Unabridged marridge and/or birth certificates

My husband is a UK citizen and I am South African. We are looking at relocating to Ireland. We have friends who moved there in 2010. I have been asking them questions and something came up that I have not read on any site. According to George, we will need an apostille unabridged marriage certificate and the same per person for the birth certificate. I have not seen anything like this on the Irish governmental websites. What is it for? Can anyone shed some light on this, please?

In general, if any Government department requires any person to provide documentary evidence from a national system (so, birth, marriage, divorce and death documentation), then they generally have to be original documents (not copies) and apostilled as being genuine documents; the apostille is normally applied by the Embassy in the country where you are applying, but it can be done back in your home country; there is sometimes a time limit as to how old the apostille can be.  If the apostille is required, it is normally stated on the form you are completing.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks for that.

Hi,

Contact The EU Treaty Rights Unit
Residence Division
Irish Naturalisation & Immigration Service.
When I contacted them in August 2018, they confirmed that only copies are fine, doesn't need to be certified or Apostille.  Unless it's different for UK Citizens due to Brexit?

If you want I'll send you the contact details?