Cash out of Vietnam

Wife and I moved to Hoi An 2 years ago and got bank account in Vietnamese bank - we transferred money from Thailand to Vietnam bank. We have now moved back to Thailand and want our money back to Thailand.

I hear that its practically impossible to transfer money out even tho we were promised by the Vietnamese bank that we could transfer back same amount as we transferred in.

We therefore plan to take about 5 trips in 10 days from Bangkok to Danang and move 10,000 USD (change I gold shop) out every time - 5,000 USD each.

Would it be a problem with Vietnam Immigration if we come that many times in such a short time ?

You should do just one trip and transfer the money back to Thailand. Do you still have the transfer documents when you sent the money to Vietnem.I have sent money out, due to having the transfer of money documents.

Here's how I see it happening.

You might do a trip or two and get away with it at first. Not sure what type of visa you have but they'll notice all the frequent visa stamps then ask you questions. Search your bags...Eventually they ask how much money you have. Then they will make you pay in some way.

It's easy, even if it's all legit. They'll ask what time your flight is... and they have to go check somethings but they don't know how long it takes. The sooner your flight the easier it is for them.

Yeah transfer it.

Yes, I still got all docs from when I send money into Vietnam.

Jimlove wrote:

You are allowed to send out what you brought in, but they will try and tell you that you can't do it.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/transfer … hew-lourey

colinoscapee wrote:
Jimlove wrote:

You are allowed to send out what you brought in, but they will try and tell you that you can't do it.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/transfer … hew-lourey

Thanks - your link nailed it, we got nothing to worry about then

Have been in talkings with a guy on Facebook called Steve Hoang, Vietnam money remittance, that claim he will transfer for you for 1% fee and the rates of Vietcombank, which is best rates, but when it comes to reality he will charge you 10 points (vnd to thb) over Vietcombank rate which mean that it will cost you more in bad rate than his 1% fee …

Stay away from this scammer

I saw a Siam Commercial Bank branch in Saigon, you should be able to deposit direct there for xfer to THB to Bangkok branches.......I will check it out next trip to Saigon.   Thanx for the warning,

tunnelrat69 wrote:

I saw a Siam Commercial Bank branch in Saigon, you should be able to deposit direct there for xfer to THB to Bangkok branches.......I will check it out next trip to Saigon.   Thanx for the warning,

Hi and thanks for the advice - I just checked SCB web-site in Saigon but as usual in VN I don't see any e-mail address only phone numbers to contact them …

If you should have an e-mail to them pls let me know thanks

tunnelrat69 wrote:

If SCB is anything like ANZ, they will operate separately to their home base country. ANZ Vietnam had nothing to do with ANZ in Australia.