Residency Visa Vs. Work Visa

I am looking to move to Puerto Plata from Toronto, Canada. I have been offered a job and I am not sure if I need a residency visa or work visa or... both! Can I process everything through the Dominican Consulate in Toronto or do I have to make a trip to Santo Domingo? Thanks!

Welcome to the forums. It is highly likely at this stage you won't qualify for residencia. 

A work visa must start with your employer getting the required authorization.

You must gather the necessary documents in Canada and get them officially translated and notarized.

I will find you a link when I am at my office. For now go read the pinned thread on residencia. You will need most of those documents to file.

Here is what I found:

Completed Visa Application Form ( English | Spanish )
Original Visa Application Letter in Spanish to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs stating your name, nationality, place of residence, occupation, and how you project to establish in the country.
Original passport or travel document with at least 6 months of validity and photocopy of all used pages, including biographical page.
Photocopy of your Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) or your valid Canadian multiple entry visa (if applicable)
A photograph, the frame size must be 30 mm x 30 mm and stamped indicating date of photograph; photograph must not be older than 6 months. The photograph must show the full front view of the head, with the face in the middle of the photograph, and include the top of the shoulders.
Certifications from Ministry of Labour of Dominican Republic: 1) Attesting that the company/institution is registered in the Integrated System of Labour Registration (known as Sistema Integrado de Registro Laborales (SIRLA)) and that it complies with the provisions on Article 135 of the Dominican Labour Code on labour nationalization & 2) Approval of job proposal for work contract of duration period of minimum one year.
(Date of Certification not more than 3 months).
Original medical certificate with laboratory tests for doping (drugs) and HIV
Original National Police Check with fingerprints must be legalized and translated at our office for a fee of USD100.00 for legalization and USD40.00 for translation, if in person cash only, if by mail money order payable to the Dominican Republic Consulate.
Original Birth Certificate (long-form version, with parents' information etc.), if from Canada it must be legalized and translated at our office for a fee of USD100.00 for legalization and USD40.00 for translation, if in person cash only, if by mail money order payable to the Dominican Republic Consulate. Note: If Birth Certificate is from outside Canada and the country is part of the Hague Convention the document must be Apostille at their Ministry of Foreign Affairs or if the country is not part of the Hague Convention but there is a Dominican Republic Embassy or Consulate the document must be legalized there or if there is no Dominican Embassy or Consulate within that country, you may then certify the document at the country's Embassy or Consulate in Canada and have it duly legalized at our office.
Original guarantor letter in Spanish from the institution duly registered in the Dominican Republic whereby they certify the applicant's moral and economic conditions and that they will be accountable for living expenses and repatriation, the same must be signed in front of a Notary Public with two witnesses, then duly certified by the Office of the Attorney General of the Republic (known as Procuraduría General de la República). Documents that demonstrate economic solvency of the guarantor: Bank letters, vehicle ownership or copy of property title, also you must include a photocopy of the guarantor's identity card.
Bank letter specifying the date the savings or chequing account was opened, the annual average or balance maintained in the account, as well as the date of the last deposit.
Processing fee of USD90.00, if in person cash only, if by mail money order payable to the Dominican Republic Consulate.
NOTE: WHEN MAILING YOUR DOCUMENTS PLEASE INCLUDE A SELF-ADDRESSED PREPAID EXPRESS ENVELOPE.

IMPORTANT: The Work Visa is valid for one (1) year with multiple entries. Within the first 30 days of the visas' validity you must enter Dominican Republic to formalize the procedures of residence or temporary permit at the General Directorate of Migration in Santo Domingo.

Thank you! Yes it looks like I need to start with a work visa then apply for residency. What documents need to be notarized?

READ THE THREADS & PRINT THEM OUT!! The answers are there in a myiad of posts.  With a tad of patience & a modicume of due diligence, you are sue to find the information you need.  That is the miracle of the threads you need to educate yourself in the area you need.  In othe rwords,.... read-read & read more as has been suggested.  After reading them, you will be able to request cogent answers to your specific questions.  Asking in generic terms will never garner the particular answers that you seek......

Assume all need notorizing.