How Much to Live Good Life in Thailand?

Just to get other people's perspective, I read a recent post that stated the following: "The great part is you don't really need much to live a quality life in Thailand. About $1,000 USD per month, you'll be able to live a basic but quality and comfortable life".

I don't know about everyone else, but I can easily spend over $1,000 per month on just eating out, going to the movies and buying groceries. And, that doesn't include the rent & utilities, TruVision, AIS, other household expenses, beer money, visa renewals, taxi money, massages, haircuts, medical expenses, shopping money, in-country trips and out-of-country trips. I don't mean to offend anyone and I apologize ahead of time if I do, but for me, trying to live on $1,000 per month would be just surviving and not what I would call living a quality and comfortable life as suggested in the recent post. I know many people here probably live on this amount of money and it would be interesting to hear about what life is like living on that kind of income.

Please kindly share your experience and opinions so other expats looking to move here will have an idea of what they can and cannot expect life to be like on different monthly incomes. I would like for others looking to move here and myself included to understand how much it takes to live varying lifestyles in Thailand.

Thanks, kindly...

You live the high life, Zeus.  And perhaps in an expensive place, I've no idea.

Yes, an expat can live on USD1K a month, in smaller towns and cities and still have a fairly decent quality of life. 

If that weren't the case, every TEFLer in the country would be on the street as most salaries are there are just slightly above.

Maybe first found out, What is " A Good Live",  I am pretty sure there is a lot of different view of it !!!!

As i write before wife and me use around 500.000 baht pr year. Around 16.000 $ pr year or 1.300 $ pr month. And i do think we have a Great live together.

We can easy cut down (if need to) 10.000 baht pr month. That 320 $, So yes, 2 people can live for 1.000 $ and live the good live, In my opinion.

And if i was single, Even more can be cut pr month.

We have use around the same numbers pr month over the years in Bangkok, Nonthaburi and now Bang Saen, So i think can be done many place in Thailand.

Kindly.

When I wrote the post, I should have been more specific. I was thinking about an American retiree who recently posted about wanting to come to Thailand because he was under the impression he could live a better life on $1,000 per month Social Security income. First, he wouldn't qualify for an O-A retirement visa because he would need a minimum 65,000 THB per month pensionable income or 800k in bank to qualify and $1,000 USD is only 31,000 THB. Second, if his thinking is it's cheaper in Thailand, then I respectfully disagree. Groceries here in the supermarket are the same or more expensive than in US. Just one example, a gallon of milk in US is $3.50 per gallon, here 45 THB per 830 ml or $6.63 per gallon. Gas is $3.50 per gallon in US, here  35 THB per liter or $4,37 per gallon. And, I've compared all other food prices and they come out about the same, except that good beef here is more expensive than in US. The only thing I see that may be a cost savings is the housing. But, the downside is you do not have a safety net here. In the US, someone on $1,000 SS will qualify for free medical coverage, housing allowances, food subsidies, utilities subsidies, additional SS income for spouse, additional SS income for children under age 18 and free grants for children to go to University. And, as for housing, there are small towns in the US where the rent is just as inexpensive as Thailand at about $300 - $400 per month. So, instead of living in small town Thailand, you could live in small town USA for about the same.

So, if you truly want to come to Thailand to enjoy the culture, the life and the adventure, then by all means come if you can meet the minimum income requirements for Immigration. But, if you are coming here thinking that you will improve your standard of living over the US, you're not thinking correctly. You will still have to pay all the same expenses here to live just as in US. And, no one is going to give you anything for free here.

I am with Zeus on this one.  To start with you are trying to circumvent Thai laws on immigration by not having adequate funds to qualify for a retirement visa.  That leaves one vulnerable on many fronts and leads many to try their hand at flying from a balcony in a fit of depression.

