Belgium or Brazil: some considerations please

Hi everyone,

I was looking for a Brazilian forum so I can improve my Portuguese, but this seems good too.
I'm a 32 year old man and I met my Brazilian girlfriend while I was traveling in South America. We have been together for almost 3 years now, in which I traveled back and forth to Brazil. Aside of Brazil's socio economical problems, there are many things that I like. People are generally warm hearted and happier than here in Europe.

I can find pros and cons for living in Belgium vs living in Brazil.
My girlfriend (29) bought a 100 square meter apartment in Sao Paulo for 400 000 reais, roughly 100 000 USD.  It's completely paid and it's decent. For this price you can't find any apartments where I live.

But my job pays a lot more in Belgium than it does in Brazil, probably 5 times as much. We also consider having children, and the cost and quality of education in Brazil is much worse than in Belgium. We pretty much have free education for children, free health care plans and free university. I have heard about expats spending ridiculous amounts of money for educating their kids in Brazil. This would be easier in Belgium. My girlfriend is studying our language now, and will try to start a life here. We will see how that goes.

One of my ideas is to get married to my girlfriend, which means that she would gain Belgian citizenship and I would become a Brazilian resident. I don't know how long it would take for me to have the Brazilian nationality or permanent residency, but I can find out about it here. If I become a Brazilian resident, I can sell a property in Belgium after 10 years of working and use the money to buy 2 or 3 small apartments in Brazil. We can rent out 2 of them, and use the profit to educate the kids. Let me know what you think of it.

Now.. I read online that for me to own a property in Brazil, I would need a CPF and I would have to be a permanent resident. Which I can accomplish by getting married.

About 70% of marriages in Belgium end in divorce. I don't assume it will ever happen to me.
But if it does, do I lose my CPF and do I lose my Brazilian permanent resident status?

I'm a bit skeptical about investing in Brazilian real estate since the government is so corrupt.
I have a friend who owned a company in Argentina and her land got confiscated during the crisis. She is not an Argentinian resident.

Your thoughts and considerations are very welcome

thanks

GringoLouco
I think that your idea has a lot going for it, provided that your girlfriend likes Belgium. 

Once you have your permanent residency -- which can happen very quickly, within one to three months at the outside, if your documents are in order -- there are very few restrictions on you.  You can't be absent from Brazil for more than two years continuously, that's about it.  So you can live most of your time in Belgium, and as long as you spend time in Brazil on a regular basis until you're ready to move, you'll be ok.  Regular visits to the in-laws should take care of that.

Argentina and Brazil are as different as Belgium and Greece, so I would no more try to extrapolate your friend's Argentine experience to life in Brazil, than I would someone's experience during the Greek crisis to life in Belgium.  Pay more attention to the advice of your girlfriend, and of your in-laws-to-be, if you think they're intelligent, well-informed people; they should know more about their own country, and be able to advise you regarding the facts on the ground.

Best not to assume a divorce before you're even married!  But no, you won't lose your CPF -- the Receita Federal will not lose their interest in your because your marital status changes.  The picture is a little murkier about your permanent residency, but the consensus here seems to be that once you have it, you have it, period, as long as you're not absent for more than two years running.   Hopefully, this is a situation you'll never face, and if you do, you'll have legal advice.

Exiting times -- good luck!

Thanks for the reply, abthree.

I don't consider my relationship to be so unstable that it may end in divorce. But what I do consider a threat is that she may not be able to adapt to Belgian society. The language is hard for her (and I think it will be tough for her to find a job that she likes), she has to build a social circle from scratch and there are cultural differences that she struggles with. She's had some moments of "saudades" when she was here for the first time. Now she's back in Brazil, but even though she liked it in BE she just asked me if she can extend her stay in Brazil for another month. I get it, but it makes me worry about our future.

Belgians are very punctual but she is the opposite, showing up late for work on a daily basis. And if you try to make her be on time she gets upset. "My life is not a clock". I also think that Belgians are more productive, as in the pace being higher.

I like being in Brazil as a tourist but not for working there. I currently work as a physical therapist and I take postgraduation courses to become an osteopath (DO) which will take another 7 years of education. When I see the poor level of health care for the middle class in Brazil (for example I have heard that it is uncommon to have a total hip/knee  replacement as surgery), I don't think there's good money to be made in health care. I make about $4000/month after tax (free health care etc) at home, and I have heard about physical therapists making about a tenth of that in Brazil.

