Racism in Malmo

Good day to everyone,
I'm a Danish citizen with a Middle East background, living in Malmo for more than a decade... I communicate daily between my home in Malmo and my work in Copenhagen by bus and train. I'm exposed to racism in my everyday life. I'm pretty sure that thousands like me are victims for such an ugly behavior!
Even racists attacking me while I'm staying at my own home by different ways! As like they're desperately trying to achieve something important for them!! Sometimes I think what could be their intentions? Who encourage them?
It's so sad 😪..
I wonder if the situation is same in other parts of Sweden?!

Well I can say there is racism almost everywhere in the world. I didn't know it was that bad in Malmo. Although my own personal experience within Sweden is often good but on few occasions, I have felt I was target of racism. That said I took it on boldly and in last couple of months I have not had any such incidents.

Thanks for your comment...
I know there's racism all over the world, what I meet it everyday, no exception!!
I meet it many times a day, in different ways! It seems like an organized action against foreigners, especially peoples from Middle East!! I met even Swedish racist in Singapore February this year, acting as savage as they do here in Malmo! I meet Swedish racists even in Copenhagen! They're barging like savage dogs (SD) at innocent peoples!

That's sad to know! Its not a constructive environment for a person to live in such things happen everyday. Do you have someone to talk to about these things? There are some things which you can do in some situations which can help you push back such harassment.

Racism is a word that is oft  used without understanding of the concept.
I do not believe one race is genetically better than another.  In fact all races have their strengths , weaknesses and flaws.
I do however think that it is presents challenges to expect an individual of one culture to successfully integrate into another culture.
Culture is born of years of socially expected norms.  Some of which become written law.
To expect cultures of diametrically opposed views to integrate is effectively setting each other up to fail.

I think racism is often used in error, whatever is being experienced is far more likely xenophobia, where someone hates all foreigners, regardless of race, colour, creed, sex or religion.  Still a nasty thing to experience though and I wish all that are suffering some respite.  Food for thought, we experience it in the UK between the English, Scots, Welsh and Irish - not a massive issue at the moment and perhaps social media is making it more visible than before, but a worrying trend.

Dani001 wrote:

Good day to everyone,
Sometimes I think what could be their intentions? Who encourage them?
It's so sad 😪..

Sad it is, that anyone should have to experience any kind of hatred. I am not sure what their intentions are. But its a problem across Europe, ever since the EU accepting the refugees in the last few years.
Who encourages them, I would say far-right groups which seem to be on the rise. They are still a minority in many countries but it would seem they are on the rise.

Trying not to be to bring to much politics here, but America's present Administration having their stance on certain faiths and nationalities have not helped things.

Cynic.
Please explain how racism exists between the Welsh, Irish, Scottish and English.
I am interested to hear your explanation.

Myrtlesmith wrote:

Cynic.
Please explain how racism exists between the Welsh, Irish, Scottish and English.
I am interested to hear your explanation.

I didn't, I said xenophobia exists between these groups.

Thanks for your concern... Never mind! As I mentioned before, I meet them in many different situations every single day... My experience is to neglect them as they are barking like dogs, nothing else! I have to live with it till I would be able to start a better life some other place outside of Sweden!

Thanks for your comment...
Some times I wonder how a human being capable to contain so much hate and acting so reckless!!

Cynic. My apologises for misreading your original comment.
I personally think the issue is not about an individuals race. But about their culture and the difficulties faced when attempting to mix cultures. To be honest. As much as I could try.....I would not want to integrate into a society/culture that held diametrically opposed views to mine. So to expect others to do the same is almost setting these individuals up to fail.

It's okay, never mind...
I agree with you, anyone immigrating to a new country MUST respect, accept, learn and adapt most what's customs and traditions in there! Otherwise it's better he/she seeks other society closer to his/her values!

I'm personally atheist, against old fashion and thinking liberal... I don't have any chance to be myself as the hateful peoples refuse me (or a specific race), not because how I act for example here in Sweden but because of my race! Personally I wished I was never born among a religious society, but here I'm, that's the Destiny!