For some reason slums in Thailand seem preferable to slums back home.  People will live in peasant shacks upcountry or shoebox apartments near the red light district and say how great it is here in Thailand.  Except for the availability of  “companionship” with someone half your age, I really don't see the advantage. :kiss:

I am just guessing here but there is the possibility that individuals who lived from paycheck to paycheck with no plan for the future, and thought that retirement would somehow take care of itself, are not going to take advice at this stage of their lives and must be allowed to learn things the hard way.

Personally I have lived on much less than $1000 but I was very young and things were much cheaper forty years ago.  Now, I wake up on the first day of the month and my fixed overhead eats up that amount before I draw my first breath.  There is no way I am going to hold my breath for the rest of the month. ;)

Dear Mr. Never done that & MisterStretch,

Never done that wrote:

Maybe first found out, What is " A Good Live",  I am pretty sure there is a lot of different view of it !!!!
As i write before wife and me use around 500.000 baht pr year. Around 16.000 $ pr year or 1.300 $ pr month. And i do think we have a Great live together.
We can easy cut down (if need to) 10.000 baht pr month. That 320 $, So yes, 2 people can live for 1.000 $ and live the good live, In my opinion.
And if i was single, Even more can be cut pr month.
We have use around the same numbers pr month over the years in Bangkok, Nonthaburi and now Bang Saen, So i think can be done many place in Thailand.
Kindly.

I'm trying to understand how people can live comfortably on $1,000 USD/mth = 31,000 THB/mth, but no one has explained how it can be done. Everyone is just stating it can be done. Would you be so kind as to better explain how you can live on 10,000 THB/mth as you stated above or how a person can live on $1,000 USD = 31,000 THB/mth? Do you pay for TruVision, AIS, electric, water, internet, visa renewals, rent or housing, vehicles, gas, car insurance, medical insurance, house insurance, etc.?

My grocery bill alone is about $75/wk or 9,000 THB/mth (I eat western food, my wife eats Thai food), TruVision is $1,000 - $1,500/mth depending on our plan, AIS for 2 phones is 600 THB/mth, electric bill is 3000 THB/mth (I don't skimp on the a/c), water is 500 THB/mth, we have free internet, 2BR high-rise condo in Phrom Phong is 30k THB/mth (we don't pay any house insurance since we are renting) and my US Aetna medical coverage is $293 USD/mth. These are just some of our expenses.. and as you can see it adds up pretty quickly... and doesn't include the cost of owning a vehicle; purchase price, maintenance, gas & insurance... and doesn't include other expenses such as; visa renewals, clothing, massages, haircuts, trips, etc. 

Kindly... Zeus

Hi Zues,

very interesting topic.

To live very comfortably in Bangkok, outside rent and transport - I would say for a single THB1,000 a day would be quite decent. Double this would be much better.

Anyone who has a budget of THB5,000 a day can likely afford luxury items

I don't want to drill down to specifics but it depends on the individual lifestyle as well.

Anyone who has anything above THB10,000 budget a day i would classify as rich

Happy to see more views

Well as i say we use 500.000 baht pr year (16.000 $ pr year or 1.300 $ pr month) = 40.000 - 42.000 THB pr month and can easily cut that down 10.000 baht, So we end up on around 30.000 baht. So the cut down is 10.000 baht, not that we live for 10.000 baht. Sorry if my English is to bad.

Water 130-150 baht
Power around 2.000 baht (Last bill 2.387 baht, It is hot season)

Giver wife father 6.000 baht pr month to live is hes house, When i turn 60 years, No more pay Family, AS the house is for us to live and get old together in, My wife house when her father is here no more.

810 baht for 50 mbit / 10 mbit internet.
540 baht for wife mobil, That have talk time, free wi fi, all the internet 4G she need.
I use so little on phone, That no need to put that in. (I dislike mobil phones)
Extension pr year. 1.900 baht, 5 trips to Immigration pr year = around 1.000 baht total for that, So 2.900 baht pr year = 242 baht pr month.

