Pre-retirement Exploration - San Juan, 1/26 to 2/9

Hello everyone!

We are Steve & Kenny. We've been to Puerto Rico several times, both before and after Celebrity cruises. We have driven down to Ponce and explored a bit including trips to El Yunque National Forest. We love the Caribbean and have grown fond of Puerto Rico. This is where we plan to retire.

Our "mission" for the next few weeks is to get to know the island and people. We've rented an apartment near La Placita de Santurce in San San Juan and will have a car. We'll be exploring cities and towns, beaches and breweries, museums, culture, nature. Although we are scouting well in advance, our goal is to retire to the island no later than 2026 and to purchase a home sooner, perhaps within 3 or 4 years. As such we intend to begin spending more time In Puerto Rico.

As a Navy retiree, "adventuring" and exploring is in my blood. We're not afraid to get off the beaten path and go local. Although two weeks is not much time, we'd like to explore places other expats are happily settled, see the neighborhoods, shop and eat with locals and other current expats.

Although we have a robust list of sites and things to do as we explore, we are wide-open to suggestions and input. We are quite excited to make this start in advance of getting away from the icy grip of winter in Minnesota!

Steve and Kenny

@stevenkenney First, thank you for your service!

I'm also new to this site and am excited to learn from the others here who are at different stages in their journey.

I plan to continue to work when we relocate and if we do choose PR, I'd like to move as soon as we can due to the tax advantages.

Hi Steve and Kenny! I'm still on the mainland for now, but recently purchased a fixer upper in Luquillo. The town is small and slow paced, but a short drive to Fajardo which has everything. It's also only 45 minutes to the San Juan airport. It has a beach with bigger waves where surf lessons are given and one big sandy beach around the other side of the point with very mellow waves - great for swimming! It has a ton of wonderful eateries - "los kioskos" all lined up that back up to the ocean. It's also close to Las Paylas (natural waterslide) and an easy drive to El Yunque. I would certainly put on your list to at least check out.

Hi Steve & Kenny!
We are new to the site as well. My family and I recently purchased our retirement home in Puerto Rico with the hopes of making the move in about 5years. After a long search and traveling back and forth for some while, we fell in love with Boqueron, Cabo Rojo. It's a laid back community with the most beautiful beaches we have seen. We met and spoke to locals including middle schoolers since our son is in middle school and all comments were positive. That confirmed to us that this was the place! From our new house we can walk to beach and walk to el Poblado de Boqueron which is kind of like a downtown with restaurants, bars, beach. Its a new construction home in a gated community.

If you want more info on our purchasing processes feel free to reach out.