out how we can make this work!

Hi everyone

My name is Yahya Qureshi. I am in Travel agents business since 8 years. I am British citizen. Born in Pakistan. My third home is Morocoo as I am Married here. I am 51 years old. I am exploring Morocco for business purposes.

Hi i m Aeshah
I wanted to ask about how can an Indonesian national move in the uk to work.what type of visa does he need and has anyone gone through the process? There is no job offer here in the uk for him but he would like to enter to find a job

Ash8989 wrote:

Hi i m Aeshah
I wanted to ask about how can an Indonesian national move in the uk to work.what type of visa does he need and has anyone gone through the process? There is no job offer here in the uk for him but he would like to enter to find a job

In the circumstances as you describe them; he will need a UK work visa; at the top of the England Forum is a post called "NON EU CITIZENS APPLYING FOR A UK WORK VISA"; I suggest you read that and check out the link it provides.

My own opinion is that he will not be issued with a visa to come here and look for work.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi All,

Recently joined and looking forward to meeting some of you soon!

Moved here 5 years ago and would be good to meet more people to hang out with. Am opened to new interests and hobbies.

Is there a meet up event coming up ?.

Have a lovely day all.

Best regards

Natalie

Usually the employer apply for a working visa for and on behalf of the candidate!

Welcome dear :) I'd like to meet you when I come to the UK next Jan.
Have a sweet day

Closed