Myrtlesmith wrote:

Cynic. My apologises for misreading your original comment.
I personally think the issue is not about an individuals race. But about their culture and the difficulties faced when attempting to mix cultures. To be honest. As much as I could try.....I would not want to integrate into a society/culture that held diametrically opposed views to mine. So to expect others to do the same is almost setting these individuals up to fail.

I agree with you; I've lived/worked in many countries around the world and apart from learning the language, have never integrated into any of them (although there is photographic evidence that I did once wear a pair of Dutch clogs); but at the same time I didn't expect anybody to make any special provision for, or adopt my culture.

Yet people still strive for the "better life", thinking they can move half-way across the world and create a mini-version of what they just left behind, so not have to integrate.  I think the reality is that most people would prefer to stay at home, but only if they can have the social infrastructure associated with that better life.

C'est la vie.

Cynic
Expat Team

Some times we understand better if we think out of box!
You as a European has no excuse to "Immigrate" and adapt other nation's culture by virtue of you're coming from world's most powerful nation financially, politically, geographically, culturally etc.. You're a member of a nation with a huge influence on the worlds events in all aspects! Then why you should immigrate now, while your grand parents immigrated to f.ex. USA for a few hundreds years ago as they were poor and searched for a better life there!
So long there are bloody conflicts, wars, poverty etc, then there would be refugees and immigrants...
The Philippines population is about 104 million.. more than 10% of them working abroad because of poverty... Should Filipinos be treated bad of that reason?! Of course not!! They have a wonderful country but they "Have to" leave their country, although they have a choice (they can stay and not leave it!!)..
The reason of NO one of Middle Eastern people going back to their countries, is that, almost all the dictatorships ( a president or a government) in the region are supported by Western governments with USA in the lead!! They do their best to unstabilize the political and financial atmosphere.... To secure oil supplies is the only priority in the region!!
Now back to how the Nazi peoples or racists acting.. can you tell me any accuses for their unhuman behaviors? Swedish racists harass me ( people from Middle East) in Both Sweden and in Denmark, I was even offer in Singapore this February from Swedish racists!! Is Singapore their country too?!!
They're coping Ku Klux Klan procedures!! Where in the world racists has solved problems? South Africa? USA? Australia? Italy? German?
I'm living in Malmo just because I HAVE TO for the moment!! Because of my private life! I work in Denmark, I pay my taxes with pleasure in both Denmark and in Sweden as it goes to good purposes! I sincerely hope that very soon I would be able to leave Sweden and Europe for always! I'm either not interested living among narrow minded peoples, whom they're not able to think more than their own nose!!
I really believe in what says " Live the life before you leave it!"

Interesting.  Speaking personally; I'm not a European, I happen to live here because of my birth and the right it gave me to a UK passport; I also have a US passport (by birth).  My family left Ireland during the potato famine (which was also the worlds first ever mass wave of refugee's (> 1,000,000); they shipped to the US in the mid-1800's, arriving just in time to get caught up in the US Civil War.  I suspect (because I don't know as none of them could write worth a damn to leave any notes) that life was pretty tough in those days and if the US in those days was a "better life", then they didn't notice much because between Government forces and the indigenous locals, everyone was pretty intent on either deporting them back to Ireland, or removing them from the face of the earth - pretty extreme racism on the face of it.  But if you look at the history and events, it is not a whole lot different to what is happening now, just different players wearing different versions of the extremist's uniforms.

As for the realpolitik you refer to, regarding who runs which country and for whatever reason, it doesn't really matter ............ why?  Because as long as people like you and me continue to carry on moving around the world to escape all the sh1t going on back home, it ain't going to change, life will never get better for the folks who are still there; but we'll be doing OK, except for a few brain-dead xenophobes calling us names.

I often wonder how life would have been for my family back in Ireland had we not left, if we'd decided to stay and build a better future at home, instead of seeking that "better life".

C'est la guerre mon ami. :)