EU citizen leaving Scotland for 6m travelling and coming back

Hi all,

I have decided to take a few months off from working and go do a half-gap year, leving Scotland. Now, I also decided that I will quit my job rather than be tight to a sabbatical obligations. So my question is - I am planning on coming back after the 6 months travel and probabyl just do freelancing, how do I inform the authorities about this? What do I need to do?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kristina

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Afterthought; I may have completely misunderstood you, but your message reads like you are currently living in Scotland; if I'm wrong, then please disregard what follows; however, If I'm right, then please read on.

You're an EU citizen, currently living in the UK where they don't have a regulatory system of registration like many other EU lands do, so you don't have to do anything with the Government; you can come and go as you please.  As for coming back, the only thing I can think of that may cause you some issues is Brexit, which is rapidly going downhill and I fear may get much worse before it gets any better - the bottom line is will you get back in; no-one knows because nothing has yet been agreed.

If I were you and my long-term UK residence important to me, I'd think about putting off any overseas jaunts until I had some kind of residence security.  I'd be really miffed if I came back to Heathrow and they pointed me towards Slovakian Airlines.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team