That around 9.742 baht pr month.

I think the Thai cable tv the wife see is around 3.000 baht pr year, or 250 baht pr month.

So that around 10.000 baht, the rest for food, what ekstra we need. Enjoy and so on.

Buy vegetables at marked around 700-900 baht pr month.

We dont drink, smoke, gambling, We dont go to club all night.

Eat at street 2 people, 1 water, 1 cola 90 -100 baht for 2 person.
Food center 120-150 baht for 2 person.
Go out 5 people to restaurant at beach, Eat what we want and drink water / cola to. last time 1.300 baht total = 260 baht pr person, As i pay for wife and me, That 520 baht.
Some times The others Thai pay, Some time we pay, And some time we all pay.

Go out to Barbecue, Eat all you can pr person. 120 -150 baht.
Find coupon for place to see and eat we normal dont go.
Normal the wife find that for small Baht to go and see.

All much never eat a Farang restaurant, The Thai and Asia food are so much better for me.

I can´t get a health insurance, So dont use money on that pr year / month.
But i do save up on the side for it. But as long as i dont use any of that, I dont count it in my "Budget" !!!

Right now i get treatment for my back pain, 1 time pr year. around total 6000 baht, or if you want pr month, 500 baht.

I have a ATM card that have accident insurance (Very small one), think that 800-900 baht pr year for that card, or 75 baht pr month.

The wife have that Thai card where she get 300 baht pr month, Soon 500 baht pr month.
That we use to buy stuff to clean house, toothpaste and so on.
As that free from Thai Government.
You can put that in our "Budget" if you like, I dont count it in, But we have it.

The wife have Thai health insurance program with dental care is 1.200 baht pr year, Thai Government pay the rest,  That 100 baht pr month.
That way, No matter what happened to her, She get treatment. 

We dont own a motor bike or car for the time, But i do know when we going to buy a car in the near furtur, We going to use more.
Use public transport are so cheap in Thailand.

Piggy car (Songthaew) is 10-15-20 baht, all after how long we want to go.
This we use all the time we go out.
80 baht for bus to Bangkok, 100 baht for mini van.

So put that together, And you see, We have a lot ekstra for fun fun and enjoy.

I am one of those people who does live on 30 k baht a month, sometimes up to 35 k baht. As has been noted, a person would not qualify for a retirement visa if that was the total income and had no reserves.

Let me clarify a point. When I say live in Thailand I mean just that. I live in Chiang Mai and don't feel deprived of anything. I have a lady friend who I typically take out at least once a week, and at times to high end dinners or venues. I live alone and enjoy that. It means that I also can control my expenses to the extent that I want to. (My water bill at my house is typically 60 baht a month.) In Chiang Mai I know, what I call, the wholesale market. This is the area where all the farmer's go to sell their products. Many restaurants and retailers go there to buy their goods. It gives one great buying power over groceries. I don't drink wine because the price is ridiculous, to me. Driving a motor bike probably saves me money when it comes to gas. I live about 15/20 minutes outside of the city, in a Moo Ban beautiful house of about 1,500 sq. ft. for 15 k baht a month. (I might have to up my budget a few k baht a month after moving into this house.)

The flip side of that is that 30/35 k a month is for my living expenses. That's my approximate budget. But that does not include several things. This past weekend I took my lady friend and myself to Krabi for three nights. That was not in my budget. Last year I had one medical emergency which cost 180 k baht. That too was not in my budget. Because of my actual income I can build up cash to take care of emergencies or side trips. I wear comfortable footwear and don't need to spend 6 k baht on shoes that will out live me. I used to be clothes conscience, but not any more. When I go back to the states I buy modestly priced clothes, if I need to. I'm perfectly happy with pocketed colored T-shirts. Oh yes, going state side is not part of my living budget in Chiang Mai.

