Moving from America with dogs...any advice is helpful

Hello all,
I have checked past post with little luck so here goes...

My wife and I are moving to Dar es Salaam in July. We are bringing our 2 medium size dogs. I have checked into companies that will transport our dogs for us. So I have 2 questions:

Has anyone ever used such a company and did you have good luck?

has anyone ever transported their dogs themselves? my concern is the layover and my dogs being able to get out and pee etc after being in the air for 8- 10 hours.

any thoughts would be appreciated

David

Hi David

We travelled from South Africa with our boy and used a company as well - and all was fine.  Just be aware that apparently any live animal in transit when the planes do a touch down - in other words not a direct flight the animal has to be off loaded and allowed a comfort break for a minimum of 6 hours before loading again for next destination - the transport company we used arranged all of this with their kennels in the stop over town - in our case JHB.

They were not cheap....3 x the price of my husband and my ticket....but relatively hassle free

On a arrival in Dar - insist that the travel company moving your pets gives you the clearing Agents contact number and name - and his managers - they tried to delay releasing our boy in Dar for extra money and I eventually just walked / stormed past them and made as if to release my boy from his crate- as by then he had hear our voices and was in a state....his crate was clean but emotionally he was a bit broken.

Also our Vet in SA refused to sedate as again apparently by law it is not allowed or recommended as the animals need to be able to balance and sedation can cause slow reflexes.

We have opted to drive home so he doesn't have to fly again - and it just suits us better

He is micro-chipped always a good idea and proberaly required from USA as well.  There is a pet store in Dar - Petsville and they are very user friendly - order via whatsapp - and ready for you when you get there....only thing limited brands of dog food - they do tropidog - but do have a website so have a look

There are decent Vets in Dar - we use Arusha as it is a bit easier for us distance wise

But if you have a puppy with a skin condition or allergies bring what ever you can with you - I decanted special skin shampoo / soap into bottles and am only finishing them up 2 years later - meds as well bring what you can but obviously check expiry and if you are back and forth no hassle - we were pretty much stuck here

Hope this helped

All the very best - I know some really great people in Dar - just a heads up the traffic is very Africa and awful