Writing Groups

Greetings all,

I was wondering if anyone is knows about any writing groups, workshops, readings, etc. going on in Saigon?

Hello, I am also interested in finding these things. I attended a writer's group about two years ago when I last lived in Saigon, I can search thru my emails if you want. Have you found anything going on?

I haven't. You're the first person to respond to my message, actually. Yeah, if you have any suggestions, that would be amazing. Thanks.

Also, if we're in Saigon at the same time perhaps we can start a group if one doesn't exist. What kind of writing do you do?

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. I used to write poetry but haven't for a long time. I have the structure and basic ideas and a lot of notes for a novel but I'm having trouble getting it off the ground. A writing group and like minded people could help. I'll look for that contact in my emails and get back to you. What about you?

I write short stories and poetry. I'm trying to be more disciplined about it. I find that being around other writers motivates me. I'll be moving to Saigon in July, and I want to connect with other aspiring or established writers and get something going. Do you live in Saigon, now?

Yes I live in Saigon now. I emailed the writer's group contact I know from last time . I should be here in July. You planning on teaching English here?

Apologies for the tardy response. Yes, that's the plan to teach English. My wife and I currently live and work in the UAE as teachers. I'll friend you on Facebook.

Y'all! Did this work out? I'm moving to HCMC in a couple of months to teach and am looking for a weekly group to workshop ideas with. Always find it's super helpful and inspiring to share/help others with their work.

Shame explained that there is a writing group, but they like to keep it small. Apparently, they are full at the moment. My wife and I are coming down in July. We are teachers. If your down maybe we can start our own group. I totally agree with you about the importance of writing community. Are you on Facebook. Let's link up.

Oops, sorry autocorrect. I meant Shane. Lol sorry about that, Shane.

No, I was inquiring about writing groups. Are you in Saigon, now? If you're interested maybe we can start one.

Lol, no worries. My name is uncomfortably close to shame. They keep the writing group small but the first ...seven people..... I think.... to submit work to the coordinator John get to go so it varies. It wouldn't be a bad idea to set up a new one tho. Now we are three. Three is technically a group right? I'm sure if we were to commit to regular meetups in the same place at the same time on the same day every week no matter what - it would work, and it would naturally attract others.

Hey Shane,

I'm totally with that! I say let's start a writing group!

Hello,  John Helden's group is still going. About ten years old now. At the moment we have 3 members. We meet once a month in Saigon on a Saturday afternoon in a cafe in District 1. If anyone is interested send me a message.   

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : Kindly exchange contact details via private messaging please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi, I'm interested in the writing group. How do we exchange info? Where exactly do you meet?

Oshun123 wrote:

Hi, I'm interested in the writing group. How do we exchange info? Where exactly do you meet?

You can send a private message to the poster for the information.  All personal contact details should be shared that way also.

Hi  Thanks for replying. If you send a message to my email account,

I will answer any questions you have.

John

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : Kindly exchange contact details via private messaging please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

It seems there is some problem with me giving you my email details. If you look for Saigon Writers Circle on Facebook you can also contact me there.

Jokerman wrote:

It seems there is some problem with me giving you my email details. If you look for Saigon Writers Circle on Facebook you can also contact me there.

Personal information cant be given on the forum. Just write a message to the person you want to contact.

[Post under review]

Hi  Thanks for your interest. Basically, we critique each others writing. By writing I mean fiction, any genre.

Jokerman wrote:

Hi  Thanks for your interest. Basically, we critique each others writing. By writing I mean fiction, any genre.

He isn't interested, he is a troll that continues to return just to annoy people.

colinoscapee wrote:
Jokerman wrote:

He isn't interested, he is a troll that continues to return just to annoy people.

Ironically, he (jj) is probably trolling for replies to use in a book he's writing... 😉

Wow.   What sad little lives some people lead.

Jokerman wrote:

Wow.   What sad little lives some people lead.

Exactly!
Yet, he makes out he is so intelligent and worldly in his rants,but in fact is a lonely little twat that has no life.

He will be back, he always returns.