So, in my opinion, there are two sides to the coin. I can live comfortably in Chiang Mai on around $1 k a month. But that does not include many extraneous expenses that might be associated with living in Thailand. Within that budget and life style I have no pressing needs. I can enjoy myself, develop a circle of friends and activities and not have to turn to anything like the bar life style. But at times I do have to spend money outside of my budget. Not a problem, because my income exceeds those limitations and I have additional resources.

I did something for me that is not entirely original. I bought a house in the Phoenix valley area in an active adult community. The community has four sections with five golf courses and active adult Club Med style activities, of sorts. I rent the house out during the snow bird season (winter) and it pays for almost all of my bills in Thailand. I end up going back to the states for two months a year a catching up with whatever. For me it works nicely.   

This too is not original. The more you want to live a western life in Thailand the more it will cost you. In Chiang Mai there is a chain called Rim Ping, supermarket. If you buy there you will find western products but throughout the store you will pay high prices. The closer you come to paying Thai prices the more "enlightened" you budget will be. For example you can go to a 7/11 and buy a Thai style frozen mini dish for 35 baht vs. going to a western place for maybe 300 - 500 baht. It's a learning experience, if you want it to be.

In Chiang Mai there is a famous western restaurant. One year they charged 3 k baht for a festival dinner. The next year they charged 4 k baht for the same dinner. The following year they charged 2.5 or 2.8 k baht for the same dinner. Even in Thailand the customer is the king (Thai or not) and everyone has the right to say no. In Krabi I went to a restaurant to watch a sunset. I paid too much for the beer, but enjoyed the beer and sunset, and then proceeded to another restaurant for a reasonably priced meal. "Up to you."

Enjoy

Dear Mr. Bill Kip  Today 09:41:50

Thanks... I had a good laugh... my wife was sitting next to me while reading your post and I told her, see Mr. Bill is single and can live on 35k THB a month and can see lady when he wants.

Sounds like what I need to do... wife costing me too much... she laughed big too, then gave me the killer eyes... I guess I'm stuck... Thanks for sharing on the living costs.

Zeus...

In the mean time, Enjoy.

Zeus, I think I have found a way to join the $1000 club without getting rid of the wife.  In my case all I have to do is disregard the initial cost of land and house, subsequent renovations, housekeeper, two nice cars, a couple of nice bikes, two iPhones plus AIS, a couple of Apple computers, two flat screen TVs,  TrueVision Platinum, electricity, water, internet, diesel, travel, shopping and massages.  I save a bundle on barbers by not having any hair, as well.  See, it is simple. :top:

Not true, one has to set their own priorities.

In 2008 the US economy collapsed. At that time I believe the cost of smart phones was in excess of $100, up to $150, just for the phone and service without any additional charges. In 2008 and 2009 people had to make a choice between eating and a smart phone (a toy). Obviously many people reverted to eating in lieu of their smart phone.

I know a woman in Chiang Mai who collects a Social Security check in the amount of $750 a month, per last report. For a Thai that is not a problem, but it is for a Farang. She made some bad choices. She has to live with those choices. Whatever may be said, some of us are not blessed with good choices.

I came across a man from Malaysia within the past few months. He is now retired. His job was such that he traveled to Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos. From what he has told me, Thailand is the cheapest place to live. That's his opinion.

VF; I don't think you're being objective with this issue. You at your age have your life style. So be it. Other people have their priorities that dictate their life style. So be it.

For what I get for USD 100k in Chiang Mai province costs me nearly five times that in the USA and for me the food and lifestyle is much better here then there. I'd spend more in the Netherlands for the same.

I know more then one living on Baht 30,000-40,000/ mon here and they're by no means living in poverty .Try that in the states or the Eurozone or Japan.

Yesterday the battery in one of my cars was discharged. A call to a battery shop and a worker is over the house by motorcycle in 15 min w/ a fresh battery & jumper cables. Five min later I'm driving. Cost 100 Baht + 20 tip. That's USD 4 or € 3.2.  Could you get that service in the west ? How much would it cost ?

