Owning A Boat While Living In Malaysia

Hi All,

Since I will need to do something to occupy my leisure time when I retire over there, I am thinking about learning how to sail and/or just picking up a motor boat.  Nothing too fancy like a yacht but a decent sized motor boat that I can possibly use for fishing or just cruising around the area.    I am planning on purchasing a home that is either near or on the water, so hopefully a place to store or a slip will be available too to dock the boat nearby.  Any licensing or registration needed?  Any and all advice would be appreciated, especially from current or prior boat owners.

Thanks in advance!!!

Penang. Currently no properties have the sort of access to the sea you describe. You need to get a Masters licence to operate a motorised boat. Only public marina is at Straits Quay and moorings are very expensive e. g. Price of monthly condo rental. There may be some moorings beyond Batu Ferringe at Teluk Bahang which is a fishing port. If you join Penang Swimming Club they have a Sailing section. If you look at Google Earth you may understand Penang better. There are some properties still being developed at The Light (close to 1st bridge) which I think will have a mooring. There is a boat broker at Straits Quay.

Thanks Gravitas!!!!  Man, you know a LOT about Malaysia!!!!

I've lived here 8 1/2 years both in KL and Penang Island

https://penangswimmingclub.comhttps://www.penang-traveltips.com/the-l … rfront.htm

Aaah, ok.  You've been around the block some.....

So tell me Gravitas, have you seen the country of Malaysia improve significantly or minimally in the areas of relations between the various different peoples/cultures in that 8+ years?  Let's be honest, I can afford to retire in San Francisco if I really want to but because my wife's family is there in Malaysia I wouldn't mind spending some significant time there each year.  Frankly, a lot of people here are telling me not to move there, but I like to make my own decisions and do something a tad outside my normal, comfort zone.  Nothing wrong with retiring and living in a cheaper area when you can, especially if the area is interesting and safe.  I do want to stay away (not sure if I can) from areas that are putting up condo towers by the minute to the point that one day soon they will just be another Hong Kong or a San Francisco.  Hence, my desire to be reasonably close to Johor Bahru which is where my inlaw parents are but on the coast or in some quiet beach town with no towers of 5+ floors. 

When we finally do come and visit Penang, I would love to meet up with you and have a beer or lunch to chat.

Thanks again!

A lot depends where you live. Penang is majority Chinese and has high standards also at civil society level. It's not very Islamic and certainly relaxed. It still has a dusting of colonial times and English is almost first language. All the retirement guides rank penang highly. But it depends on your character too. Johor would not appeal to me and I often hear of people upping sticks from there after a while. But Puteri Harbour is a bit of a game changer. However much more to do and largish expat community means easy integration. There are lots of returning Malaysians with foreign Spouses.

Ok, now we are getting somewhere.  So, what are the issues that prompted people to move from Johor and what specifically about that area does not appeal to you?  Too Asiany if that is possible for an Asian country?  Hey, don't hold back, I can take it and frankly what doesn't appeal to you I may find quite acceptable.  Without being there, I am sure I would love Penang since I am hearing about it being a foodie center (like San Francisco).  I hope to def check out Puteri Harbour, as well as, Melaka area.

Hi VWC,

Thats cool that you are looking to move to Malaysia and learn to sail... I'm looking to do that same.  Spent many years working in SV and last few in Asia (Indonesia and SG)   I have visited Penang and KL but not Johor (its popular with people working in Sg as its close and cheaper place to live).   I applied for a MM2H visa so have been waiting on that for approval.   My experience with Penang is that's its a very modern and laid back city, great food and accommodation is quite reasonable vs US.  The medical care there is also apparently top notch (though I can't say from first hand experience).  People are quite friendly in Malaysia and most speak English (I haven't had the chance to learn Bahasa yet).  There is a sailing school in Langkawi (I have not been there yet but have heard good things) which is fairly close.  Penang has alot of Chinese influences vs other muslim countries like Indonesia ... both cultures are pretty open and friendly... hence my desire to retire there (lots of expats from many countries there).   I did check out the Straits Quay area when I was there ... nice complexes there reasonably priced.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve!  Thanks for chiming in with some personal experience.  Let's be honest, my wife will have a difficult time defending retiring so much farther away in San Francisco (which we both do love) vs Penang which is obviously that much closer to her family.  I just Googled it, Penang to Johor Bahru is 360 miles.  That, is not bad and frankly, close enough.... (oops, did I say that?)

My sister lives in SF with her family as well... its a great city (I lived in SF when first moved to California) but settled down in San Jose.   SV is a bit unique in the world for startup culture ... (I did startups pretty well my whole working life).  One nice thing about Asia in general is great beaches and warm water... good place to scuba dive if you are into that. Not sure where you are originally from but Penang is a nice safe place to settle down with reasonable prices for things.

Steve

I am the rare of the rare.... a true blue San Francisco native.  I grew up in Chinatown and to this day love the vibe (despite more non Chinese moving into the area) of a Chinese historic neighborhood.  That is why I am pretty sure I would love it back there in Malaysia.  I tend to be a night owl so the idea of night markets and eating late sound wonderful to me.  San Francisco is great and while is considered a great foodie town it pretty much shuts down after 10pm in most areas.  Sometimes, you just want a fine meal at 2am.....

Cool... btw: Facebook is good for info and asking questions... Specifically the Expats in Penang group.  Worth a look.   I going to head back to Malaysia in not too long... want to check out more areas there to see if there are alternatives to Penang... were you going to apply for a MM2H visa?

Yes, compiling all of the needed documentation for Alter Domus right now for the MM2H visa. Wife and I both work, so hard to find time to go and get the Police clearance letter and/or the passport sized photos. 

It just seems that all of the coastal areas are springing up with high rise condo structures that soon every place will be Hong Kong -ish  which I don't particularly care for.