Moving to England

Hi everyone,

Today hubby got a job offer in Bury St Edmunds and we are moving from Italy to this part of the world very soon. I don't have any idea about the location and just visited London for 2 times. We should settle down many things and the first one is the matter of the house. Honestly I don't know where I have to look for? I prefer a furnish home or apartment, while I want to keep our home in Italy as a rest home. Also I am job seeker as well, I'm looking for a bit of advice on living in Newmarket or Bury St.Edmunds or any other place that's suitable for a couple.

Now we are just initially thinking Newmarket but seems like it has more going on from posts Ive found in various places.

Preferable would like to reduce hubby's drive to/from work because of traffic. The only place we bear in mind is Newmarket but not sure what its like as heard various comments on it not being that nice?

Sorry for the long post but I really hope some out you will be able to help and give some advice on areas etc

Many thanks
Federica

Hi Federica and welcome to the Forum.

First off, congratulations on your husband's new job and the forthcoming move to the UK.  At the top of the page are links to our different UK specific parts of the Forum; the first is our Discover link, from there, you should check out our England guide; secondly, at the top, we have a housing section, check that out for somewhere to live.

The next thing that may interest you is perhaps something related to living in the UK and the costs associated with that; the Numbeo website offers lots of information on many different subjects, including the ability to compare costs between different towns and cities; this link will take you to their website.

Once you have read our articles and the links provided, if you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

That's perfect!!! Grazie mille!!!

Federicaaa wrote:

That's perfect!!! Grazie mille!!!

Can I ask in the nicestest of ways not to duplicate your posts.

SimCityAT
Expat Team

Hello everyone and welcome to Expat.Com Federicaaa,

Just to inform you that since the new members thread is only meant for the introduction of new members, i have moved the feedback you got to this thread.

Also, i have edited your post published on the new members thread as we wouldn't want a duplicate thread on the forum, it is hard to gather all information when posters duplicate their posts.

All the very best,
Bhavna

Thank you for that Bhavna,

Federicaaa Out of the the whole of England, East Anglia is my favorite place to be. Both Newmarket and Bury St Edmunds are quite small market towns. There is no difference other than Newmarket has a famous racecourse. Prices to rent can be a bit more than higher then normal average.

Where exactly will your husband be working? What are your work skills?  If you are open to anything, Newmarket has more going for you as you can work at the racecourse (restaurant, bar etc...) or even hotels. London is not to far away on the Train so that opens the door for you even more.

Hope thats of help to you. Any more questions feel free to come back and ask away.

Kind regards

SimCityAT
Expat Team

Thank you for your reply. Hubby will start his job in Bury St Edmunds. Also I am a MBA graduate from the university of Liverpool. I have extensive experience in supply chain and procurement.

Regarding living in Newmarket I was reading various comments and mostly they introduced Newmarket as an odd place, likes to be either very rich people (the stud owners) or lower income families (people who work at the studs). I may be very wrong though and I am happy to be corrected.

Also I've just wondered if Newmarket would be ok for both of us while it's close to my hubby's work. In another way I like the idea of Bury as there does seem quite a lot more going on it but if prices are not much different to Ely then we may stick to Ely.

Regards,
Federica