What's the cost of our maids,gardeners and drivers here compared to the industrialized west ? In the USA my families individual health insurance policies have high deductibles. Its less of a hassle for me to pay our doctor's cash $65-125 per visit then hassle with the insurance system. Here it's Baht 400-600 per visit.

I find living much less expensive here and no I didn't move here for that reason.

My wife & I are lucky, we don't budget our money, we have retirement income to cover our expenses, you can live for less for sure but we like to travel when we are in Thailand within the country and out side the country. We eat out most of our meals or take home food. We have a car that's paid for & a condo that is paid off,sometimes we live under 2.000.00 a month US. Other times it is twice that. We are lucky to be healthy and financially secure. Thailand is a Great place to live.

Hi guys
thailand4me sounds what I would like
I'm only 55 (5555) and would like to have no money worries in Thailand
I think AUD2000 is my target monthly retirement amount as a couple
I have stayed in ko Samui for 3 months and found 50,000 baht was enough but I'll be living in Isaan so should be enough with 'free' accommodation

:) im sure that it is possible to live  on $1,000usd/mth in thailand,  but i dont think that amount is enough to support somebody who is used to euro  style of living and a weekly bar night with the ladies.
i have very ample income and fr
eehold condo in pattaya...but i still 'watch my spending'. eg. many people spend huge amounts on pwer--aircond on all day???---several 1000thb on satelite tv{do they watch tv all .day??
i cant live on thai foods{would be much cheaper if i could}.
i have found that i can save a huge amount by buying pre cooked vege etc at supermkt, fruits,etc, rather than going to  cheap restaurant every day.{still go once per week-also buffet breakfast once pw}
i spend--1,000 thb/mth---includes water,ph, tv,pwer and internet..
i have my food bill down to appox 350 per day=11,000thb/mth
1,000thb taxi---4xnights per mth in bars with ladies--5,000per night.
of course i could have a good night for much less....
condo fees=2,800/mth....this all adds up approx 36,000thb---
most pensions are a little more than this---i can live in my pension -alone--
even though i DO  have substantial other income if i needed it....

I'm not sure of your calculation of baht to $ is right , but I'm here in Bangkok and I'm getting 23 baht to 1 AUD $ , but it is nearly half of what you mentioned in your items comparison .. if your talking US $ you would get even more baht to the $ ..

In one respect Chiang Mai or Thailand is like anywhere in the world. You live relative to  your means or comfort zone. If you live below the ! k USD level per month then one is going to have to make specific choices (or strain). But at 1 k USD a person can live a very comfortable life style. If you want to live in a villa in the mountains with acreage and two cars and spend $200 for shoes that will outlive you then you can do that. Of course like anywhere in the world one can step up to 2 k USD and one can live twice that life style in Thailand. I know of one Brit who spends about 3 k USD and is unhappy. Of course he only buys or eats western style which does drain his budget. It's always up to the individual and what they are comfortable with. Whatever level Thailand has a comfort level both on the social platform and the affordability platform.

Generally speaking the affordability factor is very attractive for those who can enjoy it. Being 50 helps one get a retirement visa which pacifies some immigration problems. 

Enjoy

Well tomorrow I arrive in Chiang Mai , I hope to have the opportunity to meet some expats to get more local knowledge , I have booked a week at the  Gaps hotel for only 2700 baht , but will be looking for rental accommodation .. I decided the only way to see how it effects my budget to my lifestyle is to try first ...
everyone has different  requirements on what is good life , I have read all the comments here , and have spoken to others about cost of living.   I'm not one for material items but I do like to socialize ...
it might be more expensive per month , but I'm certain it is more affordable in Thailand than in my country ... that is what I believe is the real comparison for me ..

