Safety and Stability

My wife and I have been to Ambergris Caye Belize several times and are considering it for a possible  6 month out of the year retirement spot in a few years.  I have been looking at Roatan as a possible alternative but haven't done a lot of research yet.

While I can see Roatan is beautiful, I am concerned about safety and stability.  If you look at the US media, close to 10,000 Hondurans are on the southern border of the US trying to get in to the US after leaving Honduras.   Am I wise trying to get out of the US and into Honduras?

Is it safe to be in Roatan?  Is it safe to invest in Roatan?  Is the government stable enough that I should consider buying property in Roatan?

Thanks for your responses.

Roatan is not like the mainland of Honduras. It is relatively safe but a 3rd world country none the less.
As such you need to be aware that there are the very wealthy and the very poor on the Island. The good news is the limpera to dollar ratio is 24-1 We purchased our vacation home on Roatan in 2016. We have enjoyed going there for years and have had no trouble with safety. However, we do not take unnecessary risks. We don't leave our things out, we lock up our home and car and we place valuables in a safe. We don't walk around handling large amounts of cash.  These are the same precautions you would take anywhere where there is a population of those who have and have not. Lately there have been a lot of news about a few instances of crime. You can't live anywhere these days without some crime.  However, I believe there is a strong desire on the part of the residents and the government to root out these criminals and get them off the island. Roatan is a beautiful place to be and I wish you luck in your endeavor to find that happy place - wherever it is, to enjoy your retirement.