I want nothing but the best for her, but from a job perspective I couldn't move to Brazil yet. I hope that that will never drive us apart

GringoLouco,

As an American married to a Brazilian, I TOTALLY get your punctuality thing!  My husband is  (reasonably) punctual for a Brazilian, but he does share the cultural tendency to believe that time is somehow flexible and responds positively to wishes.  Coping mechanisms range from just starting to prepare a half hour or an hour earlier than normal, to asking friends, when we set something up, "Now, is that Brazilian Time, or American Time?"  That always gets a big laugh, but also makes everybody a little more aware of the value of time and punctuality.  One has to choose one's battles.

I wouldn't be so sure about your field not paying well in Brazil, particularly in the São Paulo area.  I would expect that you could make a comparable income in the private medical sector, with a very good quality of life, provided that you can get your credentials certified.  You would only be working with wealthy patients, and their quirks; if that doesn't bother you, it could be worth some research.

As far as living in Belgium goes, you already know that you're not going to change Belgium; you're also probably not going to be able to change your Brazilian girlfriend, at least not much.  All that's really under your control is your attitude and response to both.  If you try to interpret Belgium to her, and her to the Belgium that's really important to you -- your family and friends -- chances are that you can come to an understanding.  If you try to squeeze a Brazilian into some ideal model of  "Belgianness" or even more, "Flemishness" (I would guess from your posts that you're a Fleming, not a Walloon), your chances of making that work are pretty poor. 

An interesting challenge -- all the best!

Hi Gringo

I completely concur with the point of view that has been expressed by Ab3.

Adding on to that please note that your CPF is with you for life, it is basically a TAX ID number.

You can also gain a CPF through the Embassy of Brazil, without getting married or without ever entering Brazil.

If you gain your permanency through marriage, you will usually receive your Permanent Resident Card which used to be known as a CIE before and is now called a CRNM, within 2 months from the date of submission of your paperwork here in the Brazilian Policia Federal.

Lastly based on marriage you are eligible to apply for your Brazilian citizenship after completing 1 year of Residency.  Of course there are specific requirements that you need to meet, which include passing the CELPE Bras (Portuguese language test) among other items accordingly.

What a few couples do is that they come to a mutual agreement which they sign and register in the Notary public prior to getting married, a basic prenuptial agreement, in order to secure there assets and other things.

All in all I hope the above info helps.  Furthermore we wish you the best of luck :)

Regards

Stanza

Hi GringoLouco,

I met my husband while he was on a  working trip in Brazil, doing some commissioning service for a company that I worked for. We got along together quite well from the beginning ,and then he had to leave to Scotland.
We kept in contact through internet and both of us travelled back and forth to each others country for 2 years. After 2 years we decided that a distant relationship would not work. As we were in love, we started talking about getting married.

Our first option was living in Brazil so I would keep my job of 10 years and my house and he could go to Brazil  every 3  months. His job didn't necessarily required him to live in Scotland but it was easier for him to live there as he had to travel all over Europe and China.To cut short, that didn't work, so I left Brazil for Scotland and we got married.

Apart from the Scottish accent and living in a small village, I never really had any problems with adaptation. Sometimes, when he was away in China, I spent days alone. Some of his friends visited me and they were really caring and helped me through his absence.

As I wasn't picky about jobs, I just wanted to work, I got what I could get at the time which was at a local hotel as a housekeeper assistant. Luckily I already spoke English and I was embraced by my colleagues. They became very good friends.

Few years late my husband got a job in Ireland and our family, me , husband and 3 young adults have lived in Ireland for 15 years.
Now, we want to move to Brazil and enjoy life while we are still  young at heart  :D .Also because is cheaper and sunnier.
This is my story and I have met many Brazilians during my many years living abroad, with totally different stories. Some didn't adapt to European culture, weather, etc. Some didn't want to work in low paid jobs and make their way up, lack of friends, all sort of things.
The most important for my adaptation ,apart from the support I had from husband and new friends, was myself. I wanted to be with him, so I did whatever I had to do to keep that way.