sorry, i went off  course a little.....yeah, 1,000usd is LESS  than im talking about--my nz$ is only 22thb..
im sure its possible to 'live ' on 1,000usd---too me thats NOT  living---its survival mode...only..

yes, you are correct.we all have different standards ----eg. i think 27,000 per month for condo is huge,would get something very nice for half that in pattaya.
ive  met many people who spend huge amounts on pwer eg 3,000+ per mth.
i seldom use aircond{very unhealthy}. have high level condo -cnr unit close to beach--good breeze 90% of time...i turn everything off after use..my power 300thb per  mth--true...
i used to eat at restaurants daily,dinner and one drink 300thb,or breakfast 150thb per day--very cheap by our standards-but even that adds up.
i dont quite live on 'baht bus route'-but if i did---i could halve my taxi fares..
i only drink once per week--if i went to beer bars, not gogo bars-it would be much  cheaper.
other than 27,000 ondo--i think chiang mai is cheaper than pattaya..
most of the 'euro' type foods, in supermkts, are more expensive than NZ...
but even buying these, its much cheaper that eating'out ' daily---i DONT eat meats ,chickens etc,like lots of veges...and fruits.. i pay 100thb phone/mth--590internetmth-- 80mth  water etc etc..
my nz super is approx  41,000thb/mth...i think aust and uk  slightly more....
i strongly advise NOT  coming to thailand,  if there is a very limited budget..i meet many expats in that situation...

didnt correctly read your 2,700/week ---that sounds VERY cheap to me....

I will be in Chiang Mai on Thursday and have lived there for 15 years +.So if you want to catch up for a coffee/chat drop me a line pls.my Thai mp is 0846118110.
cheers

Yes very cheap .. but there are some specials on prices when I booked so I'm quiet happy with that ..

That's sounds good , I'm yet to get a Thai mobile will do that in the next couple of days and contact you .

I live in a beautiful Moo Band, close to town, with a lake side setting, and close to much of the major shopping. One must have transportation living in this area, which is overcomeable. It's furnished with a square footage of around 1,550 sq. ft. Rent runs 15 k a month (baht) with utilities for around 1,5 k baht a month, and a maid for 800 baht a month. Utilities include water, electric, wifi, an cable. Instead of splitting hairs one can live in Chiang Mai form 1 K USD a month, without suffering. But if your horizon is higher then so be it. To each his own.

Won't be in country till Thurs after 1800 so fee free to call anytime after that.cheers

villagefarang wrote:

I am with Zeus on this one.  To start with you are trying to circumvent Thai laws on immigration by not having adequate funds to qualify for a retirement visa.  That leaves one vulnerable on many fronts and leads many to try their hand at flying from a balcony in a fit of depression.

For some reason slums in Thailand seem preferable to slums back home.  People will live in peasant shacks upcountry or shoebox apartments near the red light district and say how great it is here in Thailand.  Except for the availability of  “companionship” with someone half your age, I really don't see the advantage. :kiss:

I am just guessing here but there is the possibility that individuals who lived from paycheck to paycheck with no plan for the future, and thought that retirement would somehow take care of itself, are not going to take advice at this stage of their lives and must be allowed to learn things the hard way.

Personally, I have lived on much less than $1000 but I was very young and things were much cheaper forty years ago.  Now, I wake up on the first day of the month and my fixed overhead eats up that amount before I draw my first breath.  There is no way I am going to hold my breath for the rest of the month. ;)

I will have to agree with Zeus and Villagefalang also after having lived in Thailand for 17 years. Compare the cost of a steak, apple pie, alcohol or chocolate bar just to mention a few home pleasures that you will have to do without in order to keep within a $1,000.00/month budget. An apple pie cost from $5.00 to $7.00 in Canadian for a 1.2 kg pie. Here in Thailand $8.00 Cdn. minimum. Housing is cheaper here as is electric and internet but you would have to live in a shoebox condo or pheasant shack as stated by Villagefalang to make ends meet. Don't expect to find a young lady either unless she's desperate :-) . Only the hard up would opt for that kind of life style.

