Englishman hoping to relocate to New Zealand

Hi all.

Firstly, what a great and informative community you guys have here.

I am hoping to pick the brains of someone who has applied for a skilled migrant visa from back in their country of origin.

I am a 30 year old married Arborist/Tree surgeon with our first baby on the way. I have been an Arborist for around 6-7 years now with 2 full years working as an Arborist in New Zealand. I have qualifications that would amount to around a level 5 diploma here. I am also looking to work outside of Auckland. A company has already said they are happy to offer me work anywhere they have an office in New Zealand.

I am hoping to apply for a skilled migrant visa and based on my points system calculator I have scored 190 points. Does anyone know if it would be possible for me to gain permanent residency prior to arrival in NEW Zealand? With our first child on the way it would mean we couldn't move for around 2 years.

Thanks in advance and I hope someone out there can help or offer some advice.

Cheers

Max

Yes you can. Submit your EOI with all the necessary details and go from there. We're English too but applied from inside NZ. Why do you want to wait 2 years before you move? Immigration rules change very often. If you have the points now, then go for it

Hi Idoma,

Thanks so much for the reply.

We have a baby on the way due in 4 months and we think it's best to wait until he's around 2 years old.

Could I still apply?
Thanks again for your help.

Max

Yes you can apply and move with the baby. Friends of ours applied when pregnant and got here about 6 weeks before baby was due. Her mum travelled with them to help with the transition.

You can still apply and get the visa. You have 12 months to activate the visa though so if you apply now  - using current processing times, baby may or may not be up to 2 years old.

Great stuff and that is good to know.

Is the visa only activated when you arrive in NZ ?

I really appreciate the info and advice !

Also.. How long would we have to be in NZ before applicants are granted residency? I've read 1 year and also 2 years..

Thanks again

Yes  it's only activated once you come in. It will have travel restrictions for 2 years - ours does. Which are lifted when you get permanent residency

2 years. The 1 year one is a different category of  visa

Hi we moved here from uk when baby was 2 months , it's a good time to bring them as he slept most of the way . I work for Unison in Hawkes Bay as a line mechanic and got a work to residence visa . I know that Unison are also looking for aborists too and will help in relocating you too . Hawkes Bay is a beautiful part of New Zealand . If you need more info email me [link moderated] and I  can help you in the process . Best thing about it they'll train you up to a line mechanic if you wanted to . Look up Napier and Hastings .

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct