Dating and finding love as an expat in China

Hello,

With cultural barriers and different dating norms, finding love as an expat abroad can be exciting and challenging at the same time.

Is it easy to meet other fellow single people in China?

How do you go about meeting people (through friends, online dating, apps, meetup groups)?

How safe is it to date in China?

How do you deal with cultural differences when dating?

What are certain dating etiquettes and rules when dating in China?

How do you deal with getting into a serious relationship if you know you might be leaving China?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Is it easy to meet other fellow single people in China?
I have never had trouble meeting people in China. Once a girl showed any interest in me, and found out that I was available, it was very easy to go out. In fact, the gals would come up to me and ask me out for dinner and then we could often go elsewhere afterwards.

Most Chinese guys and girls remind me of my High School friends from way back. I am very comfortable with them, and they are very comfortable with me. We just go out and have a great time together.

I have expat friends that only date or spend time with other expats. i don't. In fact, this is something that I avoid. Why come to China if you don't want to spend time with Chinese people?

How do you go about meeting people (through friends, online dating, apps, meetup groups)?
If there is a girl I like, I ask her if she wants to eat. Then we go to a nice restaurant. If my Chinese language skills are not that good, or she cannot speak English, I have a friend help me work out the details. Then, we can easily communicate using the translation app on WeChat. Sometimes its a matter of cell-phone back and forth.

How safe is it to date in China?
Very safe.

How do you deal with cultural differences when dating?
I have not really seen really big differences in culture. Most Chinese gals are very traditional, and that is just fine with me, as I was raised in a traditional household where men and women have traditional roles. The only thing is that I have to carry the girls purse when she is in the ladies room. Sometimes I feel a little odd holding this really girly frilly purse waiting outside. Also Chinese girls expect a man. This is an alpha male. You don't hold open the door for them like a beta male. Aside from that, it's all very comfortable.

What are certain dating etiquettes and rules when dating in China?
I always pay for the meal if I ask the girl out. If the girl asks me out, she will pay, though I will try to pay instead. Be clean and well groomed. Make sure that you wash the dishes out with green tea first before using them, and follow the proper technique in holding the chopsticks. In general, most Chinese love eating seafood.

How do you deal with getting into a serious relationship if you know you might be leaving China?
Never get in a serious relationship if you know that you will not be able to maintain it. It's terrible and a difficult thing to maintain.

@VANNROX - you are such an expert with every topic. Who would bother to comment?

My office is in Shanghai on the Beijing road. For the moment it is closed due to no follow-up and valid candidates. The assignments are sent from Belgium.
My visit or an employee happens twice a year to ensure the checks.
What looks normal, even though I am a European, my heart is always in China or Taiwan.

Looks like you never had long term relationship with Chinese, of marriage, you see only the top of everything,.  Can't even imagine what's deeper, just nice and comfortable...that's terrible... to read.

In China, it is relatively easy for foreigners to meet other singles.

Some [link moderated] like Tantan, Soul, Wechat etc.

As for dating safety: basic safety. But it doesn't rule out that you meet some bad people.

Cultural differences: It is mainly a matter of language communication. In fact, in some cultures, you may be surprised when you see it for the first time, but you feel normal after seeing it more.

For example:

• Chinese New Year red envelopes.
  • Your friends take you to his/her home as a guest, if you are of marriageable age, some aunties will be very keen to help you find a lover.

Etiquette: Don't give a green hat to your boyfriend as a gift!

Hello Ethan_R,

Welcome to expat.com!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and advice1f60e.svg

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Anyone single in Dalian?