Working in Kinshasha

Hi I will be working in Kinshasha for a year from early 2014. I will get paid $2,050 per month. I am willing to share a flat with other expats and mostly buy ingridents and cook. Would this be enough to survive in Kinshasha? I think Gombe area is the most decent areas in Kinshasha if I got it correctly? Are UN and other international organisations located in Gombe area? Also I do not know how to drive. Would this be a problem? I used to take moto taxi in another African country? And lastly, regarding safety, is it dangerous to walk around even during daylight?

Look forward to hearing back. Many thanks

Hi shinny0307,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I am sure the members will provide you with some useful information very soon.

Best of luck,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

Dear Shinny,
I'm planning to go as well in Kinshasa. But I already went there and got many infos about the life. Your salary is enough to survive in Kinshasa. Regarding the transportation, if you could have a car, it could be very easier for you because the public transportation is very very difficult in Kinshasa, but at the beginning, just use the taxi or even the moto taxi ;-). The majority of UN and organizational institutions are indeed located in Gombe. But Gombe is also one of the mist expensive area to live, specialy if you are located in the city center. I could recommend you some plare in the neighboroud of the city center. Lastly, Kinshasa is a safe city, but like every cities, there are places not so safe. So, as you are expats, I do not recommend you to walk around alone in some areas during the night.

Cheers,
EJ

Hello.

USD 2000 is not much for living in the DRC. However if you can find a place where to stay at less than USD 500. Then, it will Ok if you ccok for yourself.

Kinshasa is safely during the day and you can use taxis but I can't advice bike or other.

Gombe is the safely place and again the most expensive. My law firm YAV & ASSOCIATES is located in Gombe and we can still assist if needed.

Welcome.

Regards.

Dr. Joseph Yav