Wishing to relocate from Ontario to Corozal

Hello All,

Happy, health and peaceful New 2019 Year to All !!!

I'm 65 years young woman, recently retired, divorced and empty nested, looking for a nice, warm and sunny place to live. Canadian winter is not my favourite season at all.
At this point in my life nothing keeps me here, my adults kids live in Europe with their own families and good jobs. Now the time has come for me to move as well. People can visit, right?

Corozal seems to be the most proper place for my budget and for the fact it is less touristy so more tranquil and quiet. English language is a factor as well.  I would like to live in a gated condo community with a close proximity to ocean and amenities, and where neighbours could become a second family.

The problem is I don't know anybody there so I really need your, expats, help. If anybody knows an honest immigration agent who could navigate me through the entire process of getting permanent visa and help me to relocate to Corozal according to Belize law, I would be immensely grateful.

Currently I'm planning to rent an inexpensive,  small, furnished  apartment, come for a month or two and explore possibilities. Where to look for such rentals?  Do you know any?  What is the best time to come? What is the best place?

I know, too many questions....I apologize, but if you can help or give me any valuable advice please do so. I would really appreciate that.

Thank you very much,

Barbara

Hello Barbara,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

You can have a look at the listing of flats for rent in Belize in the Housing section as well as post a free advert of your own to look for a place to live.

All the best  ;)

Diksha

Team Expat.com

Sounds similar to my situation.i have a few years left.wouldnt it be fun to find a large home and rent to a bunch of women with similar mindset.a safe "golden girls"house.good luck in your venture.its tough being alone,knowing where you need to be,but not sure how to make that happen.btw,i was born in buffalo new york so i understand the bitter cold winters.

As far as short term rentals, like a month or so, I would start with  VRBO, Booking.com, etc. Facebook also seems to be a good option for this. Others that live in the area may have some specific suggestions as well. The local newspapers are available online, but I don't know if that would be helpful. You would have more luck finding long term rentals once you are here.
The best time to come is anytime you can arrange it.
The best place depends on your specific wants or needs.
Good luck in your venture.

Hi,
I am here in Belize for almost ten years. I think I know the ropes.

Several months is not long enough to learn this culture and get an accurate picture of the place.
Try a year! A year will give you a basic idea of what this place is about.

A pirate culture doesn't just develop overnight, but it's what this country is based on. Learn that culture and you can live in relative peace and harmony here. Otherwise it can be hell.

!: Learn them and stand up for your rights!
2:These people steal. Protect yourself at all times.
3: Be prepared to give a bribe to pacify an official. They are dumb until the weight of dollar bills forces their hand down.
4: Never give anyone money who's standing at your gate. End of Story!!!!!!
5: Don't expect their laws to make sense. Idiots created them!

I do well here. It's a cheap place to live. For the most part, it's safe. Much safer than many other parts of the world.

Hope this info helps you in some small way.

Stay Safe and have a good journey.

Stan Allen

I lived in Corozal for a couple of years before relocating to Merida Mex. What  Stan says is correct but my issue with Belize was a relative lack of beyond first aid health care, and that the cost of living is 30% more than where I am now. Plus there are more amenities and decent infrastructure. Its also cleaner. Belizeans are litterbugs with makeshift landills

Well hello again Susan. You know in some strange way I find your imaginative persistent  promotion of your new residence country by trashing the country you fled, interesting. But  I can't help but wonder the real motavtation  behind choosing this venue to vent your feelings against Belize. 😉

I think most would agree no one place is perfect for everyone. Things that are fine for some, are disliked by others.

Good points.
I do visit Belize now and then to visit  friends as its just a few hours down the coastal highway. The best part of these excursions is knowing I can leave. The problem with you Belizers is that you dont dispute the facts and observations because you cant, so you just take shots at the observers.
But I do like one thing. I can get Hellmans mayo without lime.

We are in the same situation, looking to retire in Belize 65 years old, don't know anyone. Interesting to read  replies.

beverly1 wrote:

We are in the same situation, looking to retire in Belize 65 years old, don't know anyone. Interesting to read  replies.

Hi Beverly, you both are in luck.  These and many other questions have been answered over and over again by folks in this very forum. Simply use the search feature (little magnifying glass) near the top of the page.

Also if folks would read the "Code Of Conduct" post, (second one down from the top of front forum page), they would see suggestion on how to get more from this forum.

In my opinion "Code Of Conduct" is probably  a poor choice of name for such a valuable informative section.   :)

I agree with a lot of Stan's   comments except in 30 years have never offered or been asked for a bribe by any official in Belize, maybe I am just lucky or maybe Some are too quick to assume the need to go that route.

what does VBRO stand for.. I am looking for long term rentals and this one on one of the posts

The bribe to which I was referring occurred when I purchased another vehicle. I 'hired an expediter'. He guided me through the process even to the point pointing out at which desk I should sit. He casually walked around behind the officer. I was asked where I lived and then was told he couldn't help me. I needed to go elsewhere. My man slapped him hard enough to bounce his head off his shoulder. I wasn't asked another question for the rest of the process. It was worth every penny I paid to witness that event.

Why did you need an "expediter" to buy a vehicle? In the last 5 years as a family we have purchased 3 vehicles in Belize, just been a case of visiting the DMV with the seller and getting a new tittle in the name of the new buyer.  In one case we had an extra form to fill in as it was previously registered in a different district, but really nothing needed to be explained or guided through.
If you employ an expeditor it tells folks   " I have so much money  I am willing to pay for someone else to make my  life easier."

@jmjohnston88
Vacation Rental By Owner - VRBO