Recognize Brazilian Marriage in USA

Hi there!

I'm a US citizen who got married while in Brazil to a Brazilian citizen. My wife and I are wondering where we can learn more about the process of getting our marriage recognized in the United States to make travel easier and extended living possible. We aren't sure about what documents we need and how they should be citified here in Brazil before we fly them to the US on our next trip.

Thanks :)

I found the following information on the internet, but you should always verify it with the proper authorities instead of relying on regular people to advise you. You may want to call the U.S. Consulate in Sao Paulo and/or consult an immigration lawyer.
There are forms that you, as the American citizen, and she as your wife will require to be completed, approved, and sent to the U.S. Consulate for visa application. She may not just come to the U.S. after you marry to request a visitor status with the intent to reside permanently in the U.S. If the marriage performed in Brazil is legal according to Brazilian law and you are both single and eligible to be married, then it will be recognized as legal in the U.S., to include for immigration purposes.

Okay then! We will contact the U.S. Consulate in Sao Paulo to see if they can fill us in on exactly what we will need to get this process started.

Thanks for the reply!

Your wife has several options.

B2 Visitor Visa as Brazil is not part of ESTA/VWP
Green Card based on marriage with US citizen
There are options via employer, investment, ...
Pull up It is an official site and will walk you through every visa option forms to fees.
Have you kept up with your US income tax filings? You will need them should she decide to the Green Card route.

New topic