Being in a relationship with a partner who’s different nationality

Do you find it challenging or exciting being in a relationship with a partner who's different nationality? How is it different to being with someone who speaks the same language, have the same traditions, remembers the same cartoons, and misses the same sweets from childhood?

Definitely a challenge sometimes, but mostly exciting :)

(I'm American, with one American parent, one English; he was born in London to Indian parents.)

There are definitely cultural differences between us, but mainly they are fascinating. I've learned a bit of Bengali, his family's language and gone to a Dwali celebration with him and I've introduced him to my Americanisms and food I've brought from home.

We learn from each other, and London is our common ground, a connection between the American and Indian sides of us.

My husband and I speak the same language (sometimes! ;) ) but the vocabulary is different and still results in misunderstandings.

I find the sense of humour over here is different. Canadian and British humour is closer than American-Canadian, but I still notice a difference.

All in all being in a relationship with someone of a different nationality is enriching :top:

its really amazing to me, I am Indonesian and my wife is Romanian. of course we speak english to each other. we met in the state and want move live and work to England. any advice guys?

yulian79 wrote:

its really amazing to me, I am Indonesian and my wife is Romanian. of course we speak english to each other. we met in the state and want move live and work to England. any advice guys?

Well . . . it's a beautiful country but very expensive!!!

I don't know, but since I was a kid, I knew I wouldn't get married to a man that came from my own country. Maybe I've been abroad for way too long ! :-)

Zuzanna wrote:

Do you find it challenging or exciting being in a relationship with a partner who's different nationality? How is it different to being with someone who speaks the same language, have the same traditions, remembers the same cartoons, and misses the same sweets from childhood?

BTW, Zuzanna, would you mind if I redirect this thread to the Expats board ? I believe many of us expats (not only in England) would have something to say about that !