Salsa27 wrote:

That's sounds good , I'm yet to get a Thai mobile will do that in the next couple of days and contact you .

Salsa, could you be kind enough to post the current walk in weekly rates for Gaps. They do not have prices on their website. Thanks.

Possibly off topic, but adds to living cheaply.  :)

strbl2 wrote:

I will have to agree with Zeus and Villagefalang also after having lived in Thailand for 17 years. Compare the cost of a steak, apple pie, alcohol or chocolate bar just to mention a few home pleasures that you will have to do without in order to keep within a $1,000.00/month budget. An apple pie cost from $5.00 to $7.00 in Canadian for a 1.2 kg pie. Here in Thailand $8.00 Cdn. minimum. Housing is cheaper here as is electric and internet but you would have to live in a shoebox condo or pheasant shack as stated by Villagefalang to make ends meet. Don't expect to find a young lady either unless she's desperate :-) . Only the hard up would opt for that kind of life style.

Everyone is different and 31,000 is doable if you live like the country you are in. Accommodation and eating out are way cheaper in Thailand. Eating like a Thai is cheap, or like an Isaan farmer for nothing  ;) , but if you want to live a Western lifestyle in Thailand, it isn't cheap. I travel home 3 or 4 times a year and satisfy my Western cravings when there. Red wine, steaks, good burgers etc. In Thailand, I am happy eating Thai food and drinking Leo.  :)  Good luck to those on 1,000 and those on 10,000.

Written quote for 6 days was 2700 baht , booked through booking .com . I also see other hotels same and some slightly cheaper , photos and amenities looks good , but I'll be ther late this afternoon and can give update on rooms .. I was told by management only 150 baht by taxi from airport , so I guess it is close ... not knowing Chiang Mai it may be a far from city centre .. I have no idea lol

Got to look at the room , a little disappointing but for the price is ok , but no tv or fridge .. will look for something else as soon as I get my bearings of the area ... anyone have any suggestions ? Hotel close to shops and any bars with live bands hehe ...

same old story i guess--you get what you pay for....to me if a visitor has to be that 'budget' minded, its probably best to stay home----decent accom, with aircond ,frig and tv..is very cheap,especialy low season. surely even 600thb is cheap per night..

For getting started in Chiang Mai you could look at areas either in the Thai Pai Gate area or Kots Son Keow area (spelling). Both area's have many resources within walking distance. Both areas have lots of English speaking people around. Again, it's an idea relative to getting started in Chiang Mai. NeimanHeiman is another area. It has a wide range of prices and activities within walking distance. The university is west of that area and can offer some additional activities.

Yes 600 baht is cheap .. but it isn't about the price it s what is advertised .. well I'll look at other areas  , getting  a ride around to see where different locations are ..

Thanks Bill that's helpful ..

Thailand has rich and poor. If you live like the pheasants then it is doable and there are those that do but I for one would rather eat like a king and ride in style rather than a pheasant eating noodles and some curry sprinkled over some rice. I have seen foreigners that live in ramshackle houses with a single air conditioner and ride an old motorcycle or nothing and rely on the red songtaew for transportation. In the evenings order the cheapest thing on the menu and drink soda water at the nightclubs. If that's the kind of lifestyle that appeals to you then go for it.

Salsa27 wrote:

Yes 600 baht is cheap .. but it isn't about the price it s what is advertised .. well I'll look at other areas  , getting  a ride around to see where different locations are ..

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@18.78422 … 312!8i6656

Last stayed in this place about 4 years ago. Seems to have a new name, but looks the same. It is on the left about half way down Loi Kroh Road. They have 6 really nice quiet rooms at the back with TV and fridge and were very reasonable. Good luck.

Salsa27 wrote:

It's called the Oriental Garden restaurant and guesthouse. May be worth a try.