[Help] Maio island Cape Verde

Hi everyone,

In October I will enjoy the long-awaited vacation. As I like quiet and hot water at a decent price the choice ended up on the island of Maio.

From my research up to now it has been concluded that the island is one of the most, if not the poorest, but on the other hand it has spectacular beaches and quietness away from all the confusion and crowds of the islands of Sal and Boavista.

As it is a little tourist island I had to be myself to deal with everything (trips, transfers, stay).

No worries but the main problem is the lack of information or feedback regarding holidays on this island.

Who has already been there can share the experience, councils, tips, etc ??

To visit the beaches are accessible and reliable public transport network or better to rent a car / taxi? Is the rental expensive?

Shops to buy things to make sandwiches, buy sunscreen, etc. are there? Are the prices fair? Are meals accessible in restaurants?

Regards

Hello
I recommend you to stay in the main town of the island, depending on your budget: Apartments Stella Maris or Hotel Atlantic Hauses (formerly Marilu). I always stayed in the Marilu which is in the centre next to the church. Very nice is also "Jardim do Maio".
There are shops, the best is called "Pickpay".Transport is easy to find and cheap. The beaches can be reached by foot, no need to hire anything. The island is very small with nothing spectacular to be visited, except perhaps the village Calheta.
There are only few restaurants and bars, the most popular is "Tropikal" on the beach, they also have a B&B in the centre. I stayed there 3 times the last 2 years but now I prefer Mindelo where I will spend the winter, Maio is too quiet for a long period but ok for 1/2 weeks.
Enjoy your stay, RoM