Looking to retire in Chiang Mai

My wife and I are planning to retire in Chiang Mai in March ~ April.  We are in our 60's.  Would you please review the following budget and advise us if the costs we have listed are reasonable?

RETIREMENT - ESTIMATED MONTHLY BUDGET (Living in Moo Baan)           
CHIANG MAI           
19-Dec-18           
    Bhat       

Rent    20000       
Cell Phones (two)    1400       
Vehicle Insurance    1400       
Vehicle Maintenance    1000       
Home Maintenance    2500       
Medical / Medicines    6500       
Petrol    2400       
Vehicle Taxes    650       
Food    17500       
Electricity, heating, cooling, water, garbage, etc)    4600       
Internet / Cable TV    850       
Pet Needs / Veterinary / Food    2500       
Entertainment    3500       
Miscellaneous    5000

Over excessive!

$2000 USD every month!

Health insurance?

Well, you will certainly be living well with that kind of a budget in Chiang Mai!

If you don't have a realtor yet, shoot me a message and I introduce you to a guy here that's taken GREAT care of me.

You'll love it here!

Steve Sarich

with this amount, a couple can live almost everywhere

Johnmell you asked about health insurance.  I am 68 yrs old and I've heard health insurance for the elderly is prohibitive.  I would like to purchase health insurance for my wife and me.  We will be able to put a little cash back for medical emergencies, but not all that much. 

Can anyone give me advise on health insurance for persons my age???

We have a realtor lined up to show us some rental homes on Friday 1st February.  ChiangMaiBuddy set this up.  Do you have other suggestions?

Any suggestions on which items to reduce?  I'd like for the budget to be relatively accurate so I can include health insurance premiums. 

We are considering purchasing a vehicle for near & far transportation, so I need to include funds to cover petrol, insurance, etc.

Yes....absolutely.  Talk to Leo at Chiang Mai House.  Highly recommended!  They went over and above expectations!

Will do - thanks Steve!

Steve:

Is there a restaurant / coffee shop / pub frequented by American Expats where I might be able to find someone for a general Q&A about how to go about retiring in Thailand, such as visas, banking, purchasing a vehicle, health insurance, vehicle insurance, etc?  We (wife & I) have just basic questions. 

Best Regards,

Richard Morrow

Steve - I've sent an email to Leo at Chiang Mai House.  Thanks for the lead.

Richard

There is a Chiang Mai expats club who have regular meetings. Just Google
'Chiang Mai Expats Club'.

Hi there,
Are you guys here in Ching Mai ? I have a house to rent, 2-storey house, 3 beds, 2 bathrooms, fully furnished.  it's $550/month. If you are interested, please let me know. Thank you !

We will be relocating to Chiang Mai in mid to late June.  What is the address for the home so we can locate it on Google Earth?

You will Love, Smoge, Traffic and excessive sweating.

If you do not want to be stuck in CM, Do not rent anything long term

CM is much pollution and the traffic is very jam. My UK husband and I live in Surin city which cost of living lower than CM, quiet city. We have many houses here for rent, have many foreigners living here too. If you would like to take a look , we 're very welcome.

We plan to begin our retirement in CM.  After spending some time there we may move to another city in Thailand.

We plan to lease / rent a place in Chiang Mai beginning mid May 2019.  ***

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the housing section.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the housing section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

My house is located in Land and House Park , Sansai Chiang Mai. Please give me your email so that I will send you more info. Thank you!