Dating and finding love as an expat in Morocco

Hello,

With cultural barriers and different dating norms, finding love as an expat abroad can be exciting and challenging at the same time.

Is it easy to meet other fellow single people in Morocco?

How do you go about meeting people (through friends, online dating, apps, meetup groups)?

How safe is it to date in Morocco?

How do you deal with cultural differences when dating?

What are certain dating etiquettes and rules when dating in Morocco?

How do you deal with getting into a serious relationship if you know you might be leaving Morocco?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I think it is the same as anywhere it is important to be cautious and be clear with what kind of person that you are looking for. The first step is to understand what you are looking for, is it marrige, or anything else... In Morocco I belive that people date in a more traditional way and you should try to undersand what the other person are looking for and see if you two wants the same things. To meet a partner is possible anywhere in the world, in Casablanca there is diffrent forums online where people can connect and so on. There are diffrent things to have in mind when dating. If you want further advice you can write.

Best wishes,
Polina

Like Polina said, it's like anywhere else in the world. Make sure you guys both want the same thing, You give it a shot, if you feel that you are happy with the relationship, you go on, otherwise you move on. When you get into a serious relationship and then you have plans (or you might) leave later on, it becomes a matter of priorities. I guess you will be facing a tough decision to make just like any other situation in life.
As of the cultural differences, I think it's usually intriguing and enriching rather than a significant obstacle.

Priscilla wrote:

How safe is it to date in Morocco?

How do you deal with cultural differences when dating?

I am not sure how safe it is. I guess you get questioned if you try to book a hotel/rent a place alone with someone of the opposite gender, who you can potentially be intimate with. I haven't dated or such in Morocco, or read about it, so I don't know anything about this. I've seen some threads where people said they've stayed with their girlfriends/fiancée family who welcomed them to do so. Given Moroccan hospitality, I can believe that.

In countries such as Egypt for example, to deal with the cultural differences (being alone with the opposite gender who is not your mahram), some obtain an Orfi/Urfi paper, to get around this (there are other uses for Orfi, but I think this is one of the use cases). I haven't heard of something similar in Morocco - which is good (or bad depending on your views).

I think in the past, the marriage process in Morocco was probably easier than it is now, and was abused. Some people would visit the country, get 'married', have their fun in Morocco, then leave - sex tourism. I guess one of the reasons they toughened the marriage process was to get people to take it more seriously. If you're just coming for a bit of 'halal' fun, you will quickly find out getting 'married' there isn't fun at all. Again, this is something good I guess. Like other things in life, it takes a few rotten people to ruin it for all. Unfortunately people seeking genuine marriage now find themselves going through a tiresome, lengthy process. You can read about their ordeal on plenty of threads on this site.

Looking for love or friendship in marrakech any ideas as I'm from London coming to Marrakech this month

Maroc98 wrote:

Looking for love or friendship in marrakech any ideas as I'm from London coming to Marrakech this month

I have a good idea, stay in London. A lot more chance of finding love and friendship and the men you find it with will speak English

I agree - look in London. Having lived in places near Ladbroke Grove, Edgware Road, and Harrow Road, I can say confidently that London isn't short of Moroccans. Plus you won't have to deal with the hassle of bringing them over from abroad. Maroc98 is a guy. Lets hope he finds love with the opposite gender. :)