Life in Kinshasa

My husband has a proposal for a serious position on the capital, I try to learn all I can about this new destination. Nevertheless some questions are not answered, so I need your answers :

- The dollar seems the only reference in the prices, whether in terms of rent or even for products of everyday life. Ok for the reference, but what about when we are on site? Is it really necessary to walk with dollars? To pay rent in dollars? Or to apply the conversion to pay in Congolese Franc?

- Food seems to be a very important budget if you only shop at the supermarket. However, when I lived in Dakar, I add the supermarket with products from the market for fruits, vegetables and poultry. Is doing the market feasible in Kinshasa for a white woman, or is it completely necessary to dismiss this idea? To get an idea, can you give me the price for a kilogram of tomato, apples, or the price of a chicken, at the market?
Do you find any fish, if so, at what price? Freshwater fish only?

- What is the most spoken language in the capital? Swahili?

- Drive : I understood that driving yourself in the capital could be tedious with the police. Does having a driver help avoid requests for gifts from the police? In this case, must you have tinted windows car? What is the average salary of a driver?
Can we walk on foot without risk? In Dakar, where the number of sidewalks is inversely proportional to the number of bad drivers, I walked a lot. It does not scare me, provided I do not physically get mugged or robbed.

- What type of hobbies can be found in the capital or around ? I saw a botanical garden, a reserve at Bonobo, a lake, is there anything else?

- Is there a leather market in the capital? Can a white woman access it or is it dangerous?

Thank you !

:sosad:

Hello Usinamiss
I will try to answer all I can even though I am new to the capital too but nevertheless I am Congolese and have some info that would be helpful to you
1)The dollar is the most popular currency so if you are worried about the mention in rent etc don't ..Most stuff is paid in dollar and if you happen to come across some good or services in Congolese Franc just use the principal of exchange ..With the current rate of about 1$=1630Fc you have 16300FC for 10 $ and 163,000Fc for 100$ it's for you to do the maths 😀
You can find fish fresh fish but mostly at the market .As a white woman you will be stereotyped ...you are expected to pay extra but you can always get accompanied by a 3rd person during your first few trips to get an idea of the pricing
For 1kg tomato is about 3$ .
Local language is Lingala but being white most people will speak to you in French (you get lucky)
As a new driver in Kinshasa I advise you to get a driver coz even the best driver will have a hard time breaking all the rules as do our drivers here .You will have to pay regular 0,5 $ to the local traffic conductors etc ..you can't escape that both being driven and driving .
You can walk on the streets it's not that dangerous ...I mean the level of insecurity is pretty much the same as other African capitals ....
I hope I have atleast helped cheers 😀

Thank you !!! You are very helpfull :)

Hello,

Iam getting job offer from a big retail company,as they are providing accomodation ,food,transport etc,and they are located in kinshasa.. I would like to know as election coming up in december so it safe to come there ? earlier i was in lumbumbashi so is it safe to work there ? how is things in kinshasa.. Your advice and guidance will be really helpful.

Awaiting response.

Thanks

Hello Maneesh ,
Hope I got your name right .I would say kinshasa is quiet dynamic when it comes to security ..1)Th area you will stay matters .If you stay in a densely populated estate then they are more people and more chances of insecurity .
I believe adjusting to any city is easy if you have an open mind .
I am 3months old in Kinshasa and also from Lubumbashi but today I feel like all I have to do to enjoy the town is remain open minded .
I hope I didn't respond too late .
Ange

Hllo Ange. My name is kevina amd  im a cameroonian looking for expatriate job in drc i have a accounting background and i speak english and french fluently. Can you pleass give me some tips how to start look for  jobs over there and make  my applicationto  be successful. I will really appreciate your help. My dear thank you for your understanding.
Best regards,

Hello Kevina ,
I'm glad to read you ..When it comes to accounting jobs you have a variety of options .I can always send you links to websites where hot jobs are posted daily like (RadioOkapi and Media Congo )
That way you have options .Plus your bilingual skill is also a plus here
So below are the links ...literally great sites for you .

Whenever possible holla if need be 😀

https://www.radiookapi.net/offre-demploihttps://www.mediacongo.net/emplois.html